Youtube's broken ContentID system

digitalzombie

today's youtube fiasco honestly me think that every employee at youtube, has been instructed to flip the bird at everyone by google. why do I say such things, it's because of what's been happening since the whole thing started, when content creators have been receiving complaints that the company didn't even file, where video has been blocked world wide due to said first problem, and due to the fact that in some cases all of the video from the account has been completely removed altogether. an example of this is a guy called meinos kaen he's been reviewing kamen rider gaim, toqger, and some other stuff on his channel est. last year, but due to the contentID system, his reviews had to be removed from youtube, he's still planning to upload reviews but gonna try a new approach, then if i'm correct angry joe had received some strikes on his reviews aswell, but the thing that angred me was youtube's response honestly this is turning into a terrible thing for youtube, and this puts me into concern for google, and youtube, and if this continues I believe that youtube will vanish somewhere later in this decade. The reason why this a forum other than a blog is because I want to hear your guys response about mess.

in addition I will leave angry joe's video response about the contentID system.

It was pretty infuriating that Sony claimed to own the open movie Sintel, since it wasn't Sony's donations or effort that made that film possible.

I find it hilarious, especially the stories of people who created the soundtracks for games having their own songs copyright claimed. Still, the process of guilty until proven innocent works horribly for systems like youtube and the fact they are settling for the default to please copyright holders ahead of actual users is pretty ridiculous in some cases.

edit:
Speak of the devil, this just happened:
8bFLP.png

Fun fact, that claim has been automatically on that video since letsss seee.... May 12th, 2012, so nearly 2 years lol.

Sadly, I wish I could say this was a new thing that just popped up, but this has been going on for over a year. There is one thing I'd like to clear up: The whole system was on Youtube's end, not the companies. Youtube approached them, and basically asked them if they wanted free money. Obviously, most of them answered yes. Some companies, like Bethesda and Mojang, have been offered that as well, but refused, saying they had no issues with people making money from their games. Nintendo, sadly, accepted the offer, which put a damper on a lot of peoples' paychecks, but there are ways around the system, apparently. Namely, having a connection through an organization, or having a direct agreement from the company themselves, which you'd be surprised at how willing some companies can be.

As far as Sony goes, a lot of the branches in Sony are tight-wads with anything to do with their content, regardless of of little influence they might have. I've seen Sony have a video muted completely for 3 seconds of a song being used.

As far as Sony goes, a lot of the branches in Sony are tight-wads with anything to do with their content, regardless of of little influence they might have. I've seen Sony have a video muted completely for 3 seconds of a song being used.

In the case of Sintel, it wasn't their content at all.

In the case of Sintel, it wasn't their content at all.
If Sony helped at all in the production, Youtube doesn't give a fuck. Something in the video was flagged as belonging to Sony, be it the smallest possible thing. Because of the ContentID guidelines, that video is now Sony's, whether it pisses anyone off or not, because of that one tiny detail.

If Sony helped at all in the production, Youtube doesn't give a fuck. Something in the video was flagged as belonging to Sony, be it the smallest possible thing. Because of the ContentID guidelines, that video is now Sony's, whether it pisses anyone off or not, because of that one tiny detail.
Sometimes it doesn't really give a crap. I've seen the weirdest stuff be claimed, like Donkey Kong Country music being claimed by a Korean record label.

Or that time it said "Meet the Engineer" contained content from EA.

That's just it: Sony didn't help at all. Sintel was shown in an advertisement because the licensing rights, as with all of Blender's open movies, allowed it. Sony did not help with, donate to, or have anything to do with the production of the movie. They showed it in an advertisement after it was made, then claimed that it was their own property.

That's just it: Sony didn't help at all. Sintel was shown in an advertisement because the licensing rights, as with all of Blender's open movies, allowed it. Sony did not help with, donate to, or have anything to do with the production of the movie. They showed it in an advertisement after it was made, then claimed that it was their own property.
And Youtube will likely threaten to ban anyone if they try to dispute it, because Youtube is a bag of dicks.

Sometimes it doesn't really give a crap. I've seen the weirdest stuff be claimed, like Donkey Kong Country music being claimed by a Korean record label.

Or that time it said "Meet the Engineer" contained content from EA.
I remember both of those incidents. If I recall, the DKC music thing was the Korean company having their heads up their own asses, claiming Nintendo ripped off some of their music, and the EA thing, I believe, was over a sound effect used in the video.

Really, the whole system is stupid, as Youtube doesn't actually look at the videos, rather send it to the approval bot where it stays marked until disputed, to which they then send it to the "No, you're wrong. Shut up." bot, and don't look at it again until a larger organization looks into having it disputed. The flag system is the exact same way.

Google is rich, and the technology age is booming.

They should keep this system, then hire people to watch flagged videos, and determine whether or not it's copyright infringement.
I'd take 9 bucks an hour to watch youtube videos.

Although this is expensive and requires people with knowledge to a lot of references...

ContentID is able to scan hours of video in less than a minute for cents. Using humans for this in conjunction with ContentID would bankrupt google.

ContentID has thresholds that had to be turned up to be over sensitive because of a court ruling in case No. 07 Civ. 2103, 2010 WL 2532404 (S.D.N.Y 2010). Google was ordered to remove all copyright content as soon as it was discovered on the site and to become more aggressive at discovering said content.

To counteract the issue with the ContentID pulling videos YouTube added the ability for Copyright holders to get revenue from content ID matches in place of striking the video. The logic was that it is better to keep the video up and have the uploader lose revenue than to have the video get struck.

From my point of view it looks that Youtube has their hands tied by the US Government and the real problem is US Copyright Law and the lobbyists for the Big Six (Time Warner, Disney, NBCUniversal, Sony, News Corp, and Viacom).

This guy has the best thoughts on the system.
Love Demolition D+! The Content ID system is nothing new to the film reviewers however now video games are effected.
The problem with the system is that they are removing the tools that are used to make the original content. I may think LPs are fucking stupid and a waist of effort but it is a person using the game as a tool to create there own content. It would be like removing a mans table because he used a Philips screwdriver head. I purchased this game (and or waited a day for U torrent to finish downloading it). If I was to purchase an Evangelion Robot from Bandai and then use it for a stop motion animation where it makes out with Gurren Lagann then I am using it as a tool for my own creation. Everything you purchase is a tool for you to create the end goal of pleasure and satisfaction for yourself and optionally others. That is how trade fucking works!

Love Demolition D+! The Content ID system is nothing new to the film reviewers however now video games are effected.
The problem with the system is that they are removing the tools that are used to make the original content. I may think LPs are fucking stupid and a waist of effort but it is a person using the game as a tool to create there own content. It would be like removing a mans table because he used a Philips screwdriver head. I purchased this game (and or waited a day for U torrent to finish downloading it). If I was to purchase an Evangelion Robot from Bandai and then use it for a stop motion animation where it makes out with Gurren Lagann then I am using it as a tool for my own creation. Everything you purchase is a tool for you to create the end goal of pleasure and satisfaction for yourself and optionally others. That is how trade fucking works!
waste*
their*
man's*

As an LPer myself, I find the first statement offensive, but I'll bite my tongue about that for now. The problem lies in that the only thing in the videos that belongs to the person is their own voice/face. It doesn't matter if you own it or not, if the owners of the products don't want you making money off of it, that's their call. Some companies are cool about it, and have no issues with you doing so. Others, however, not so much. Besides, not everyone gets screwed over by the ContentID system. Namely, if you strike a connection with one of the larger groups on Youtube, you can arrange for a deal with the company that totally doesn't screw you over, if Youtube was your way of making money. Nintendo is a company known to make deals with people. While splitting the money earned 50/50 would technically be the better option, it's understandable that some companies might be a little peeved to have someone else making money off of their hard work.

As far as the bullshit flagging goes, Google is a multi-billion dollar company. I'm pretty sure they can afford to pay people to investigate the appealed cases, but they don't. It's only until people challenge Google without backing down does Google take a look at the case.

As far as the bullshit flagging goes, Google is a multi-billion dollar company. I'm pretty sure they can afford to pay people to investigate the appealed cases, but they don't. It's only until people challenge Google without backing down does Google take a look at the case.

The issue is that they are a multi-billion dollar company because of their sheer volume of users. Because of this volume they can not afford to have humans work the content matches automatically. They also can not afford to have computers work these cases because of that court ruling.

The good news is that when google gets those floating datacenters operational we wont have these ContentID issues anymore.

Back