Zakkon needs YOU to pick a TV for him!

Zakkon

Hey all, so I'm kinda at a crossroads here. It's christmas and my brithday soon, so it's time to decide on what I want my parents to get me this year. I've decided that what I want, is a brand-new widescreen HD TV, and that my sister gets my current 32-inch TV.

To be precise, what I'm looking for is a nice gaming TV:
Must be 42-inch or bigger
HD 1080p
100hz, prefer being able to turn it down to 50hz by changing a setting
1 or more HDMI units
1 SCART unit
Price range is around 680$

The biggest decision other then the size right now, would be if I want LCD, or LED.
One store told me that if I'm gaming, I want a LCD screen, and I should use 50hz. When I'm watching television, I should turn it back up to 100hz. This same store also told me that the bigger the screen is, (over 42-inch) the less of the color black you get, which results in worse picture quality. They also mentioned that LED screens only have good quality of you're looking at it from directly infront of it, so it's not ideal if you're a few people watching it.

Other store told me the opposite. They said that I want a 50-inch plasma 600hz tv. The price difference was not too big. They claim that a bigger screen-size won't affect anything at all.

I'm still kind of confused though, as to what the differences between LCD, LED, and plasma. I'm aware LED is just a "newer version" of LCD, using light emitting diodes, hence the name. Other then that, I have no idea what the differences are, exept that LED tends to be more expensive then LCD. Also, I can't seem to find info about what they mean by "plasma". Is plasma a newer version of LED or what? :S What difference is there in terms of quality?
After some searching the interwebs and visiting some stores, I've come up with 3 possible candidates.
LG 50PT351N 50-inch 600hz plasma, 735$ http://www.lg.com/se/tv-audio-video/tv/LG-plasma-tv-50PT351N.jsp (Sorry, couldn't find any english site.)
Philips 42PFL4606H 42-inch LCD 100hz, 680$ http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/2-2719588/TVs/Philips-47PFL4606H-Product-Info
Philips 47PFL4606 47-inch LCD 100hz, 735$ http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/2-2712595/TVs/Philips-42PFL4606H-Product-Info

All in all, please just give me some tips and hints, as to what I should get as my gaming tv. LCD, LED or plasma? 100hz or 600hz? If you are a geek feel free to g33k yourself out ;)

How about this?
NotionalTV.JPG

Really good price. Wide screen. In color!
I think you can get for 3 dollars at a dumpster in new jersey!

Your Welcome. :3

Honestly, old tv's are better for gaming. The screen doesn't wear out and you can actually see the entire screen.

That pictures makes lots of sense. You just drink ocean water. He filtered it.

Did you just ask for a TV with a SCART unit on it? Are we back in 1970?
The "box" that gets all the television channels needs a SCART cable to show them on a screen. Or atleast mine does :X
Besides, don't all TV's have a SCART unit anyways?

Theres no visible difference between 120Hz and 600Hz. Don't waste your money on that.
Okay, I couldn't imagine how 600 would look anyways.
no.

for video:

HDMI
Coaxial
RCA (Yellow, Red, White)
Composite (Green, Blue, Magenta, Red, White)
VGA
DVI
W..what? xD
On a site note: While I've heard about people owning Philipses, I've never actually heard about anyone owning an LG. I didn't even know LG made TV's until a week ago. While I'd rather get the biggest screen, I don't want ugly surprises :S

Get a samsung LED or a Sony Bravia LCD.

Disregard everything else.

P.S I'm talking out of experience from buying a few led/lcd's for a variety of contexts not just being a dumb troll.

Get a samsung LED or a Sony Bravia LCD.

Disregard everything else.

P.S I'm talking out of experience from buying a few led/lcd's for a variety of contexts not just being a dumb troll.
Yeah, but I've kinda narrowed it down to those 3 in the OP, they're in the price range and I'm able to get them fairly quickly. Besides, Sony is meh :P

Yeah, but I've kinda narrowed it down to those 3 in the OP, they're in the price range and I'm able to get them fairly quickly. Besides, Sony is meh :P

ahh fair enough, but just for a little bit more money you can get a much better product, js.

and sony does sell the best lcd's, the customer service is unmatched and the products are really good. js.

The brands I trust are Sony, Samsung, VIZIO, LG, and Insignia. All other brands with the same specs will be inferior.

Do they have Vizio where you live?
Never heard of it, so I doubt it. EDIT: Checked some webstores. None of them ever had any. It seems that Samsung, Philips, Panasonic and LG are running a TV cartel or something.

Anyways, I would love if anyone could confirm/deny if a bigger screen has less quality. It's the main thing confusing me right now.

Back