7% of Americans would volunteer for a one way trip to Mars.

I wonder how many would change their minds if they realised that the distance between Mars and Earth can be anything between 3 light minutes and 22 light minutes, depending on their orbits around the Sun.

That would mean it would take a MINIMUM of SIX MINUTES (and a maximum of 44 minutes) for a signal to travel from Mars to Earth and back again. That's some mightyhigh latency for internet browsing, not to mention how tedious a phone call home would be.

I wonder how many would change their minds if they realised that the distance between Mars and Earth can be anything between 3 light minutes and 22 light minutes, depending on their orbits around the Sun.

That would mean it would take a MINIMUM of SIX MINUTES (and a maximum of 44 minutes) for a signal to travel from Mars to Earth and back again. That's some mightyhigh latency for internet browsing, not to mention how tedious a phone call home would be.
Epic block-lag.

Mars is the new Australia...

Why was this my first immediate thought?

mars1.jpg

Phew, we dodged a bullet that time by sending Curiosity in before the manned mission.

Whether resource on the Moon could be found or not, we NEED a moon base as a springboard for other places in the solar system. It would be much easier and less expensive to launch from the Moon than from Earth.
I completely agree, We do need a 'slingshot' base on the Moon. The main issue is the cosmic radiation and the fact that some of it cannot be blocked by magnetic shields. The Van Allen belts also are in issue with frequent travel between the Moon and Earth as they are also a danger, If we were to built a lunar base on the Moon (which is quite likely in the next 30 years) the main power source would be solar or possibly bio mass (depending on the size of the base). What I do not understand is why everyone is so fixated on exploring Mars first rather than colonizing the Moon. We have the majority of the technology if not in fact all of it so why waste time?

If the chance to go to Mars came by, I would say yes. However, I have already decided I am going to Mars, it's already set in stone. I have been following Mars One for a while now, and I have done a lot of research into it. I am going. Mars One just hasn't realized it yet.

From the moon, radio signals only take ~2.5 seconds round-trip, which can be heard in NASA's recordings of the Apollo missions. Obviously not ideal for a phone conversation, but not horrible either.

at least until the biomechanical plant give mars an atmosphere/ozone layer.

Mars One seems to be against any sort of terraforming/atmosphere manipulation if I recall.

From the moon, radio signals only take ~2.5 seconds round-trip, which can be heard in NASA's recordings of the Apollo missions. Obviously not ideal for a phone conversation, but not horrible either.

That's to the moon with only a distance of ~400 000 km. Mars is roughly on average 90 000 000km away that is roughly 150x the distance meaning an average delay of ~375 seconds (6 minutes and 15 seconds). Keep in mind that is radio wave's and if they do go to the moon they would probably invent some form of communication using light.

Mars One seems to be against any sort of terraforming/atmosphere manipulation if I recall.
To hell with a single group. This is a planet we're talking about. In order to make mars a viable settlement location, it will need to be made less hostile. It's the way of life.

I have to know if the blue cocaine addictive hedgehog's, live on mars, fighting obese doctors, with his furry friends!?

To hell with a single group. This is a planet we're talking about. In order to make mars a viable settlement location, it will need to be made less hostile. It's the way of life.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/21nov_plasmoids/ said:
Nov. 21, 2008: Researchers have found new evidence that the atmosphere of Mars is being stripped away by solar wind. It's not a gently continuous erosion, but rather a ripping process in which chunks of Martian air detach themselves from the planet and tumble into deep space. This surprising mechanism could help solve a longstanding mystery about the Red Planet.

"It helps explain why Mars has so little air," says David Brain of UC Berkeley, who presented the findings at the 2008 Huntsville Plasma Workshop on October 27th.

Billions of years ago, Mars had a lot more air than it does today. (Note: Martian "air" is primarily carbon dioxide, not the nitrogen-oxygen mix we breathe on Earth.) Ancient martian lake-beds and river channels tell the tale of a planet covered by abundant water and wrapped in an atmosphere thick enough to prevent that water from evaporating into space. Some researchers believe the atmosphere of Mars was once as thick as Earth's. Today, however, all those lakes and rivers are dry and the atmospheric pressure on Mars is only 1% that of Earth at sea-level.

To create a breathable atmosphere on mars we would have to introduce enough atmospheric gases to increase the pressure planet-wide, and then we would have to find a way to stop it from getting blown away into space. I can't imagine this being possible for the foreseeable future. Mars environmentalists have little to worry about for now.

To create a breathable atmosphere on mars we would have to introduce enough atmospheric gases to increase the pressure planet-wide, and then we would have to find a way to stop it from getting blown away into space. I can't imagine this being possible for the foreseeable future. Mars environmentalists have little to worry about for now.

Till...
alien-processor2.jpg

Back