• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

A "Minor Inconvenience"

I'm bumping this thread. This option is NOT okay without a <18 counterpart.

However, I'm not bumping this thread specifically because of some rooms with this setting.

I'm bumping this thread because practically EVERY game specific room (DayZ, Battlefield 3, The Ship, Killing Floor, you know, Mumble rooms for chat specifically on these games) is either 18< to talk or 18<.

This is COMPLETELY unacceptable. "Ooooooh but da game is rated M for matchuuurrrr!", and you know what I say to that? ESRB doesn't know what the fuck it is talking about. A 5th grader could probably handle the content of most M rated games.

Back on topic, this is absolutely ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason people under the age of 18 can't be in a gaming related room. There is no fucking excuse. If I'm playing Killing Floor, A GAME WHERE COMMUNICATION IS CRITICAL, I'D LIKE TO HEAR WHAT MY FUCKING TEAM IS SAYING TO ME.

Even more rampant is the 18< to talk rooms. Again, UNACCEPTABLE IF IT IS THE MAIN ROOM FOR A SPECIFIC GAME. "Huuurrr Raptor, you could just start another room with no age restrictions huurrrr". Really? You just expect EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE OVER 18 GROUP to leave the room? This is highly unlikely, and will result in me communicating with only the few (most likely) under 18 players that swapped rooms.

I'm fine with a few chat rooms in Mumble with an age restriction on voice, because hey, I can understand being annoyed by some of the squeaky voices.

However, unless you guys are having an audio sex orgy in there, I see no reason why a minor should not be allowed in.

Also, if the room is GAME SPECIFIC, EVERYONE playing should be able to communicate, no ifs, ans, or fucking buts.

Thank you for reading my long, caps lock filled rant.

I'm bumping this thread. This option is NOT okay without a <18 counterpart.

However, I'm not bumping this thread specifically because of some rooms with this setting.

I'm bumping this thread because practically EVERY game specific room (DayZ, Battlefield 3, The Ship, Killing Floor, you know, Mumble rooms for chat specifically on these games) is either 18< to talk or 18<.

This is COMPLETELY unacceptable. "Ooooooh but da game is rated M for matchuuurrrr!", and you know what I say to that? ESRB doesn't know what the fuck it is talking about. A 5th grader could probably handle the content of most M rated games.

Back on topic, this is absolutely ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason people under the age of 18 can't be in a gaming related room. There is no fucking excuse. If I'm playing Killing Floor, A GAME WHERE COMMUNICATION IS CRITICAL, I'D LIKE TO HEAR WHAT MY FUCKING TEAM IS SAYING TO ME.

Even more rampant is the 18< to talk rooms. Again, UNACCEPTABLE IF IT IS THE MAIN ROOM FOR A SPECIFIC GAME. "Huuurrr Raptor, you could just start another room with no age restrictions huurrrr". OH REALLY SMART ASS, DO YOU JUST EXPECT EVERYONE TO LEAVE THE ALREADY ESTABLISHED ROOM FOR A NEW ONE? CHANCES ARE, I'LL BE COMMUNICATING WITH ONLY HALF THE TEAM, AND EVEN THEN, THAT IS ONLY IF THE UNDER 18 MEMBERS WANT TO SWITCH ROOMS!

I'm fine with a few chat rooms in Mumble with an age restriction on voice, because hey, I can understand being annoyed by some of the squeaky voices.

However, UNLESS YOU GUYS ARE HAVING AN AUDIO SEX ORGY, I SEE NO REASON WHY MINORS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO EVEN LISTEN TO THE CONVERSATION IN A ROOM.

Also, if the room is GAME SPECIFIC, EVERYONE playing should be able to communicate, no ifs, ans, or fucking buts.

Thank you for reading my long, caps lock filled rant.

I would've taken this serious if it weren't for the caps.
Your post is an example of why we have >18 rooms and why we didn't let any users under the age of eighteen speak in mumble, this of course was back in the early days.

The current system is probably the best it will ever be and frankly it's fantastic what Woot has accomplished.

There are also reasons behind this system; generally the chat-rooms can become quite inappropriate to the younger members, also not everyone has the patience for the younger members, be it their over enthusiasm for minecraft in room which has no relevance to the matter or just their shrill voices.

In the end of the day it's up to the creator of the room, if he or she feels the need to restrict users under the age of eighteen, then he or she has the right to do so.

kids.jpg

I would've taken this serious if it weren't for the caps.
Your post is an example of why we have >18 rooms and why we didn't let any users under the age of eighteen speak in mumble, this of course was back in the early days.

The current system is probably the best it will ever be and frankly it's fantastic what Woot has accomplished.

There are also reasons behind this system; generally the chat-rooms can become quite inappropriate to the younger members, also not everyone has the patience for the younger members, be it their over enthusiasm for minecraft in room which has no relevance to the matter or just their shrill voices.

In the end of the day it's up to the creator of the room, if he or she feels the need to restrict users under the age of eighteen, then he or she has the right to do so.

kids.jpg

What defines someone as not having the maturity to comprehend or understand a situation, who deems something as inappropriate to younger members? Age doesn't set the the maturity of the person, hell I know people younger than me who are more mature than me. Hell if people who are under 18 (Such as me and other community members under 18) and understand the context and details of said subjects being discussed in the over 18 rooms I say let them talk albeit I d have to agree with you about people with high pitched voices and people derailing conversations because they can't stick to a game relevant room.

What defines someone as not having the maturity to comprehend or understand a situation, who deems something as inappropriate to younger members? Age doesn't set the the maturity of the person, hell I know people younger than me who are more mature than me. Hell if people who are under 18 (Such as me and other community members under 18) and understand the context and details of said subjects being discussed in the over 18 rooms I say let them talk albeit I d have to agree with you about people with high pitched voices and people derailing conversations because they can't stick to a game relevant room.

And there have been cases in the past where users under the age of eighteen have been whitelisted. (In the old system in which users under the age of eighteen only had chat abilities)

However, there will always be younger members who appear to be quite mature, unfortunately the majority will always be the polar opposite.

There's always the option in Launch Team9000 to whitelist users although.

The problem is less that they're not mature enough to understand a situation, or because of inappropriate topics, and more because a lot of <18 users are, well, obnoxious, annoying, or rude. Xraptor's post is a perfect example of that. Rather than stating his points calmly, he instead made a huge insult ridden capslock rant.

Don't like that you can't get into an 18+ room? Simple. If you're an alright person, ask to get whitelisted. Not that I have my mumble room as a private room now (It's now #realmofthemadgod room), but when I did, it was 18+. I had many minors whitelisted in it because I'd rather whitelist the good ones than have to blacklist a bunch of people.

Now, I'm not saying that some people over 18 are not obnoxious, rude, or annoying, but it's far less. Especially since most of the more or less "randoms" are usually under 18, and come into rooms blabbering about Minecraft. That's actually what drew me to make my room >18 back then.

And there have been cases in the past where users under the age of eighteen have been whitelisted. (In the old system in which users under the age of eighteen only had chat abilities)

However, there will always be younger members who appear to be quite mature, unfortunately the majority will always be the polar opposite.

There's always the option in Launch Team9000 to whitelist users although.
The problem is less that they're not mature enough to understand a situation, or because of inappropriate topics, and more because a lot of <18 users are, well, obnoxious, annoying, or rude. Xraptor's post is a perfect example of that. Rather than stating his points calmly, he instead made a huge insult ridden capslock rant.

Don't like that you can't get into an 18+ room? Simple. If you're an alright person, ask to get whitelisted. Not that I have my mumble room as a private room now (It's now #realmofthemadgod room), but when I did, it was 18+. I had many minors whitelisted in it because I'd rather whitelist the good ones than have to blacklist a bunch of people.

Now, I'm not saying that some people over 18 are not obnoxious, rude, or annoying, but it's far less. Especially since most of the more or less "randoms" are usually under 18, and come into rooms blabbering about Minecraft. That's actually what drew me to make my room >18 back then.

Eh, this is true. As I said I do agree with you guys on the fact that the majority of the minors in my time here usually derail conversations and blab about minecraft all day. Just stating my opinion is all.

If you know me, you'd know for a fact that I next to never use caps lock in any post, even when I'm generally upset by something.

However, given the current situation, where I cannot communicate with anyone I'm playing with, it has angered me quite a bit.

It takes quite a lot for me to get pissed off with what is happening in Team 9000. Last time I ever went into "FULL CAPS LOCK RAAAAAAGE" was during the Pony debacle, where bronies were turning this website into a rainbow colored turd.

I think I used caps lock a bit to much in that rant, however, so I edited out some of the caps rage.

I've never seen you on Mumble, Raptor. We need to talk.

I used to use Team 9000's Mumble only occasionally. My idea was that voice chat brings the worst out of people, and I still hold that belief. However, I venture onto Mumble far more frequently now because I got a new headset.

Mumble was so much better when there were no age restricted rooms, just saying. There was a thing called local mute, if you didn't want to hear someone, mute them.
I miss it not being linked with chat/chat not being around. I hate having 20 pings every 10 seconds because people are too stupid use local chat, and I can't say something to global without the people I despise saying something negative to me.

I used to use Team 9000's Mumble only occasionally. My idea was that voice chat brings the worst out of people, and I still hold that belief. However, I venture onto Mumble far more frequently now because I got a new headset.
Get on now.

I'm curious, what led you to believe this?

From my experience, voice chat doesn't bring the worst out of people. Neither does it bring the best. It simply strips away the facades and illusions so inherently prevalent in textual communication., and by doing so, allows for a more genuine representation of one's true self.

If you're a massively cocky cockscoundrel, people will notice your doucheness and respond to you as such.
If you're a superbly suave gentleman, people will notice and respond to you as such.
If you're a sexually deviant stoat, you must live in Vorsprung's basement.

In all seriousness, there are two explanations I can see for this predisposition.

1. Everyone you've voice chatted with is a dick.
2. You've been a dick to everyone you voice chat with.

I say give mumble another shot bud, you never know what you'll find. ;)

Well you see, being 14, I get a lot of flak for my voice, because I apparently have the magical ability to change it.

Back