Android Rooting/Romming Thread

DaGamer12345

Show off what you've done, discuss roms, root methods, devices, what you can do, etc.

I recently rooted my Galaxy S4 on build MK2(4.3) with this method. I have Titanium backup and froze all the system apps that I don't need (I'm not going to uninstall them in fear it breaks future ota updates), Greenify, SetCPU, Adblock, Busybox, a root explorer (ES), Xposed, and Wanam. I think I have what I need.

Here's some screenshots of what I've done in customization.
Tinted status bar:
Screenshot_2013-12-19-23-09-33.png

Notifications and such:
2013-12-19 23.20.24.png

For some reason, the quick toggles and handle aren't bright white.
My homescreen for good measure:
Screenshot_2013-12-19-23-10-03.png

My status bar:
2013-12-19 23.21.37.png

And I found an Xposed module that backports KitKat toast notifications:
2013-12-19 23.23.44.png

So that's what I've done on customization.

As for the rom I'm on and custom recovery, I'm still on stock for both. Verizon seems to not understand what "open source" means and locks their bootloaders (which you can't get around right now), and the same goes for Samsung for KNOX and SEAndroid. I wish I'd never taken the MJ7 ota, but I wasn't really thinking about rooting or romming then.

So what's your rooting/romming experience?

I've rooted mine a few months back after It just became so slow, making videos crash the system, lagged a lot, and games were unplayable. So i rooted it and it fixed it to where I could use it again properly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S Advance, it was on gingerbread and I upgraded to official jelly bean and it started being crap. So I reverted, was still crap, then I rooted it to 4.1.2, JellyMOD 4.0 and its fine.

Edit: Device is 1 year and 2 months old, still gotta have it till September 2014. Save me XD

Still kicking my 'ol Nexus S 4G. Looking at upgrading to a Nexus 5. Don't think I'll ever go with any phone that's not part of the Nexus line, assuming they continue to be produced. Rooting only requires you to boot into fastmode, connect to USB, and running "fastboot oem unlock" from your PC (with the Android SDK of course). No complicated work-arounds, hacks, etc. to get around various vendor/carrier restrictions.

Currently running CM 11 that somebody has been graciously been compiling for the NS4Gs (crespo4g). Prior to that, I used to run RasbeanJelly with the Air kernel, unfortunately with the age of the device, popularity is close to 'nil and there aren't a lot of folks still compiling for the phone. Would be nice since 4G/MiFi hasn't worked since 4.3.

Nexus 5, it came with aosp Kit Kat, I switched to CM11 when it came out. No regrets.

I'm so jelly. I don't understand why the Note 3 hasn't taken off. They have a way around Knox. I don't even care if Knox trips. Asurion warranties my phone.

Update to my prior response, just upgraded to the Nexus 5. Immediately unlocked and flashed CM11 (M2) with stock Kernel.Like McDonald's, bah dah bah bah BAH, I'm lovin' it.

Update to my prior response, just upgraded to the Nexus 5. Immediately unlocked and flashed CM11 (M2) with stock Kernel.Like McDonald's, bah dah bah bah BAH, I'm lovin' it.

What gains are to be had with CM11 vs Stock Android. You lose some of the styling, and maybe gain some overclock options. However, Xposed Framework can fix most stock woes.

Eas
What gains are to be had with CM11 vs Stock Android. You lose some of the styling, and maybe gain some overclock options. However, Xposed Framework can fix most stock woes.
For msyelf:
Access to "Profiles" - I use these to easily switch WiFi and volume levels when at work or home vs LTE, disabling GPS, etc. for battery, and other options when I'm out and about.
Modification of the bottom buttons "Back, home, etc."
More Quick Menu options/customization
Using volume button for skipping songs (seriously, I use this on my daily drive like nobody's business). PowerAMP has an option in it's menu but it doesn't work with stock.
Ability to switch from Dalvik to ART - don't believe this is currently avail in stock due to it still being very early in testing. Also requires different install of GApps.
I don't overclock, but I do prefer being able to change I/O sched to row and governor to Wheatley. Seems to give me good battery life without turning the phone into an old 286. Along those lines, can adjust the SD cache to 1024k which can help when transferring a large stream of files (i.e. my music).
Since the introduction of KitKat, Hangouts is the default SMS app and Messaging is no longer included. You CAN switch SMS apps, but you'd have to find an alternative to Google's as I don't believe (I could be wrong) that it's available via the Play Store. I personally like the old SMS app, it was quick, easy to use, and did everything I needed of it.

Have never tired Xposed before so not sure what all it provides to the end users.

I also prefer running alternate ROMs because it ensures I'll have access to all the security fixes, code updates, etc. for some time to come and not have to buy/upgrade to a new phone to get it. I mean, I just upgraded from an NS4G, one of the first Nexus models (like 3+ years old), and people are still compiling new ROM builds (i.e. KitKat) for the thing; I hate being tied into a carriers release schedule.

Informational Necro:
So I installed Safestrap not too long ago on my S4, and never really used it. I came across a rom that is TouchWiz-based that is themed as AOSP, called Eclipse. It has safestrap support, so I decided to install it. Since I made a new rom slot, I assume the cache/data is already cleared. I flash it to the rom slot, and it was successful. Booted up. Play Store had an error, so I went and fixed that, then rebooted. Got stuck in a bootloop on the rom. Pulled battery, tried again. Still stuck. Went into Safestrap and deleted it. As of right now, I'm making another rom slot to reinstall the rom on, to make sure that fixing the error didn't cause the bootloop.

EDIT: I believe the issue was that I did not flash the kernel modules for my phone after flashing the rom. Making it bootloop on the Play Store fix.

Anyone here use Safestrap? Thoughts?

So, I took the plunge into my first rom (if you count installing over everything).
As mentioned before, I installed Eclipse into a rom slot (more info on this next), and ironed out the issues, found out what ISN'T safe to restore with Titanium Backup, etc. After I was fairly confident I knew how to restore without getting into bootloops, I made the necessary preparations. I made a Nandroid backup, backed up important stuff on my SD card, got the Odin .tar for my phone, etc. Then, I installed it to my stock slot (see info next). Restored stuff, fixed play store encryption (one issue with the rom - it bootloops without the mod), replaced the modded Nova Free launcher with Nova Prime, did Gravitybox tweaks, etc. Working pretty good. The rom, as mentioned before, is AOSP-themed (so well that one look and you'd think I have a GPE S4) but TouchWiz-based. One really interesting thing I like about the Messaging app is the Quick Reply feature so I don't have to switch apps to reply to a text.
Related:
09rK0iL.png

Anywho, more info on Safestrap for those interested:
Safestrap isn't like standard custom recoveries where you flash to your current rom (however, it IS based on TWRP). Safestrap actually goes into the boot process (not modifying the bootloader, but being part of the rom instead), making it "safe" for devices with locked bootloaders. In addition to the safe part, there is several slots to install roms to that can be made so that the stock rom is untouched. Due to limitations with Safestrap, only TouchWiz-based roms can be installed to the rom slots (no CM or anything with custom kernels). Flashing over stock means that instead of flashing to the create-able rom slots, you flash to the stock slot, replacing the current rom. That is what I did with Eclipse, making it the only rom I have on my phone. Still wish the bootloader for the S4 could be unlocked so we can get a more traditional custom recovery and then we can flash CM11 or Slimkat or whatever.

Back