Another Landscape Drawing for Taco Guys Contest :3

*points to thread title*
I own this place, b*tch.
You said post ponies. ;)
Mountain view2.png

you need to improve it, not just dismiss it.

This is only true if you seek to gain the approval of an audience. If you don't wish to increase the value of your art, or increase in popularity, then you can dismiss the opinions of others all day long.

This is only true if you seek to gain the approval of an audience. If you don't wish to increase the value of your art, or increase in popularity, then you can dismiss the opinions of others all day long.
Critique is an important part of an artist's development. All this encourages is stagnation, which brings me to the next part:
Not what I said. The skill of an artist can improve, the art itself cannot improve past what the artists ambition for it is.
So what you're saying is that rsmv has the choice to stop improving his own personal style if he is content with it? That's fine but it would make him a pretty horrible artist by definition. An artist's vision of perfection is always shifted by the artists he admires and by experimenting with new ideas.

Stop looking for excuses not to improve.

So what you're saying is that rsmv has the choice to stop improving his own personal style if he is content with it? That's fine but it would make him a pretty shitty artist by definition. An artist's vision of perfection is always shifted by the artists he admires and by experimenting with new ideas.

Well thank you for the insult.

Well thank you for the insult.
Listen, I'm not insulting you for the sake of it, but if you stop dreaming about being a better artist it just makes all your work look less like the first steps to greatness and more like swimming in a puddle while everyone watches and cheers you for your swimming skills.

So what you're saying is that rsmv has the choice to stop improving his own personal style if he is content with it? That's fine but it would make him a pretty horrible artist by definition. An artist's vision of perfection is always shifted by the artists he admires and by experimenting with new ideas.

Not even close to what I am saying. An artists skills improve. That particular work of art, if he finds it fine how it is, will not. The artist later on, with his improved skills, can create something perhaps better, or worse depending on who is looking at it. Eye of the beholder nonsense again.

I was talking about the art itself, not the artist. Now stop looking for excuses to try and tell him what he can and cannot do.

Try and not start a flamewar, be a little nicer in your posts please. I hate fighting, and will try and refrain from posting anything hurtful to anyone. Can you please also be considerate and try not to be his personal critic.

Not even close to what I am saying. That particular work of art, if he finds it fine how it is, will not.
I apologize for the rant, for it seems there was a misunderstanding involved: I read your point as referring to his art in general and not a single/particular work. Most of your points are valid from the perspective of a single work. We could have probably saved some time, especially noticing how everyone who tried to debate your arguments obviously didn't understand what you meant.

What the hell is going on in here.

It's just a freaking picture and everybody has gone into a flame war discussing perfection, improvement of skill, and basically just trying to make themselves look smarter than the rest in general. I think everyone needs to calm down, and rethink their reasons for starting to mount attacks on one another.

I'm not going to go with the old "if you don't like it then leave" argument because I can see that this is a forums, where discussions are meant to take place. But do we really need to start up old feuds again simply because of something that one member wanted to share with the rest of us?

The image is nice, but had a minor fixable problem which was pointed out in the first posts of the thread.

In this thread, we misunderstand the point Hawke is trying to make and then blame him for trying to start a flame war.

EDIT: This is not abstract art. We can tell it is a mountain from the shape and color.

I apologize for the rant, for it seems there was a misunderstanding involved: I read your point as referring to his art in general and not a single/particular work. Most of your points are valid from the perspective of a single work. We could have probably saved some time, especially noticing how everyone who tried to debate your arguments obviously didn't understand what you meant.
:thumbsup: Agreed.

Back