Best & Worst Computer Brands?

Serenity595

Hello.

I wanted to know your opinion on the best and worst computer brands.

They can either be from experience or simply what you've heard from others.

From experience:

Not Recommended:

Compaq
Toshiba

From what I've heard:

Recommended:

Gateway
MSI

Not Recommended:

Alienware
Lenovo

P.S. These opinions may change a lot.

Personally I believe buying a full branded computer is a waste of money. However if you purchase separate parts from good brands and build a custom rig, you get the performance for about 1/3 the cost.

The Build it yourself one:

EVGA Nvidia card.
Intel Core CPU.
Corsair RAM.
Corsair PSU.
ASUS Mobo.

I generally like Lenovo, ASUS, MSI, and Toshiba.
Brands I stay away from are Gateway, Compaq/HP, and Acer.
(For laptops at least, no-one in their right mind would get a prebuilt desktop.)

Also, the hate on Alienware is stupid, the stuff they make is overpriced, but the quality and customer service is amazing.

For laptops, specs are generally unimportant at this stage of my life. Has to handle microsoft word/powerpoint and youtube. As long as its not a MAC. I prefer ACER over ASUS. My acer laptop is still working good for over 5 years but the battery is pretty much smoosh'd. My ASUS only had 3 years.

For PCs, I didn't assemble it myself. I talked to some guy at Low Yat, KL and we talked for 2 hours on various parts that he had in store with different brands and did price calculations over and over. The techxperts installed it, boot up windows 7 and I'm typing to you in NSW, Newcastle.

100_3867.JPG

This isn't the shop, but that's what it pretty much looked like. The whole place smelled like computer fumes. Life expectancy -2 years.

I'm fairly certain he means laptops, though I could be wrong.
I'm surprised you came to that conclusion because that's my personal reason for posting this thread, although the question does cover all types of PCs. :p

I'm curious why you would not recommend Toshiba. I've had no problems with them personally. Both my brother and I use Toshibas and I've had a wonderful experience.

Also, I'm with you regarding Lenovo, UNLESS you are buying a Thinkpad,. That is an entirely different discussion.

Thinkpads are Thinkpads.
Ideapads etc are just regular old shitty laptops.
I wouldn't recommend Toshiba because the parts in my laptop broke down easily, such as the hard drive and the battery.

As for Lenovo, I heard the customer service is bad, which means, even if the models being sold were good, the brand still wouldn't be recommendable.

In computers all I do is have an attacking hatred for prebuilt and AMD.

I've never really asked about your hatred for AMD.

Why do you hate AMD so much?

Sure their driver's aren't nearly as good as what Nvidia has, but they work.

The only real issue I have with them right now is that Crossfire is pretty much broken right now, so that kind of ruins everything in 2-3 years when I want more juice and can't use a second card properly. A proper fix is apparently going to be out of beta by July though. (Something about runt frames or something, haven't taken the time to actually read up on it.)

I'm still considering the 8000 series when I finally have enough money to build. Having better drivers just isn't worth that big of a price increase imo.

I don't like AMD CPU's though, go Intel or go home in that department. The cores on Intel CPU's are simply better. Once they push out a consumer 8 core processor, AMD might just stick to laptop APU's (which are nice, if I was getting integrated in a laptop, APU all the way.)

And, lol prebuilts. I think a 610 is actually worse than Intel HD 4000.

I got a Acer Laptop and I've used to have a hp laptop as well... they both sucked and I will never buy another product of their's again. hp's fans are cheap and useless which caused my laptop to overheat insanely. Acer just plain sucks overall. I've had a asus computer though and that was a really good destop. I swear I do anything to get it back. And I've had a Ibm computer in my storage room.... and that was good as well.

IMO, There really isn't a worse brand. It's all on "you get what you pay for".

Example:
A $295 HP notebook is mostly plastic, nearly hollow, has a 1024 resolution, with a weak AMD APU.
A $995 HP ultrabook is mostly machine aluminum, has higher specs, 1080 screen, solid build.

They both will most likely live as long as each other. Depending on how well you take care of them.

I never leave a system image that came with a pre-packaged machine. I wipe, do clean windows, etc.

Any machine can die at any given moment, and can even happen in rashes, as sometimes faulty hardware is sent to these people. However, remember this... HP, Dell, etc don't build their own stuff most of the time. They have manufactures such as MSI build OEM equipment for them.

Same goes for newegg items. They fail as well. Many people have gotten DOA processors from Intel, and malfunctioning GPUs from Nvidia.

The rest of the problems, usually sit between the keyboard and chair.

My father uses IBM laptops. They're not exactly the best performing, but, from what he tells me, the IBM machines he uses are pretty robust. He has been using his laptop for over 5 years. It has been beaten and used by my kid siblings, and it shows no signs of breaking down anytime soon (performance has decreased since rolling of the assembly line, of course). For one, I am impressed by such durability, but to my father's credit he takes good care of the machine and does not use it for heavy processing activities.

I've never really asked about your hatred for AMD.

Why do you hate AMD so much?

Sure their driver's aren't nearly as good as what Nvidia has, but they work.

The only real issue I have with them right now is that Crossfire is pretty much broken right now, so that kind of ruins everything in 2-3 years when I want more juice and can't use a second card properly. A proper fix is apparently going to be out of beta by July though. (Something about runt frames or something, haven't taken the time to actually read up on it.)

I'm still considering the 8000 series when I finally have enough money to build. Having better drivers just isn't worth that big of a price increase imo.

I don't like AMD CPU's though, go Intel or go home in that department. The cores on Intel CPU's are simply better. Once they push out a consumer 8 core processor, AMD might just stick to laptop APU's (which are nice, if I was getting integrated in a laptop, APU all the way.)

And, lol prebuilts. I think a 610 is actually worse than Intel HD 4000.
I was generally inexperienced when I built my first computer (the same one I'm using now). I have an overkill processor, this is only because AMD lied about benchmarks for the 6950. I had a Xfire (yes they were both working, I checked), and It performed WORSE than a single Gtx 560. Therefore I vowed never to buy AMD again, whether or not it is cheaper, and also guaranteed I would not recommend it to anyone. I had a power surge and it got one of my video cards, so now I use a single 6950 and it is pretty awful. Their terrible drivers don't help much either.

I'd say that the Sony VAIOs are pretty decent laptops. Depending on which one you get, it can perform exceptionally well. Mine, I've had for almost 3 years, and I'm still playing Minecraft on it.

I'd say that the Sony VAIOs are pretty decent laptops. Depending on which one you get, it can perform exceptionally well. Mine, I've had for almost 3 years, and I'm still playing Minecraft on it.

As of late, Sony has been saying to themselves "what if we release quality shit". The results: increased customer bases and increased profits.

Back