Computer Security

Here is a monthly comparison report of AV software: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php sort it by value to get a better picture.

Notice Norton is not on the list. It's terrible, resource hungry, and it's ecosystem is fragmented, requiring different software for almost every aspect of it's job. The less red on the bar, the better, and it even looks like Avast didn't do that well this month. However, it serves it's purpose.

While Avira is #1, it is spammy like I said, and it also uses up massive resources when it's scanning. So have a strong computer, or plan to do nothing while it's scanning. It also gives you messages like "McFar Virus infects your PC by injecting it's penis in your FDD. Purchase Pro today to be protected from STDs." You sit there feeling unprotected, and the popup is huge, so I rage quit it. Also it's advertisement popup process uses massive RAM.

I haven't tried anything in between Avira and Avast except AVG, and I haven't used AVG since 2010.

McAfee may start getting better under Intel's wing, but Norton is always terrible, and most virus clean ups I have to do involve already having Norton, active or not.
This.

on the norton issue, the home user version of norton is bloatware shit. Symantec Endpoint Protection is where it's at.

Also this.

Dumb question, but most of the internet providers now offer free anti virus. may be worth looking into.

I'm using BitDefender and it does the job well. It also comes with a few handy features (idk if it's the version i bought or w/e)
It isn't spammy at all unless I do some internet banking where it asks me if I want to go in some sort of safe banking mode.. I just ignore that even if it has a check box to not ask again XD
I also get monthly reports with details such as web pages visted/scanned, threats found and fixed and the what not :eek:

last report: (vulnerabilities is OS/updates/weak user pw >_>)

pnnl20B.jpg

Back