• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

creative mod request

You know, I was wondering why there wasn't a creative server until this thread. I kinda support a creative server that's limited, since I can't get on Minecraft Classic for some reason :(

A white listed server is out of the question. It is too restrictive and the whole point of a public server is that anyone can join and play. That is how it is with classic and survival.

If you want a white listed server, then go ahead and make one for all of your friends.

A towny system is a good idea, but I just imagine chaos with people claiming plots right next to a half finished build and then the build can't be completed, and how do you decide how many plots someone is allowed to claim? Also, many people may join the server, claim plots and build a couple small incomplete builds and then leave and never return. The terrain would very quickly get torn up and littered with half completed houses and what not.

The classic system works well for classic, which is a tiny enclosed map, but a creative server would be MUCH harder for even a team of admins to patrol. It is easy to get lost and there may be builds very spread out from each other.

Although I would love a creative server where I could display my wonderful building skills to the rest of t9k, I just do not believe it is possible unless we find a system that works well. We just havn't thought of one or discovered one yet. I suggest that whoever is most interested try to find other creative servers and observe the approach they take to it and let us know what you find.

I had tossed out the idea of a Towny protected creative setup prior to the creation of the current survival server. Woot shot it down - and for a good reason that I agree with. Towny can be too complicated (regardless of there being this little thing called Google and the T9K wiki) for just your average Joe off the street to figure out. Especially when mixed with an environment where most folks are just used to clicking and building without worry of interference from douchebag griefers. While I do enjoy some aspects of actually having to work in order to actually create something, I would love to have a Creative setup where things can be cranked out without having to spend days on end mining for the necessary materials.

There was talk of perhaps doing something similar to Classic where there'd be a map setup with a temporary lifespan. Once it was full, it would be archived off and a new one generated. Obviously that doesn't address how you deal with grief, etc. given the few amount of admins we have on the survival, retail versions of the game. I do like whitelists, but agree it probably wouldn't work well in this environment due to the extra work it puts on the admins (review applications, approve, etc.). I have seen some servers that mix survival and creative. Basically, you start in survival and once you've proved your worth thru builds, you're offered the chance to be switched to creative. I suppose this would be more akin to how the Classic structure works (Guest, Cool, etc) and I believe there are mods that accomplish such a ranking that wouldn't require specific coding by Woot to implement.

I think I've found a solution, but that's for me to know (and test) and you to never find out (unless you already know stuff about me).

I think I've found a solution, but that's for me to know (and test) and you to never find out (unless you already know stuff about me).

Hooray Gurw! You know a possible solution that only your friends are going to know about! Great contribution.

so what if we find servers that have a good idea on ranking could we put the server adress down here or would we msg some admin about the adress?

We have a creative mode. It's called "classic". The last thing we need is another survival server to moderate. And I swear to god if someone suggests we have a separate ranking system creative builder, imma stab the shit out of them.

(I used the word 'imma' to prove that I am a true badass gangster with a heart of gold who really just doesn't like ranking systems and used to be a loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules.)

Back