drawing time!

I made a video of me making this (almost start to finish, I began with the sketch already done) but it'll take a while for it to be ready.
windwaker___hyoi_pear_by_aviarei-d5hdbve.png

I don't know if this even qualifies since it's hardly even my original concept (as I was following steps because Maya is really freaking confusing), but we're making space ships in my intro to digital animation class :x
tumblr_mbopdeXzvc1ri9kyzo1_500.png

So.. this started out as Cross Hatching practice.. 5 days later and it turned into this. I'm pretty proud of it.
your_memories_will_be_mine__by_brony2you-d5hgogq.png
while this, without a doubt, is a great peace, i do believe that if you use cross hatching the highlights and shadows should be based more on that rather than the colors you've filled it in with. Again, this is probably one of my favorite pieces of yours since the cross-hatch. gives it a nice and detailed feel which i kind of miss in your work (hence why i suggested you to try out cell shading :3 ).

So.. this started out as Cross Hatching practice.. 5 days later and it turned into this. I'm pretty proud of it.
your_memories_will_be_mine__by_brony2you-d5hgogq.png
When doing hatching, the lines should follow the form and volume of the object rather that going into random directions. That's the reason your hatching looks like he was heavily scratched by a hoard of angry cats. Best way to hatch is to make a patch of strokes then another patch at a small angle from the previous one, without leaving square holes or large gaps. (right angle "cross-hatching" is also used, but if you don't know much about how to correctly use it to show texture, you're better off doing it the universal way).

I'm also trying to improve my hatching, and that's the basic stuff our teachers explained us when we were working.

Also is that a cross-shaped penis?

Here's an example of hatching I did for an art project at school.
reading_impairment_by_orangesonic21-d4pvva3.png

More on hatching, Hatching is when the lines only go in one direction. Cross-hatching is when the lines intersect, usually at the opposite angle or at half the opposite angle (such as, if it were diagonal 45 degrees, it would be diagonal 45 degrees in the opposite direction or vertical at 90 degrees) Of course, there's no stopping you from doing it at any angle in between but I've found it tends to be cleaner and make more sense using those angles (or close since I don't like, use a compass for every line I draw because that would be tedious)

The closer the lines in hatching are together (in cross-hatching as well, but to get volume in hatching, this is more relevant), the darker an area will be. With cross-hatching, the more intersections at a single point, the darker it will be.

EDIT: So I'm not just being a butt, here are some things I've been doing in my digital animation class (meant to be seen on a dark background lol, it's just the entire scene behind the ships was an alpha channel):
NurbShipDiagonalShot.png

NurbShipTopShot.png

PolyShipDiagonalShot2.png

PolyShipTopShot2.png

When doing hatching, the lines should follow the form and volume of the object rather that going into random directions. That's the reason your hatching looks like he was heavily scratched by a hoard of angry cats. Best way to hatch is to make a patch of strokes then another patch at a small angle from the previous one, without leaving square holes or large gaps. (right angle "cross-hatching" is also used, but if you don't know much about how to correctly use it to show texture, you're better off doing it the universal way).

I'm also trying to improve my hatching, and that's the basic stuff our teachers explained us when we were working.

I kinda knew cross hatching went out the window about half way through. I pretty much used it a texture for that drawing rather then shading.

Also,
If you mean the cross in the pentagram, you probably haven't played Kingdom hearts 2.

digging the highlghts, what kind of method are you using for them?

For the highlights on the hair, I left a lot more white and lightly shaded areas, and went back in and layered other colors over those areas until I got the desired color saturation and value I wanted. It's very difficult to erase colored pencil once you've got a lot of it down (unless you want to scrub at your paper with a plastic eraser for fifteen minutes). Well maybe it's not if there's specific erasers to easily get rid of colored pencils, but I don't have those whatever they may be. XD

I like working with colored pencils because it's a sort of... high risk, high reward sort of thing, in that if you make a mistake, it's difficult to fix it. It keeps you on your toes.

Back