Fandoms

Flaunty

What are some fandoms that you guys think are over the line? What line would draw between acceptable, and just outrageously stupid?

( Inb4 you guys misdemeanor anyone's opinion on MLP or anything else, just get out now. This is srsbsns man. )

First off, I'd like to start off with Avenger fandoms. The Avengers, yes. The " HIT MOVIE OF THE SUMMER".

I can deal with pictures of fan art (which I don't mind), and people making parodies of it ( which I love , Egoraptor's animation of Thor's Hammer), but I can't stand pairing of two people in the same movie. And I can't stand it if the person is obsessed with an actor just because of his/her physical appearance. I don't have anything against handsome or beautiful act(ors)resses. I just hate the fact that people go crazy over something that isn't very good, while giving praise to something that deserves it in the slightest. But what are you going to do? All I can do is sit here with my own entitled opinion, and not be a dick about it, when as much as I HATE IT, I just ignore it and let it pass.

Really, I don't like any kind of pairings at all. It messes a bit of how I see the characters IN THE ACTUAL STORY, not in something fan-made, and some of them are totally idiotic, that they don't even flow within their own story. All they do is create drama outside of the official storyline.

Bleh, still, I'd like to hear all of your opinions. Really. I want to know.

That's just fanfic writers, they pair anything with anything.

I even saw a MLP fanfic which paired a drunk pony with a wasp.

The Invader Zim fandom.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the show and pretty much anything Jhonen Vasquez throws at us, but it's the fandom of this show that I can't stand. Some of you might know that there was a cool little application for the DSi called Flipnote Studio, and a website where you could upload your own drawings and animations to share with everyone else called Flipnote Hatena. Well, there was a particularly large "channel" for all things Invader Zim, with many many active members. A select few of these members were actually very talented such as HEK, InvadrDREN, (Many had invader in their names) and Goop. However, the rest of the fandom was infested with unoriginality and terrible fanfic. I would say that about 80% of these users Irkensonas were "Psychotic" or "mentally insane". Most also had bad design, dialogue, and sloppy animation. I will say that they all had a lot of fun with each other and I don't mind that, but everything they did was predictable, awful at best, and hastily created.

One other thing, the problem involving Gir. He's an awesome and comical character, but the general population of IZ fans seem to only like him. Hot Topic is without a doubt one of the biggest reasons this problem persists, simply because they offer a large amount of merchandise that usually only has Gir featured. "I just bought a Gir hat, and a Gir jacket, and a Gir backpack, and a Gir bracelet, etc." It's simple really, Gir is a funny and cute character that sells merchandise incredibly well so long after the show has ended.

Ahhh finally, a place where I can finally give my opinion of the so-called "bronies" where I won't really be called out for flaming.

I really hate the way the MLP fandom has become, people have become too over the top and obsessed with trying to be ironic about the fact that they like a show that is supposed to be for little girls. There's really nobody like that on our website, I'm pretty sure everybody here is reasonably normal. But if you look at several pictures of Bronycons, and meetups, and other crazy shit that these people do, it really brings a bad image to the fandom. All these idiots trying to CONVERT PEOPLE TO THE PONY SIDE HURHURHURHUR just sickens me. It's not a fucking cult it's a lifestyle it's just a kid's show.

I also dislike most of the so-called "Brony musicians" like MictheMicrophone, Tombstone and MandoPedo. It's gotten to a point where their egos have become so inflated that every single bit of criticism is taken as an insult, then reply with something along the lines of "HATERS GONNA HATE", "THIS IS MY STYLE I CAN MAKE IT HOW I LIKE", "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T LISTEN TO IT". Quite arrogant.

I hate all the fanon that people have invented for the ponies. "Molestia" is such a shallow, immature concept. Everybody keeps screaming about how Lyra wants to become human, or wishes to obtain human hands (of course, Pinkie got there first). I hate how everybody keeps referring to Celestia as a troll, when she's probably one of the kindest characters on the entire show. And then we've got all this bullshit fanon about how Applejack's parents are dead, Rarity's parents are dead (proven wrong), and that whole thing about Cupcakes (2SCARY4ME). I don't understand why everybody needs to associate certain characters with these lame gimmicks. A good percentage of Celestia art is Molestia, and an even larger percentage of Pinkie Pie art is Cupcakes.

And then there's the Rule 34. Goddamn, these people seriously need to slow down, there's too freakin' much of it. That is all I will say regarding R34.

I guess I can't change the way others act but really, I don't want to be associated with these crazy people. That is why I currently dislike the term "brony". I'm okay if people refer to me as such, but I wouldn't use that term to describe myself. I guess categorizations, names, and words don't really matter but it's pretty obvious that the word "brony" now has more negative connotations than positive.

>implying the fandom was ever good
[collapse]Hahaha but srsly guise. the show's okay/good[/collapse]

I hate how everybody keeps referring to Celestia as a troll, when she's probably one of the kindest characters on the entire show.
She is quite useless once you get past the whole raising the sun and keeping order among her subjects thing.
[collapse]She could have saved Rarity as she was falling in the Sonic Rainboom episode but she only sat back and watched...
She lost in a fight to Chrysalis despite having unrivaled magical powers... (I get it, she is old. But c'mon, everyone wanted to see her actually do something useful and she utterly failed at it in a matter of seconds.)
There are other instances that I could mention as to why people hate on her despite her kindness, but my brain has not fully woken up yet. [/collapse]
This is not a debate, just some reasoning as to how some people view it. Actually, I just stumbled upon something someone said that is actually quite a good point. Better than mine where he/she gives both sides of the topic.

[collapse]
Phaeston-e12 said:
It really doesn't matter whether a character is kind hearted or experienced if the story-writer have failed to make that character an associable and believeable one; and this usually requires a careful layout of building a background story for that character and constantly flesh him/her out in a realistic way.

Problem with Celestia is that she is a very under-developed character from literature's point of view, she just simply floats around in the background like a cloud and her background story is quite 'formless'. This is fairly understandable from the MLP story-writer's perspective however because when you shift a focus of a storyline to a character that's supposed to be much more mature, than the storyline is no longer focused on its intended target audience: a very young girl audience. There is reason why storywriters have avoided talking about her background and including her sister, it's just not a right-logical move considering the cartoon's original objective. And because of that, I have reason to believe that they will never really be under a heavy spotlight, even if they do it will be narrated from mane-6's perspective, not theirs.

But from a more matured audience's point of view, Celestia just brings that character 'void' that makes you go speculative, and with many weaknesses she is portrayed of, people just can't help but wonder what is going on with her.

Furthermore, although this may be a conclusion out from my limited observation, alot of people who usually responds heavily into her internet 'meme' are quite young or usually not that mature-minded. Celestia in story-line is virtually a mother from young one's perspective who is also happened to be a leader. What I mean by this is that kids (who never had to endure a twisted childhood) tends to develop that fantasy view of their parents where their mother tends to be a figure where they can depend emotionally and their intention is usually incomprehensible. But when kids becomes teenagers, their urge for independence really distorts this conception into more confliting one where their mother suddenly becomes a figure of both love and hate. (To be honest, quite alot of adults never resolves this problem in their life as well.) Celestia just happens to be a 'maternal' figure that people identify and attempts to ridiculous as a result of this.

Then again, there's also a current culture where leaders in general (by virtually any developed society on Earth) is very much a figure of ridicule and incompetence (which is understandable), Celestia not really being a figure who actually solves the problem (for her own reasons) and actually do make failure probably is fueling the strange culture associated with her in the internet fandom.

There's just many reasons why she gets bashed alot in the internet fandom in the end. I find some to be amusing, but I have little reason to feel negative or positive about it. It's a phenomenone that is interesting to study and people are entitled to make their own decision; regardless of their decision's effectiveness.

On a side-note, I find the concept of elements of harmony to be ridiculous, simple-minded and a rather immature description of an individual's psychology.
[/collapse]

Sonic Fandom

Could care less about the homestuck fandom but the fucking cosplays..my god..

About 50% of the MLP fandom.
And it's come to my attention that I hate everyone from the fandom thats not from reddit or 4chan.

Fandoms I will never understand:
The Shrek fandom
Any fandom revolving around a old disney character that could be compared to as a cult instead of a fandom

Ahhh finally, a place where I can finally give my opinion of the so-called "bronies" where I won't really be called out for flaming.

I really hate the way the MLP fandom has become, people have become too over the top and obsessed with trying to be ironic about the fact that they like a show that is supposed to be for little girls. There's really nobody like that on our website, I'm pretty sure everybody here is reasonably normal. But if you look at several pictures of Bronycons, and meetups, and other crazy shit that these people do, it really brings a bad image to the fandom. All these idiots trying to CONVERT PEOPLE TO THE PONY SIDE HURHURHURHUR just sickens me. It's not a fucking cult it's a lifestyle it's just a kid's show.

I also dislike most of the so-called "Brony musicians" like MictheMicrophone, Tombstone and MandoPedo. It's gotten to a point where their egos have become so inflated that every single bit of criticism is taken as an insult, then reply with something along the lines of "HATERS GONNA HATE", "THIS IS MY STYLE I CAN MAKE IT HOW I LIKE", "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T LISTEN TO IT". Quite arrogant.

I hate all the fanon that people have invented for the ponies. "Molestia" is such a shallow, immature concept. Everybody keeps screaming about how Lyra wants to become human, or wishes to obtain human hands (of course, Pinkie got there first). I hate how everybody keeps referring to Celestia as a troll, when she's probably one of the kindest characters on the entire show. And then we've got all this bullshit fanon about how Applejack's parents are dead, Rarity's parents are dead (proven wrong), and that whole thing about Cupcakes (2SCARY4ME). I don't understand why everybody needs to associate certain characters with these lame gimmicks. A good percentage of Celestia art is Molestia, and an even larger percentage of Pinkie Pie art is Cupcakes.

And then there's the Rule 34. Goddamn, these people seriously need to slow down, there's too freakin' much of it. That is all I will say regarding R34.

I guess I can't change the way others act but really, I don't want to be associated with these crazy people. That is why I currently dislike the term "brony". I'm okay if people refer to me as such, but I wouldn't use that term to describe myself. I guess categorizations, names, and words don't really matter but it's pretty obvious that the word "brony" now has more negative connotations than positive.

I totally agree.

I couldn't care less about fanon takes on things but I agree on brony musicians and I agree on mostly everything you said. And other then my name associated with my youtube/pmv account I hate being referred to as a brony as to how bastardized and how much crap comes along with being as such.

Fandoms I don't like? Hmmm. None that I know of. There are parts of fandoms that I find distasteful, but I don't define fandoms by these aspects.

Just my two cents.

Back