General Anime Discussion Thread

Finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It is awesome. May seem slow paced to some viewers. You should watch it if possible. That is all.

Also. Yang Wen-Li:

Stumbled across the HighSchool DxD dub today, Daru's VA from Steins;Gate as Issei's bald friend is hilarious. Hell, the entire thing is absolutely hilarious. You can really tell the dub team had a ton of fun producing it.

"Hell Yeah, we were gonna have casual unprotected sex with hot chicks and never going to call them again!"

Guess what I've started watching?

Hint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TO5atI4rU
The greatest anime ever?
9ElHK5s.png

Another God damned "5 Episode Rule" entry by Brennan:

Yeah.....Slayers is definitely happening, and that's great because it's long as hell (104 episodes over the course of 5 series).

All it is is fun 90s action/comedy that doesn't ask me to think too much, which is nice, featuring a VERY fun cast of characters.

So this came in the mail today:

10917072_10205138969449827_7109826018535263093_n-1.jpg

I'm watching the kingdom of dreams and madness now, will edit this post with my thougts later.

I would just like to say I finished my rewatch of Code Geass yesterday, celebrating my 2 year and a week anime watching time thing. I enjoyed it even more the second time around, and honestly finishing it made me want to watch it all over again.

Guess what happened yesterday?

Also new intro is pretty sick, it's even sang by the three vocalists from the prior 3 intros. Dat symbolism of Jonathan('s body), Joseph and Jotaro coming together.

Guess what happened yesterday?

Also new intro is pretty sick, it's even sang by the three vocalists from the prior 3 intros. Dat symbolism of Jonathan('s body), Joseph and Jotaro coming together.

I started on JoJo's earlier today and am up to Joseph fighting some mook in the desert. I'm.really looking forward to the rest of the show.

Also the first OP is awesome.

Alright guys I just finished watching Baccano! and I gotta say, this is one of the better shows that I've watched in a long time. The dubs are the best I've ever heard, the accents really help with immersion. Subs are actually worse than dubs in this case. I really liked the non-linear narrative, although the first few episodes will seem extremely confusing during the first watch. Of course, this only satisfies viewers when they begin to piece everything together, and greatly increases rewatch value. The music is great, very jazzy and definitely complements the show well.

The action scenes however, are nothing special and were actually quite disappointing to me. Many of the gymnastics performed on the train seemed downright impossible, but obviously suspension of disbelief has to be had when you're considering a show of immortal beings and alchemists. I guess shows like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop have really spoiled me. What this show does have however, is shameless aestheticization of violence, which I found very intriguing. People's limbs are grinded on train tracks, heads are blown off, and eyes are stabbed. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Of course, the main selling point of this show is the interaction and conflict between the various factions, each with their own personal agendas. In that regard, I guess the weaker fight scenes can be forgiven. This anime boasts a tight narrative, a very large and extensive cast of protagonists (everyone's main character.....ish), and a great OST. My only regret is that I hadn't gotten around to watching it sooner.

Alright guys I just finished watching Baccano! and I gotta say, this is one of the better shows that I've watched in a long time. The dubs are the best I've ever heard, the accents really help with immersion. Subs are actually worse than dubs in this case. I really liked the non-linear narrative, although the first few episodes will seem extremely confusing during the first watch. Of course, this only satisfies viewers when they begin to piece everything together, and greatly increases rewatch value. The music is great, very jazzy and definitely complements the show well.

The action scenes however, are nothing special and were actually quite disappointing to me. Many of the gymnastics performed on the train seemed downright impossible, but obviously suspension of disbelief has to be had when you're considering a show of immortal beings and alchemists. I guess shows like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop have really spoiled me. What this show does have however, is shameless aestheticization of violence, which I found very intriguing. People's limbs are grinded on train tracks, heads are blown off, and eyes are stabbed. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Of course, the main selling point of this show is the interaction and conflict between the various factions, each with their own personal agendas. In that regard, I guess the weaker fight scenes can be forgiven. This anime boasts a tight narrative, a very large and extensive cast of protagonists (everyone's main character.....ish), and a great OST. My only regret is that I hadn't gotten around to watching it sooner.
Pro Tip: Don't compare action shows to Bebop. You will only be disappointed.

You should watch Durarara, it has a remarkably similar style to Baccano.
Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new season of Durarara has started. Its been 5 years and I'm damn excited

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new season of Durarara has started. Its been 5 years and I'm damn excited

Durarara was made by the same people who made Baccano so the similarities are definitely present. And yes, the new season of Durarara has started! Although it is characteristically slow, as the first episode was mostly character re-introductions. Still, I'm excited.

And after that may I recommend his other series Samurai Flamenco. It is gay superheros including one that commits harikiri to shoot lazers.

Back