Good computer or bad computer?

Dr_LASR

Like, my 9000th opinion thread...

Might be getting this build for my birthday... How good do you think it is for $980

MEMORY 6GB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) DDR3 at 1333MHz

GAMING KEYBOARDS Alienware TactX Keyboard edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.3GHz (3MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading Technology

OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard

MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100

VIDEO CARD 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache

WIRELESS DW1502 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card

AUTOMATIC UPDATES 240W External Power Supply

Ahhh solid state drive. They have no moving parts so data transfer is much faster and smoother. Also they are resistant to shock, damage etc... Only drawback is they only have a certain amount of rewrites they can do meaning they don't last forever.

But just for clarification, you dont want an SSD. wayyyyy to expensive in comparison to the other parts you are buying.

Well, I mean, you can get pretty cheap ones that are very small, which is what I think clayto was talking about. Very small ones to run games on. you can get like a 150gb for another $150-200 on your budget.

But they get exponentially more expensive the larger they get in size. a top of the line SSD easily breaks $1000 dollars

So if your parents are paying for the computer, then try and sneak a cheap SSD on the list xD

If not, I would not bother personally

Well, I mean, you can get pretty cheap ones that are very small, which is what I think clayto was talking about. Very small ones to run games on. you can get like a 150gb for another $150-200 on your budget.

But they get exponentially more expensive the larger they get in size. a top of the line SSD easily breaks $1000 dollars

So if your parents are paying for the computer, then try and sneak a cheap SSD on the list xD

If not, I would not bother personally

My dad knows computers a bit, he would recognize that a SSD Is optional.

The real answer is it depends on what you are going to be doing with it. If you are gaming, that video card and processor will rip through most anything you put in front of it. BUT and ssd will make a noticeable difference if you are going to be using it as a gaming rig. You can get an 80 GB SSD for around 100 dollars. Put your OS and games on it and it'll be worth it.

it is decent. Personally I would shell out the money now for the up-to-date i7 processor just because the i3 will fall very quickly behind the curve.

i7 is overkill in a lot of situations. He is only running one video card so the price for an upgrade to an i7 will not be proportional to the increase in performance. The great thing about desktop computers is if you need more juice and you have the money to shell out, everything is totally upgradable.

Out of curiosity, what games are you trying to play?

Also keep in mind that an alienware is a prettied up Dell computer and you can probably get a better bang for your buck if you build your own rig. Great price for an alienware though...

Back