how to prevent people from uploading my files

fox_news

I make mods for minecraft and it pisses me off when websites just re-upload them to their websites and doesn't link it to my adf.ly. is there a way to prevent websites from uploading my Zip files?

I guess the only thing you can do is writing a warning or only sharing files with people you trust.
Can you even sue such websites?

I'm not aware of any, other than coding a copyright notice into your mod and then threatening them with legal action.

You could be happy that people appreciate you work, and move on with your life.
Ah crane....never become a police officer. Or a paramedic. Or a judge. Or an insurance agent.

Actually, you'd probably excel in insurance.
"Your house was flooded? Learn from your mistake, and next time don't build near a river. Have a nice day!"
"Your car was stolen? Perhaps you should think about driving such a fancy car in a shitty neighbourhood. Good day, sir."
"Your husband died while working? You're having trouble paying for your two kids and the mortgage? There's always stripping, or whoring. Let me know how things go." *click*

Ah crane....never become a police officer. Or a paramedic. Or a judge. Or an insurance agent.

Actually, you'd probably excel in insurance.
"Your house was flooded? Learn from your mistake, and next time don't build near a river. Have a nice day!"
"Your car was stolen? Perhaps you should think about driving such a fancy car in a shitty neighbourhood. Good day, sir."
"Your husband died while working? You're having trouble paying for your two kids and the mortgage? There's always stripping, or whoring. Let me know how things go." *click*
I understand what you're saying, but the theft/loss of actual things of value doesn't really compare to minecraft mods, or even the majority of software.

Minecraft mods have a small amount of marginal cost (The first one is very expensive to create, however creating a second one after the first one is essentially free) you put the work and the time into creating a minecraft mod. You're getting angry when other people are coping that and uploading it to their website. As far as software goes though, this is actually really common, or at least it used to be. Companies would put out "Shareware" or "Freeware" versions of their software, this software would get uploaded to tons of websites, and distributed. Thinking about it, this distribution model does still exist, it's just not nearly as common as it used to be.

Anyways, why would any one create freeware? Well, it's usually for two reasons: because they enjoy making software, and wanted that thing to exist, or as an advertisement for their company. Either way, with freeware since they already put the work in, it didn't hurt them or cost them anything if someone else distributed it for them. In fact, in a way, it helped them because they didn't have to create the infrastructure to distribute it themselves.

Do you enjoy creating minecraft mods? Unless you're selling it (and frankly, no one buys minecraft mods) what does it matter if someone uploads it somewhere else? They're helping your mod get to more people, and that's pretty cool. If they're claiming it's their's that's not cool, however I feel like you should have done something inside your mod to identify it as being yours if you're really that worried about getting recognition.

I understand what you're saying, but the theft/loss of actual things of value doesn't really compare to minecraft mods, or even the majority of software.

Minecraft mods have a small amount of marginal cost (The first one is very expensive to create, however creating a second one after the first one is essentially free) you put the work and the time into creating a minecraft mod. You're getting angry when other people are coping that and uploading it to their website. As far as software goes though, this is actually really common, or at least it used to be. Companies would put out "Shareware" or "Freeware" versions of their software, this software would get uploaded to tons of websites, and distributed. Thinking about it, this distribution model does still exist, it's just not nearly as common as it used to be.

Anyways, why would any one create freeware? Well, it's usually for two reasons: because they enjoy making software, and wanted that thing to exist, or as an advertisement for their company. Either way, with freeware since they already put the work in, it didn't hurt them or cost them anything if someone else distributed it for them. In fact, in a way, it helped them because they didn't have to create the infrastructure to distribute it themselves.

Do you enjoy creating minecraft mods? Unless you're selling it (and frankly, no one buys minecraft mods) what does it matter if someone uploads it somewhere else? They're helping your mod get to more people, and that's pretty cool. If they're claiming it's their's that's not cool, however I feel like you should have done something inside your mod to identify it as being yours if you're really that worried about getting recognition.
I agree with what you're saying to a degree. In this case, the mod creator is using an advertising site to generate a small income from his creation. With other websites creating an alternate download, they are not only blocking that income, they are essentially stealing the credit, and generating income via their own advertising from something they did not create. It's also unlikely that these websites are providing any sort of attribution to the original creator, and most often create issues by not uploading the most up to date version of the mod-which makes the mod not work, lowering the public's view of the original author and indeed the mod itself.

If instead they used the original download link instead of hosting it themselves, I would have very little issue with what they are doing.

I'd suggest contacting all the sites you know are putting your mod up for download and asking them to swap the download link for your's, from what i've seen most people in the minecraft community are quite friendly towards the original creators and would probably agree to do that...

I'd suggest contacting all the sites you know are putting your mod up for download and asking them to swap the download link for your's, from what i've seen most people in the minecraft community are quite friendly towards the original creators and would probably agree to do that...
Most of these sites actually don't give a crap. They don't care about the game, all they see is dollar signs.

Most of these sites actually don't give a crap. They don't care about the game, all they see is dollar signs.
then you should probably be looking into what legal action you can take against them, or maybe contact the site's the download's are hosted on or something, i'm not really an expert, but unless you've got some mad drm coding skills all you can do is add an disclaimer to not upload it to different sites on next update or something :/

If someone re-hosted something I uploaded, I would just be happy that I'm getting noticed and people are seeing my work. As long as they acknowledge me on the page.

I really don't think you need to get paid for doing Minecraft mods. It should be passion driven, not "if I do this I might make a quick dollar with Ad.fly". Unless you're a well known modder who gets hundreds of clicks a day, I don't see why it's needed. People might disagree with me on that though.

It's a completely different story if someone is taking my work, calling it their own and then making an Ad.fly link for it. Taking recognition and then making money off of something they lazily downloaded and reuploaded is not going to be taken lightly.

If people are doing what I wrote above, a good thing to do would be to put your name in all of the code you produce and take legal action on it. I can see people saying it's their work and that you're the one lying. Just open some stuff up in Notepad and watch hilarity ensue.

i put the mod under creative commons. can i get them for that?
There are different kinds of CC. You can get them if it's under an attribution license or non-commercial, since they are not attributing it to you, and they're making money off of it.

i put the mod under creative commons. can i get them for that?

If it is just a CC license there is nothing you can do, This is because "A Creative Commons license is used when an author wants to give people the right to share, use, and even build upon a work that they have created."

If it is a CC BY and they don't credit you then you can send the hosting site a takedown notification. If it is a CC BY-NC and the link is a Adf.ly link that is not yours you can send a DMCA notice to Adf.ly (Look for a abuse/DMCA link on the site). If you did NOT use a CC BY-SA, CC BY-ND, CC BY-NC-SA, or a CC BY-NC-ND then if they changed your mod it is not protected by your license (SA forces your license on derived works and ND makes derived works prohibited).

What I would recommend is that for future versions of your mod you look into your license more before you use it and you try to find a way to protect your links (By using the direct link to the file in adf.ly in place of the download link).

If you can give us more information about your license we can give you more personalized advice.

Back