Is this a good trade? (TF2)

How are virtual cosmetics worth so much? Or am I just completely wrong and stupid?
What Fox_News got was called an "Unusual hat".

These hats (virtual cosmetics) can only be obtained by making a real world money purchase to get a "key",
Which is used to open a "crate".

The crates are basically a gambling mechanic. You have a certain percent chance to get a particular item.

Unusual hats are a 1%.

Fox_News also got a particularly desirable hat.

...That's all in layman's terms, it can get very arcane.

These hats (virtual cosmetics) can only be obtained by making a real world money purchase to get a "key",

The crates are basically a gambling mechanic. You have a certain percent chance to get a particular item.

Unusual hats are a 1%.

In more mathematical terms, a key costs $2.50. If an Unusual Hat only comes 1% of the time from using keys, the average cost of one of these hats would be $250. Some hats, however, have cooler cosmetic effects than others, making them more popular and desirable. For this reason, some unusual hats will cost more, upwards of $350 and others will cost much less.

Unusual hats are a 1%.

I see...

In more mathematical terms, a key costs $2.50. If an Unusual Hat only comes 1% of the time from using keys, the average cost of one of these hats would be $250. Some hats, however, have cooler cosmetic effects than others, making them more popular and desirable. For this reason, some unusual hats will cost more, upwards of $350 and others will cost much less.
Yes.

But as I said, things get more arcane.

...Because a key really isn't worth $2.50.

And then you've got things like glitch items, Genuines, Vintages, non-Stock Stocks, craft levels and numbers, signatures, etc.

TF2 trading is a $17 million dollar economy. It's a F2P game where you can make money by doing nothing.
The game is fun as all hell, undeniably, but the item trading scene are also a big deal, and the whole trading palooza is no cakewalk.

Items in TF2 are often changed for real world money via PayPal. And I mean $1000s of dollars worth.

The reason Unusuals are worth so much is that they're so rare.
Often there's only one or two of a particular effect in the game. Sometimes, they're one-of-a-kind.
And a lot of people play TF2...

I offered Fox_news approximately 6 buds when he first got this hat. He replied with "Lol that is not enough, and I'm not selling this hat ever anyway, it's my first unusual". He then proceeds to GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE a few weeks later.

Sense = Not made.
Tree? hello q. Left for we are moving.
ARE YOU MADCART?

How are virtual cosmetics worth so much? Or am I just completely wrong and stupid?
Dude, it's the same case in Dota 2. For instance, this courier:
481863_540497162629760_1730170087_n.jpg

Is worth a thousand fucking dollars. There are only 120 in existence.

The keys and crates are parallel to our treasure keys and treasure chests:
256px-Treasure_Key.png

treasure_chest_natures_prophet_large.d9daef180be1b26cb6a1b409d18a5460fdc49b13.png

treasure_chest_juggernaut_large.61d6cfbba7b75fdcc008bb35047355dd99df5535.png

256px-Treasure_chest.png

300px-Treasure_of_the_Pangolin_Guildmasters.png

treasure_chest_invoker_large.6db59f2dbe4ce4a80babd0e6b2ea145bc64b93cd.png

treasure_chest_faceless_void_large.7b00d2b77bdea2f32bd73d997b809c3a9ef69a2c.png

300px-Treasure_of_the_Rogue_Knight.png

Dude, it's the same case in Dota 2. For instance, this courier:
481863_540497162629760_1730170087_n.jpg

Is worth a thousand fucking dollars. There are only 120 in existence.

The keys and crates are parallel to our treasure keys and treasure chests:
256px-Treasure_Key.png

treasure_chest_natures_prophet_large.d9daef180be1b26cb6a1b409d18a5460fdc49b13.png

treasure_chest_juggernaut_large.61d6cfbba7b75fdcc008bb35047355dd99df5535.png

256px-Treasure_chest.png

300px-Treasure_of_the_Pangolin_Guildmasters.png

treasure_chest_invoker_large.6db59f2dbe4ce4a80babd0e6b2ea145bc64b93cd.png

treasure_chest_faceless_void_large.7b00d2b77bdea2f32bd73d997b809c3a9ef69a2c.png

300px-Treasure_of_the_Rogue_Knight.png

I understand that. I'm just impressed someone would be willing to pay that much for an item like that.

I understand that. I'm just impressed someone would be willing to pay that much for an item like that.
DoTA 2 items are largely worth more that TF2 items, because (to my knowledge) there's less of them.

On another note, DoTA 2 items and TF2 items are also exchanged interchangeably,

As well as TF2 items for games, or TF2 items for other games items (e.g. SMNC, Spiral Knights, Portal 2, etc.).

It's a fucking big business, and they're worthwhile investments.

It's like a stock exchange except you can play in the fucking Wall Street big boi.

conrod says it is worth 60-70 not 350
Point still stands.

There's really no point being semantic about it.

None of us know what it was,
You can't even remember the effect,
And none of us knew about it
Until you sold it for a meagre sum.

The point is you fucked up.

And the real moral of the story is "double check before you do anything", or something, I'm not good with morals.

Back