Lacar hosts Civilization V: Brave New World

lacar1601

What's up, Team9000?

This is an event announcement that I will be hosting a multiplayer game, through Steam, of Civilization V with Brave New World expansion. I will host this game sometime this February or March, with the exact date determined based on the schedules of interested parties. I will open this game exclusively to 3 to 6 additional Team9000 members (so 7 players total including me), but if there's enough interest, I may ask someone else to host another game simultaneously.

If you are interested, here's what I need from you:
  • Commitment - This event is a weekend marathon. On a party-selected, contiguous Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I just need at minimum five hours of your time, each day, for playing the game. This will give us at least 15 hours of game time for this event. For me, this is enough time to finish a single player game, but for multiplayer I'm hoping (perhaps too optimistically) that one of us can reach the Industrial Age. If we come to the end of that time and there is still interest in continuing, well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
  • Your Voice - I will be holding a brief (~30 minutes) planning meeting on Mumble this Saturday, Jan 24, at 6:00 pm CST (12:00 am Sunday GMT). We will have a dynamic discussion about the 1) best weekend and 2) the best times during that weekend that works for the interested parties, and then 3) swear a blood oath to commit to that weekend or be sacrificed to the Flying Taco Monster (not really, but if you like occult stuff, you're welcome to). If there's time, we'll discuss game setup. If you cannot attend this meeting, please state your interest below along with a detailed hour-by-hour schedule of your free weekends in the whole of February and March.
  • Civ V - It goes without saying that you need a copy of Civ V to play. Current Steam price for the game is 30 USD EDIT: Plus another 30 USD for the BNW expansion, but you might get lucky if a sale hits before the event. Otherwise, all you enthusiasts who got the game when it was 5 bucks give yourselves a pat on the back.

EDIT

Schedule:
Friday February 20, 10:30 pm - 1:30 am CST Saturday (3 hours)
Saturday February 21, 10:30am - 4:30 pm CST (6 hours)
Sunday February 22, 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm CST (6 hours)

Game Options:
Map Type: (TBD)
Map Size: Huge
Game Pace: Standard
Starting Era: Ancient
Turn Mode: Simultaneous
Difficulty: Prince
Victory: Time, Science, Domination, Cultural, and Diplomatic allowed

Max Turns: Standard
Turn timer disabled
Policy saving enabled
Promotion saving enabled
Complete elimination disabled
Start bias disabled
Ancient Ruins enabled
Barbarians enabled
City razing enabled
Espionage enabled
One-City Challenge disabled
Pitboss enabled
Quick movement enabled
Quick combat enabled
Raging Barbarians disabled
Random Personalities enabled

DLC: BNW

Confirmed Attendees
Game 1:
  • lacar1601 (host)
  • MiniCacti
  • that_taco_guy
  • <open>
  • <open>
  • <open>
  • <open>

• Civ V - It goes without saying that you need a copy of Civ V to play. Current Steam price for the game is 30 USD, but you might get lucky if a sale hits before the event. Otherwise, all you enthusiasts who got the game when it was 5 bucks give yourselves a pat on the back.
If you're planning on playing Brave New World, that's an additional $30 one would have to pay (outside of a sale) if one does not have Civ 5 in the first place.

Ouch! That's unfortunate, but the plan is still to have the BNW expansion.

If this ends up being a problem for those interested, we can discuss it at the planning meeting.

I'd be all for it, except Fridays are my late nights at work so the 3 days of weekend would be a no-go for me. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday would have fit my schedule much better. And I'll be in Texas at PAX South during the time you are planning this meeting, so everything is working against me in this ordeal.

I'd be intrested to join, but sunday night won't work for me since I have to go to work on monday and I'm at GMT+1.

If you think a particular day won't work for you, show up to the planning meeting anyway. We can discuss times that will work better for most people, even if we have to redistribute the hours for one day into longer play sessions for the other two days.

the 25th of January is a Sunday, btw... :confused:

I live in Mountain Time, and work until late on Friday nights (8:30 is when my shift ends, but won't be home until 9pm earliest).
My Saturday evenings are usually occupied by irl gaming sessions... but I can miss them if its planed in enough advance

I have the required games and am very interested :D

the 25th of January is a Sunday, btw... :confused:

Ack! As I was making the post, I originally had the meet set to Sunday, but changed my mind halfway through. I forgot to change the day number.
To confirm, the planning meeting is Saturday the 24th.

Extremely low attendance rate at this planning meeting, probably due to PAX South.
I will schedule another planning meeting for Saturday January 31 at 2:00 pm CST (8:00 pm GMT).

In the meantime, I have updated the original post with a tentative schedule and game options based on current feedback. Please voice your thoughts at the next planning meeting.

Midweek reminder for the next planning meeting. If you are interested, read the above proposal and consider your preferences. So far, there's only one other potential player, so there's a lot of wiggle room that can be given to the current schedule.

Back