Man of Steel thoughts.

Flaunty

Since Man of Steel came out last week on Friday and the reviews online have been mixed all-around, I'd like to know what you guys think on the new movie. I've talked to others, generally asking them about the movie and the franchise on how it got to where it is today. A lot of people tend to see Superman as worn out and cliche, but I still think that people new to comic books (youngsters), and the people interested in the world of DC still love the Superman franchise.

The thing about this movie that sets it apart from the others is the fact it's going deep into Clark's origin story. In the movie, it's supposed to tell where Clark came from, and truly tell what Superman is and not just some pretty boy in tights. The movie occasionally sets director's and writer's ( Snyder and Nolan) opinion and viewpoints into the plot.

I really won't let any spoilers go, so I'm just going to say what's already been told in the trailers and interviews.

The writers thought about going into a very different start of a Superman movie.

1. Lex Luthor isn't the villain in this movie.

2. Krypton is the start of his story ( and not some farm in Kansas).

3. Superman isn't some wimpy loverboy saving his family.

4. Jor-el is awesome and a main character.

5. The story focuses on the fate of Kal-El's race.

Just a few points.

The main point of this movie was to focus into a very serious and tell the truth of Clark's beginning, and everybody making the movie wanted to keep it that way.

I went to go see it, though it was pretty good and stayed where they projected the movie to be. Henry Cavil did a good job playing the role of Kal-El, and I loved General Zod and Jor-El. Everyone else didn't really hype me up in the movie too much, but I did loved the acting of these characters in the movie the most.

The beginning in my opinion was the best part of the entire movie. It really captured the feeling of Kal's beginning in a just one act. It was probably one of the best introductions to a Superhero movie I've seen in a while, and it gave me the feels that came along with the scenery of the intro.

The middle was titled off by a lot of points, mainly because the writing got really weird and didn't focus on Clark's childhood too much.

Most of the parts that I was hoping for in the movie came in through Flashbacks. It was pretty disappointing, because I really wanted to see Clark's childhood. In the comics, Clark suffered a lot in his childhood because of the abnormalities he had to face with. He was constantly put down by his peers and he felt like a freak. The movie does show this, with the scene of him in School trying to signal out the sounds around him as a child and trying to hold back his tension and aggression he has with bullies putting him down, but I just didn't feel it showed Clark's emotions much. Every time he came close to showing himself, it was bland. It felt just like any other good person would do. It didn't show Clark's reaction and the person that he is. This was probably the most disappointing part of the movie for me.

The rest of the movie after that was just action and awesome special effects. There were points where I felt like Clark really did stand out and people around him tested his personality, but it wasn't a main point after that. I really enjoyed the fight scenes, though. It was a mixture of great visual effects ( coming from Snyder) and the Brutal good-ness of any others Snyder has made. Every single time a fight would happen it felt exciting and great because of the skills that the Director put into the movie. So the fights scenes were very good in my opinion, but for SOME people, they might just go on for too long.
The movie ends on a bright side, showing exactly what you were expecting if you're familiar with Superman's story, even though I thought it was too quick.

I really thought this a great Superman movie. In my honest opinion, it's better than anything past movies have tried to show on how he became the person he is, and telling where he came from. But in general, as a movie, I think it's still good, but not great. There could have been tweaks here and there in the story and transitions with the fight scenes that could have made this one of the best movies of the year, especially with the great movie developers behind this. But I think that since it IS a Superman movie, they tried putting a little of what casual people hope see when go and watch a Superhero flick. It's a good movie, even with the tiny nitpicks people try to point out, and you'll still enjoy it.

My biggest issue is trying to rectify the fact that this is the same universe as the dark knight movies. Superman's fight was so large... I feel like it was completely over the top.

He was stating an opinion, you don't have to try to prove is opinion wrong with another opinion.
All I'm saying is that it's accurate. In the terms of the comics that sort of stuff happens.

I'm not trying to prove his opinion wrong. It's just nice to see an actual big battle for once. You didn't get that sort of stuff with any Superman movie before.

Personally I liked the movie, hands down the best Superman movie made, and actually liked the long fight scene against Zod. It was the first fight I've seen in a LONG time that truly felt SUPER, given it did go on longer than it had to...

I also thought that a few scenes were missing. It kinda jumped from major scene to major scene without any real transition scenes in between. And I didn't have a problem with a few of the back story scenes being out of order. It's a Nolen movie, it isn't really that new (see Memento) , plus Batman Begins did something similar with that.

If they do a sequel, which they are, I think it'll be better because Superman's backstory is hard to tell in just two hours, cause there's a lot that needs to be told.

TL;DR
I'd give it a 6/10

Personally I liked the movie, hands down the best Superman movie made, and actually liked the long fight scene against Zod. It was the first fight I've seen in a LONG time that truly felt SUPER, given it did go on longer than it had to...

I also thought that a few scenes were missing. It kinda jumped from major scene to major scene without any real transition scenes in between. And I didn't have a problem with a few of the back story scenes being out of order. It's a Nolen movie, it isn't really that new (see Memento) , plus Batman Begins did something similar with that.

If they do a sequel, which they are, I think it'll be better because Superman's backstory is hard to tell in just two hours, cause there's a lot that needs to be told.

TL;DR
I'd give it a 6/10
Best Superman movie ever made...it gets a 6/10? >.>

Honestly I didn't have a problem with the lack of backstory. It did the flashbacks to important stuff, that's all we truely need. We don't need an extra half an hour of the movie dedicated to him just growing up on the farm, really.

My main problem with the ending was that it was far too michael Bay for me. Too much explosion, and destruction just because they could.

It was like... everything was suddenly wired with explosions. They tried to make the ending fight too big, for the sake of making it explosive. It's going to tough to top this.

My other problems with the movie stem from acting... I felt like Superman's eyes were dead the entire time. No anger, not love, no... nothing. He was just kind of staring the whole time. I spent 1/2 the movie trying to figure out if Zod was CG or not... all of his facial expressions were so robotic.

And I swear the plot of the movie was taken from that episode of Futurama where they were trying to get Single Female Lawyer back on TV.

If Lois can't figure out that that's Superman working at the Daily Planet in the sequel, I'm walking out. I'm willing to believe that people don't recognize him because of the glasses, but for crissake she was questioning his mother about him... she was at his father's grave. There's no way she doesn't know It's him. Yet, that last seen (Right after the "Welcome to the Planet" line... the biggest "I see what they did there." moment of the entire film) I'm left to wonder if a pulitzer prize winning investigative journalist can't piece together that the guy she made out with, visited his mother, and his father's grave with, is the same guy that's working for her newspaper now (and has the same name as him too!). The reason I think they might pull this one was her reaction when she was introduced to Clark Kent... the "Welcome to the Planet" line seemed like something the audience was supposed to get, but she didn't. It seemed like business as usual for her.

My main problem with the ending was that it was far too michael Bay for me. Too much explosion, and destruction just because they could.

It was like... everything was suddenly wired with explosions. They tried to make the ending fight too big, for the sake of making it explosive. It's going to tough to top this.

My other problems with the movie stem from acting... I felt like Superman's eyes were dead the entire time. No anger, not love, no... nothing. He was just kind of staring the whole time. I spent 1/2 the movie trying to figure out if Zod was CG or not... all of his facial expressions were so robotic.

And I swear the plot of the movie was taken from that episode of Futurama where they were trying to get Single Female Lawyer back on TV.

If Lois can't figure out that that's Superman working at the Daily Planet in the sequel, I'm walking out. I'm willing to believe that people don't recognize him because of the glasses, but for crissake she was questioning his mother about him... she was at his father's grave. There's no way she doesn't know It's him. Yet, that last seen (Right after the "Welcome to the Planet" line... the biggest "I see what they did there." moment of the entire film) I'm left to wonder if a pulitzer prize winning investigative journalist can't piece together that the guy she made out with, visited his mother, and his father's grave with, is the same guy that's working for her newspaper now (and has the same name as him too!). The reason I think they might pull this one was her reaction when she was introduced to Clark Kent... the "Welcome to the Planet" line seemed like something the audience was supposed to get, but she didn't. It seemed like business as usual for her.
....Lois totally knows who he is...from like, the beginning of the movie. That was the whole point of
why the FBI captured her

....Lois totally knows who he is...from like, the beginning of the movie. That was the whole point of
why the FBI captured her
She better. That scene was poorly done... I'm wondering it they filmed it first and tried to make it ambiguous.

And if people reading this thread are worried about spoilers... They shouldn't be reading this thread.

The only real problem I had with the movie, is why the atmosphere change made any sort of difference in regards to their powers.

Conclusion I came to was that perhaps Kryptonian atmosphere has kryptonite in it, like 100 ppm or something.

Best Superman movie ever made...it gets a 6/10? >.>

Honestly I didn't have a problem with the lack of backstory. It did the flashbacks to important stuff, that's all we truely need. We don't need an extra half an hour of the movie dedicated to him just growing up on the farm, really.
Superman is a VERY HARD hero to tackle and has a lot of story about him that needs to be covered. Personally I just felt like the plot was moving a little fast, but I guess you're right and seeing a half an hour of him growing up on a farm would get boring after a while. The movie was hard for me to judge... @_o

Not to mention, I was really on the edge of 6 and 7.

Also my rating system is different and a 5 in my books is average.

Back