Microsoft "Rumored" To Buy Mojang?

Well....No. He's relinquishing control of the company along with the two other founders. Notch actually only had about 1/3 of the company, so his share is just under a billion.
At that point, does the difference really matter?

Twitter's probably going to have a meltdown today with the sounds of "Why Mojang? WHY?"

I for one welcome our new Microsoft overlords.

Twitter's probably going to have a meltdown today with the sounds of "Why Mojang? WHY?"

I for one welcome our new Microsoft overlords.
As a Mac user, I have absolutely no reason to trust Microsoft's willingness to embrace cross-compatibility. They've screwed non-windows users over for decades, no reason to believe they would change now.

Reading through this I was a bit concerned at first, but honestly I can understand Notch's perspective. He's an honest guy, and he honestly never planned, nor wanted minecraft to become what it was today. I'm sure he's still proud of it, but if he continues with Mojang all he'll ever accomplish is more minecraft, and he's been very clear from the beginning that he has intended all along to make more games and do more. I wish him luck, and I feel a game like minecraft, already having such mass appeal and interest, might actually be able to benefit from microsofts acquisition. At the very least microsoft would have to try pretty hard to mess it up.

Just read up on some of the info coming out about this, one of the prominent things coming up is the theory that MS may be intending to use MC as an incentive to buy the Windows phone. That seems pretty far-fetched, and a pricey gamble if that is their primary motive for this acquisition. Why would I buy a MS phone JUST for MC, when it is already widely available on other mobile OSs/phones? I just don't see how this acquisition is going to prove very fruitful for MS at this time with the current version (1.X) unless they release something totally new (ex. 2.X) for there to be new revenue. I think the revenue stream from MC has already reached its apex without something new being infused into the game.

For me, one of the cool things about this game is that I bought it for something like $20 when it was in beta, and I am not going to be charged to buy any new updates as they are released. Now I'm worried that those updates are going to begin to dwindle and MS will hold them for a new MC built from the ground up. I may still buy the new MC, I'm not saying I won't, but I don't like the idea that my purchase is going to lose it's power probably now sooner rather than later.

As an owner of the PS3 version of Minecraft, as well as the PC version, this worries me a bit. Now that Microsoft has bought out Mojang, I'm a bit concerned for the future of the PS3/PS4 versions of Minecraft. Will Microsoft decide, in the not to distant future, to comepletely stop support for the PS3/PS4 versions? Will Microsoft make Sony pull the PS3/PS4 versions, of Minecraft, from the PS Store and store shelves? AlphaOmegaSin does make good points in his video that Thee posted on this thread. Those concerns that he has, are the same concerns that I have.

I'm still wary of this. They make no mention of a "Minecraft 2" which they could make Windows/Windows Phone/X-Box only (or on a faster development cycle than other versions). Call me paranoid, but I do not and will not trust Microsoft with cross-compatibility.

Oh hey, and look, the Mojang devs are tweeting again - always figured it wasn't JUST because of the DMCA fiasco.

For me, one of the cool things about this game is that I bought it for something like $20 when it was in beta, and I am not going to be charged to buy any new updates as they are released. Now I'm worried that those updates are going to begin to dwindle and MS will hold them for a new MC built from the ground up. I may still buy the new MC, I'm not saying I won't, but I don't like the idea that my purchase is going to lose it's power probably now sooner rather than later.
Even if it does happen, I can't complain,we've gotten years of updates, new features, etc. for no additional cost - especially for those of us who hopped on board in Alpha for like $10. As for the game loosing it's power, that can be very subjective. I still enjoy playing today just as much as I did when I first started. Honestly if it had never progressed out of Beta I'd still be happy with it. I enjoy building. I will always be able to do that no matter what the future brings on the development front. Obviously plenty of folks get bored with it and only show up when there's a new update with new shinnies. For me, the game is infinite and only limited by your imagination (well, and 256 world height limit, lol).

Licensing might be an issue, but I could forsee the community attempting to continue updates/features even if MS were to scale things down in lieu of a new title based on the IP. You've got some really talented folks out there who were/are already working on ways around the DMCA drama and bring about alternate API/server options for the masses.

I'm still wary of this. They make no mention of a "Minecraft 2" which they could make Windows/Windows Phone/X-Box only (or on a faster development cycle than other versions). Call me paranoid, but I do not and will not trust Microsoft with cross-compatibility.
Well, the obviously don't have a very good track record on that, beyond ensuring Office works on Mac/IOS, and if Stone Cold Steve Ballmer was still at the helm, I would have some hesitation about them acquiring the IP. It's hard to say what will happen under Satya's helm, but I do have hope that he is a bit more in-tune with today's marketplace and Microsoft's position in it.

Yeah so 2.5 Billion dollars. Not a bad deal for Mojang. Notch can now go hang out on the beach and write code to his heart's content and sip all the martini's in the world.

It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft plans to proceed with this. I thought it was interesting that Microsoft thinks they will break even from the deal by the end of the 2015 fiscal year. If that's true, then $2.5 billion dollars is a steal for them.

Back