• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Money system in new worlds?

Skryter

Ok, as we know, there is going to be city's, nothing is known about them yet, but say if you wanted to buy resources in said city or buy a transport to another city, well i introduce to you, iConomy.

http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=354

What is iConomy?

If you want to know, click on the link you lazy....

DevilJelly, its a good mod.

It also includes sign shops etc, if you'd played on a server with them you'd know.

But i respect your opinion.

Yes, like i said 3 times already, i've played on a server with that mod, and i didnt like it. I wouldnt be judging it without trying it out. :)

Agreed, it could be any money mod, just using it as a example, also it has to be stable for beta..

At the moment iConomy has only ported its money side of things as the rest relies on APIs that bukkit hasn't developed yet.

hmmm, I think I kind of agree with DevilJelly. If we were to implement a monetary system, it should based upon the value of a particular item. Gold could be a good use, since it really isn't any good for anything else (except watches/clocks). The value can be set based on its rarity and difficulty to obtain. So, an example could be one gold bar is the equivalent of 100 Minebucks (yay! I made up a currency!). I think implementing a simple economic model like that would be fine. My issue is that creating a monetary system with no basis in value can create HUGE swings in inflation and what-not. It'll be feast or famine.

I don't know about this whole monetary thing working, because how many of you think gold is more useful than iron? I know I'd much rather have iron than gold. And I agree that we need to have a set price for items, because without a set amount for items we could have terrible, terrible things happening :confused:

I don't know about this whole monetary thing working, because how many of you think gold is more useful than iron? I know I'd much rather have iron than gold. And I agree that we need to have a set price for items, because without a set amount for items we could have terrible, terrible things happening :confused:
We wouldn't use iron as the commodity, gold would be used as the standard for currency. So, really, you wouldn't be exchanging any gold at all, just the money associated with the money. Here's the basics:

Let's say you have 10 bars of gold, you could exchange that gold at the Bank of Minecraft for Minebucks. Going back to my previous example, let's say 1 gold bar is equivalent to 100 Minebucks. You leave the bank and have 1k Minebucks to spend on other materials, supplies, or maybe even land/rent at someone else's house. So, you're not making an even exchange of gold for iron, but Minebucks for iron. So, conceivably, X Minebucks = X iron. Maybe 5Mb=1iron, I'm just making numbers up to help explain my idea. If you wanted, you could exchange gold directly for iron, that'd be something you and the other person you're trading with can figure out.

My main reason for thinking about adding a monetary system like this is for the possibility of easing trading, and creating a standard to make trades fair for everyone. Right now, there is no real easy way to figure how many of one material is equal to another.

it doesnt even have to be a mod if we could all agree on sumthing like 1 gold bar for 1 stack of cobblestone it would in turn create its own economic system.

I don't think we would all need to agree on something. Businesses can buy and sell for whatever price they want and then its up to the customers to find the best deal for themselves. Otherwise where is your economy? People would have no reason to travel and small businesses may go unnoticed in favour of larger ones with more stock.

Gold is useless. If there was an arbitrary NPC shop we could trade it to for cash and buy other things from, I'd actually be happy when I found gold.

If there was a way to credit people cash from your own account, then you could trade money for other things, which you could then spend at the shop for supplies. I can see this being very successful as long as it isn't made needlessly complicated.

Back