• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Money system in new worlds?

Set values are dumb, I'd much prefer a standard bartering system. You decide what the deal you want is.

because, if you never play you really dont know whats going on.
So the whole concept of a monetary system in a game that I've over played in the past, and have played for around 10 hours this weekend on a non-team9000 server with my friends is just completely lost to me since I haven't been on the team 9000 server? My opinion isn't changed, my opinion is valid. I don't see how you can even argue against that.

If there isn't a mod out there that could suit our needs to setting up an economic system, then, yes, I suppose simply making a conversion of sorts (like Skryter suggested) would suit our needs just fine. I was using gold as an example more than anything else.

I may have misspoken in one of my earlier posts when talking about prices, and I didn't mean to make any allusions to the idea that there would be set prices for all items across the board, but that if we were to set a monetary system based on a particular material, that all other material could have a set conversion to that currency as well. The prices people wish to ask for those items amongst each other is up to them.

Here's my vision in a bit more detail:

So, you goto Bank of Minecraft and exchange your gold bars to Minebucks and that is it. The only thing Bank of Minecraft is good for is exchanging materials for Minebucks, not exchanging material for material. So, you couldn't exchange your gold for iron directly with the Bank, but you could exchange your Minebucks for the equal amount of a particular material. The Bank would have a standard by which it would follow for these conversions, so as a potential merchant, it may be beneficial to offer more materials for less money, in order to attract more business. Also, as a merchant you can offer other supplies, such as pickaxes, minecarts, etc. that the Bank would not offer. So, the Bank wouldn't detract from any potential business others may be able to provide, except maybe converting Minebucks to material. With these rules in place, it is then up to merchants to sell their goods at a price they wish.

As far as this system without using Minebucks or a mod of any sort, the same can be used with a particular material, but I think there's a chance for a huge and unstable gap in people's perception of value of materials. I suppose it doesn't matter which material you choose. It would be more decentralized and possibly a bit more chaotic in terms of prices and trading, since people's perception on values of material can vary. I would value iron and wood more heavily than gold or redstone or cobblestone, since I use wood and iron more often than I would the other three materials, but someone else may prefer those materials over wood and iron. If I were to approach that person for some diamond in exchange for some wood or iron, that person may want more iron or wood for the diamond that I'm willing to offer, given my perception on its value versus that person's perception. Of course, given that there are more than two people on Minecraft, I can always try to go someplace else and get a better deal, but I think implementing a currency stabilizes what could potentially be a very wide range in ideas of value of materials.

We will most likely use diamonds for anything requiring cost in the new world (instant port between cities, etc).

I don't think that's a good idea Woot, as diamonds are the best resource to make good tools out of. Gold would be the best to use because you don't generally make stuff out of it and it is still rare.

Back