New Computer

Vutpa

Hey guys,
my computer just fucked up. :S All my data is lost, except for some random programs I never used. I guess it's a virus that found a way round my Kaspersky, and so I thought 'It's time for a new computer.'.
But I actually have no clue what I should buy. :P So I need your help: I want a computer that can take most games out right now, run several programs at the same time and it should cost around 500-700€. Does anybody of you have an idea what I should buy?
Best regards,
omfg

Build your own. You will get the most bang for our buck that way. If you don't know anything about it or need guidance just post your questions on this thread. There are enough people with PC experience on here to help.

Build your own. You will get the most bang for our buck that way. If you don't know anything about it or need guidance just post your questions on this thread. There are enough people with PC experience on here to help.
Yeah, thought so. Actually, I really have NO idea. I'm sure I want windows tho, so it'll be the 68€ for the Win7. :)
Could you help me? :D

I don't think your data is really lost, the sectors on the drive are probably just masked or something.

1. Pull out any hard drives
2. Hook them up to another computer as slaves
3. check what you have access to, do not add anything new to the drives, it will write over the masked data
4. run some kind of data recovery software (FileRescue for NTFS, GetDataBack for NTFS, or Recover my files, etc etc)
5. copy/recover files to new harddrive

Or just go AMD, a bit cheaper and good. A few of us here on T9K have AMD set ups, either that be partial or pure. ;)

Hey guys,
my computer just fucked up. :S All my data is lost, except for some random programs I never used. I guess it's a virus that found a way round my Kaspersky, and so I thought 'It's time for a new computer.'.
But I actually have no clue what I should buy. :P So I need your help: I want a computer that can take most games out right now, run several programs at the same time and it should cost around 500-700€. Does anybody of you have an idea what I should buy?
Best regards,
omfg

What were you watching to get this 'Virus' ;)

I don't use antivirus, it just pisses me off.
That's quite risky there, boyo.

Without anti-virus, you're running a serious risk of having everything you know and love stolen by an obese Ukranian dude who's gonna use your name to buy condoms. Juss' sayin'.

There's plenty of good, free antivirus around - I would recommend, however, steering clear of AVG. Although it does a good job, it interferes with Steam. Valve says explicitly to deinstall AVG if you want to use Steam.

I don't think your data is really lost, the sectors on the drive are probably just masked or something.

1. Pull out any hard drives
2. Hook them up to another computer as slaves
3. check what you have access to, do not add anything new to the drives, it will write over the masked data
4. run some kind of data recovery software (FileRescue for NTFS, GetDataBack for NTFS, or Recover my files, etc etc)
5. copy/recover files to new harddrive
I fail at Number 2: 'As slaves'. Wut? How?

That's quite risky there, boyo.

Without anti-virus, you're running a serious risk of having everything you know and love stolen by an obese Ukranian dude who's gonna use your name to buy condoms. Juss' sayin'.

There's plenty of good, free antivirus around - I would recommend, however, steering clear of AVG. Although it does a good job, it interferes with Steam. Valve says explicitly to deinstall AVG if you want to use Steam.
Or you can just do it the way it's supposed to be done and not download crap off the internet, clean up your shit, make sure you go on the right sites, and make backups, I've only have a few viruses. Antivirus programs make you to reliant on them.

Back