New Computer

True, but I just don't like the general idea of antivirus, I don't know why, that's just the way it is :P
RarityFacedesk.gif

As people have previously stated, build your own! I built my own computer with zero prior experience, all it takes is a tiny bit of patience and a little intuition. I had a friend help me pick out parts, but for the actual installation of the hardware it's pretty straightforward (and all in the motherboard manual). My computer ended up being under 500€ if I recall correctly, and it's a beast, so you should be able to build a pretty awesome computer with a max budget of 700€.
Back to thread:
I am currently thinking about this:

1) Intel Core i5-2500K, Boxed, 3,3 GHz 170 €
2) Asrock Z68 Pro3, Intel Z68-Chipsatz 85 €
3) Corsair 4 GByte DDR3-1600 25 €
4) Sapphire HD 6870, 1 GByte 135 €
5) Hitachi Deskstar, 1.000 GByte 65 €
6) Samsung SH-S223C 20 €
7) Antec Sonata III 95 €
8) Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit 55 €
Makes all in all: 650€

Is that okay, or do you have any other suggestions?

Wait wut?

Regular hard drives store data on spinning magnetic disks
Solid state hard drives dont use disks, they are like large flash/jump drives, thus called solid, no physical moving parts

wikipedia says they "are typically less susceptible to physical shock, are silent, have lower access time and latency, but are more expensive per gigabyte"

So installing your operating system on a 100gb or 50gb solid state drive will make operating system processes much faster, turning on your computer apparently takes seconds. I don't have experience but I can see the potential.

My original Zune has a 20 GB solid state and I've have it for many many years, works like new after dropping it many many times. My ipod(2nd or 3rd gen U2 ipod) however which uses a traditional magnetic disk drive has been through so many corruptions and physical jams etc. Last year I got it working again by literally throwing it at the ground, go figure.

Regular hard drives store data on spinning magnetic disks
Solid state hard drives dont use disks, they are like large flash/jump drives, thus called solid, no physical moving parts

wikipedia says they "are typically less susceptible to physical shock, are silent, have lower access time and latency, but are more expensive per gigabyte"

So installing your operating system on a 100gb or 50gb solid state drive will make operating system processes much faster, turning on your computer apparently takes seconds. I don't have experience but I can see the potential.

My original Zune has a 20 GB solid state and I've have it for many many years, works like new after dropping it many many times. My ipod(2nd or 3rd gen U2 ipod) however which uses a traditional magnetic disk drive has been through so many corruptions and physical jams etc. Last year I got it working again by literally throwing it at the ground, go figure.
Can you tell me which one I should take and what I should give away instead of it? :)

When it comes to the safety and privacy of your personal information you can never be too careful

Random side note: while I would recommend anti-virus apps for most users, there is a point at which they aren't necessary. I haven't used an anti-virus in seven or eight years now, but do periodically install one and run a scan just for giggles -- always clean.

The truth of the matter is, I try to operate all of my systems and services in such a way that even if I WAS compromised, it still wouldn't be catastrophic. All of my important files are only decrypted on demand, all of my web logins are auto-filled, and thus can't be pulled by a keylogger. My global login requires a OTP, so even nabbing that password wouldn't do you much good.

Also, unless it was a zero-day into Chrome or the net stack or similar, there's not really any way I could get a virus. I am 100% aware of any and all files that I run from the internet, and social engineering works on me about as much as a kick in the face. And before someone goes off on a tangent -- no, "tracking cookies" are not malicious. They track your online activity __in places for which they are authorized__. They cannot compromise your security in any way (unless the website owner is ignorant, in which case it's their bad).

To bring this full loop, I want to go back to the basics, and point out that YES, I do agree that most people (almost everyone here) should use an anti-virus. I also want to point out that many of you who say anti-viruses are unnecessary are actually not experienced enough, and will probably end up shooting themselves in the foot. But, there are some of us out there that legitimately know the state of our machine at all times.

Wooty said:
Random side note: while I would recommend anti-virus apps for most users, there is a point at which they aren't necessary. I haven't used an anti-virus in seven or eight years now, but do periodically install one and run a scan just for giggles -- always clean.

The truth of the matter is, I try to operate all of my systems and services in such a way that even if I WAS compromised, it still wouldn't be catastrophic. All of my important files are only decrypted on demand, all of my web logins are auto-filled, and thus can't be pulled by a keylogger. My global login requires a OTP, so even nabbing that password wouldn't do you much good.

Also, unless it was a zero-day into Chrome or the net stack or similar, there's not really any way I could get a virus. I am 100% aware of any and all files that I run from the internet, and social engineering works on me about as much as a kick in the face. And before someone goes off on a tangent -- no, "tracking cookies" are not malicious. They track your online activity __in places for which they are authorized__. They cannot compromise your security in any way (unless the website owner is ignorant, in which case it's their bad).

To bring this full loop, I want to go back to the basics, and point out that YES, I do agree that most people (almost everyone here) should use an anti-virus. I also want to point out that many of you who say anti-viruses are unnecessary are actually not experienced enough, and will probably end up shooting themselves in the foot. But, there are some of us out there that legitimately know the state of our machine at all times.

You are buying your pr0n? :O

;)

As I said before, I've only had 2 viruses on my main computer through it's life, and they weren't major. I've never had my personal information stolen via keyloggers ect. So there isn't really a reason for me to use antivirus.

I have only gotten two STD's in my life so there is no reason to wear a condom...

Back