Osu! Discussion Thread

I'm pretty sure Kris smokes pounds of crack before playing Osu. It really is the only explanation I can come up with for how he can be so fast.

Alright, since I've already doubleposted and bumped this thread to God knows where, I'm not going to stop now.

I'm going to write a little short summary of Osu!Standard(as the other gamemodes suck), for those of you who are interested but too lazy to actually look into it.

Osu is a rhythm, game, blah blah blah, click circles.

[collapse=Playstyles:]
Mouse only: The most difficult viable playstyle, using the mouse to aim and the buttons on the mouse to click. It's hard because when you click it has an effect on your aim, and it's difficult to leave everything to one hand. We have two hands for a reason.

Mouse+Keyboard: The most common playstyle, using mouse to aim, and two keyboard keys to click. This style offers for the highest potential(along with tablet+keyboard) (my playstyle before mid july 2014)

Tablet+Keyboard: This is the second most common playstyle, for people who have a graphics tablet. While it suffers from decreased aim accuracy compared to mouse (especially if you have shaky hands), and you don't have the benefit of friction that allows mouse to have maximum control, tablet is for people who dislike the weight of the mouse. Tablet also excels in high speed jumps, where the benefit of friction and control that mouse carries becomes a disadvantage. (my playstyle as of mid july)

Tablet Only: Lolwut

Tapping styles:
Single tapping: The most common tapping style. Basically you only use one finger, and switch to two to do high speed streams(see below), or triples.

Alternating: When you alternate the entire map. Never sticking to one finger, switch back and forth as you please. (my tapping style)[/collapse]

[collapse=Hit-circle pattern terminology:]

Jumps: Having to go from one circle to another at a great distance really quickly.

Streams: A long line of notes at high speeds. (see my video of Dynasty-Exhaust or more prominently, Mythologia's End, in the Video game achievements thread)

Triples: Three fast notes, (also quadruples, doubles, etc, etc, etc)[/collapse]

[collapse=Difficulty:]
The common terminology for difficulties are as follows:
0-1.5 Stars: Easy
1.5-2.5 Stars: Medium
2.5-3.5 Stars: Hard
3.5-4.5 Stars: Insane
4.5-6.5 Stars Extra (The difficulty I play)
6.5+: Endgame maps that only the pros really mess with.

For referance, if you've bothered to watch my plays that I recorded:

Dynasty-Exhaust was a 5.3 star map

Mythologia's End was a 5.8 star map.

Omega Rhythm (a couple posts above this) was a 6.2 star map.[/collapse]

[collapse=Map variables:]
Approach rate(AR): How fast the approach circle (which indicates when to click) moves. Higher approach rates are faster than lower.
Overall Difficulty(OD): How accurate you need to be to get a 300 point click, spinner difficulty along with others
Drain rate(HP): How fast your health bar drains when you get a 100 point click or a miss.

Maybe some more stuff I'm forgetting.[/collapse]

[collapse=Mods:]
Mods are things that modify the game to make it easier or harder.

Easier mods:
Easy: (increased circle-size, reduced Approach Rate, more forgiving HP Drain, it's supposed to be easier, but Low Approach rate is very difficult to read, so in reality it makes it much harder.)
No-fail: You cannot fail, no matter what.
Half-time: Cuts the BPM of a map in half.

Harder mods:
Hard rock: Reduces the circle size, higher AR, increased Overall Difficulty, insane HP drain, basically my worst nightmare as I am not an accurate player.

Hidden: Makes the hit-circles disappear after a short time. My favorite mod.

Doubletime: Increased BPM

Flashlight: Reduces your field of vision. Generally requires memorizing the beatmap.

Special mods:

Spunout: The most useless mod. Makes it so you don't have to do spinners.

Relax: You only have to aim, no clicking involved.

Autopilot: You only have to click, no aiming involved.

Auto: Watch a play-through of the map.
Mods give a score increase or decrease, as appropriate for the mod.[/collapse]

[collapse=Ranking System]
Osu! has a ranking system.

Whenever you play, and finish a map you're awarded PP (performance points, or peppy points).
PP directly correlates with your rank.

Only one finished play for each map allows PP to be given, and as your rank goes up, the amount of maps that actually give PP goes down.

Meaning, as a 5 star difficulty player, I can go back down and play 3 star maps and expect to be awarded PP.

Usage of difficulty increasing mods also awards more PP, while difficulty decreasing mods subtracts from PP.[/collapse]

Well, I hope this will draw more attention to this wonderful game, and I hope I've cleared up some confusion existing new players currently have.

Thanks for reading.

I'm going to write a little short summary of Osu!Standard(as I suck at the other gamemodes)
Fixed

Mouse only: The most difficult viable playstyle, using the mouse to aim and the buttons on the mouse to click. It's hard because when you click it has an effect on your aim, and it's difficult to leave everything to one hand. We have two hands for a reason.

Actually, this is what I prefer. For whatever reason I can't process using both at once, so I prefer clicking. Which I guess explains why I never got as good at standard Osu as others. I also only use one finger.

Fixed

Actually, this is what I prefer. For whatever reason I can't process using both at once, so I prefer clicking. Which I guess explains why I never got as good at standard Osu as others. I also only use one finger.
There's a high ranking mouse only player called Change:

http://osu.ppy.sh/u/Change

I had a long conversation with him last night, he said that "his left hand is useless", and that "he marvels at the people who can use keyboard" even though Mouse only is the much harder playstyle.

http://puu.sh/aUl3O/af46c729ad.mp4

Made a liveplay.

White Eternity Double Time Hidden.

Turned out pretty well. :D

So, I'm downloading Osu! on my laptop, and just regularly googled "Osu!" to find the website, right?

75c89becb5.jpg

I don't think that's Osu! in the picture...

I am just wondering, am I the only person here who has tried to make a beatmap? I have made 2 that I am decently proud of...

Also, I am rank 39k, which I have been for really long now. DON'T EVER TAKE AS MANY BREAKS AS I HAVE BEEN TAKING ******NOT RECOMMENDED******

Back