Petition to Tony Abbott about the NBN

Melexiious

http://www.change.org/petitions/the...r-a-fttn-nbn-in-favour-of-a-superior-ftth-nbn

If you're on here, and an Australian. You should sign this.

Why should you sign this?
Pretty much this.

You're not an Australian?
Who cares, sign it anyway.
You don't need to be one, you just need to be smart enough to realize that Tony Abbott is making a dumb idea.

I could rant on about this a lot more, but I'll only do so if I have too.

Why make a thread and not a Blog?
I'unno, perhaps we could talk about it?
Like a unsteady relationship with your wife who thinks you're cheating on her.

I would think that if the signatures are (mostly) Australian, it would help lend to the legitimacy of the petition. I've read the petition, and kind of agree that having Internets streamed through copper wiring is a bit of an outdated idea since there are other materials that can do it faster.

Internet in Australia is a touchy topic anyhow since we only have a few terabits per second coming into the country via submarine cables in the pacific ocean. You can have all the infrastructure in the world connecting houses but it won't matter to your ISP if they can't buy the bandwidth cheap from the owners of the submarine pacific cables. Petition that the govt spends on laying submarine cables instead.

IMO, we should wait until we have decent networks with other western countries before focusing on fibre to the premises. At the moment it would just be wasted money that could be better invested and used later down the line.

TL;DR submarine cables

Internet in Australia is a touchy topic anyhow since we only have a few terabits per second coming into the country via submarine cables in the pacific ocean. You can have all the infrastructure in the world connecting houses but it won't matter to your ISP if they can't buy the bandwidth cheap from the owners of the submarine pacific cables. Petition that the govt spends on laying submarine cables instead.

IMO, we should wait until we have decent networks with other western countries before focusing on fibre to the premises. At the moment it would just be wasted money that could be better invested and used later down the line.

TL;DR submarine cables
Regardless, why allow the waste of so much money? May as well just go FTTP than FTTN. I won't argue that the cables need to be run across the ocean. However, that's not the issue at hand.

Regardless, why allow the waste of so much money? May as well just go FTTP than FTTN. I won't argue that the cables need to be run across the ocean. However, that's not the issue at hand.
Waste? There is no waste. They are doing the same FTTN infrastructure in both plans, just leaving the premise wiring until later on once they are better connected to global networks (I hope :p - politicians don't like being transparent on their plans for the future). Perhaps I'm wrong but investing money is supposed to increase one's wealth, so if anything there is less waste.

I sign it if you buy me a one way ticket to Australia and guaranteed shelter with internet access.

:D

Waste? There is no waste. They are doing the same FTTN infrastructure in both plans, just leaving the premise wiring until later on once they are better connected to global networks (I hope :p - politicians don't like being transparent on their plans for the future). Perhaps I'm wrong but investing money is supposed to increase one's wealth, so if anything there is less waste.
Trust me on this one. Over a billion dollars will be wasted simply because they're going to have to change the node hardware now, and again in the future when they switch over to what they should have done in the first place.

In addition, as an electrician, I've wired these boxes before. I understand how fibre works. It's not as easy as just unhooking the cable then hooking it into the new box. It's "we need to cut this wire back, put in a splice box, add a new section of wire, then hook that one up to the node." Fibre isn't like copper, you can't leave slack inside the box in case you have to change something later. Slack causes damage with fibre. You use exactly how much you need, which means that when you change box types, you need to cut it back, put in a splice (which could cause connection issues if not done properly), add in a jumper, and then hook it up again. You might only cut back 1 metre at each node, but add in the splice box, the extra cable, not to mention the completely different kind of node hardware....you're looking at a minimum of $2B.

EDIT: That's 2 Billion Dollars of wasted money that could be saved by doing it the right way the first time.

Ok so, read all the comments, read the first message.

My thoughts: WTF Australian politicians. seriously.

that is all.

Not many people outside of Asia / Oceania know about Australian politics.
It's a pity, because it's interesting, and Australia is the most important country in the world gg USA

But know this:
This 'node' idea is stupid.

To quote The Chaser,
It's either a slow expensive fast plan
Or a fast cheap slow plan...
And it's the former which we need.

Tony Abbott and the Coalition are idiots. Not that the other side of politics is any better, necessarily, but I'd rather have Plibersek than Mirabella
(That reference is only relevant to Aussies)

Back