Photography

Those of you doing multiple exposure. How are you layering in? I've always wanted to do a proper group shot of myself.

This is a worm.
Ss2bN7D.jpg

This includes my past nine months of experimenting since I got a camera. Some of them have names, and will show up in italics below. Most (if not all) are edited.

Constructive criticism would be great and stuff :D

I'll go in order. I'm no super expert but I'll do my best. If you have time go here http://boards.4chan.org/p/ , post photos and ask for CC. They are brutally honest and don't hold back as it is anonymous board but there are usually helpful posters.

Tree: The colors are nice and the subject is interesting. The green and red work well nicely. However the white label on the green cord at the bottom is a major distraction. That light green leaf cluster at the top is also distracting but guess you can't do much about that. Maybe shift frame to the left a bit as the branches are all mostly pointing towards left and not so much right so there is a lot of empty space on the right. Overall good.

Le Epic Duck: subject not so interesting and not high res enough to be interesting, colors are dull, maybe boost contrast or more filters I dunno. Avoid putting subject dead in the middle, a different angle would be nice maybe to introduce the horizon if it is physically possible to position yourself to take the picture

Pool: color is nice but there is too much light reflecting off the water there is not a balance between that nice blue color and the light. Again just work with angles to adjust color. overall interesting.

Bridge: can't rely on color here and the subject is not so intersting so composition really needs to take over. Angle is flat and composition is centered so it only goes so far. Ok shot.

Waves: this is cool, center is focused with the surrounding in motion it creates a nice atmosphere. Not too exciting but invokes peaceful feelings.

Door: this is great but I'm biased, I am a sucker for interesting doors. Love this. The only tiny thing is that shape at the left, a mailbox maybe? It's a small distraction from the perfect symmetry, but I like how you left a small border with the wall surrounding the door frame. Good shot.

Waahh: something you might find in a modern photography book. Can't really say much about it but it is interesting. It might not click with some other people but I guess that is the point of art. Feels like someone who is about to faint while trying to survive in a desert with friends. I like it.

Swing: this is ok, the subject is awkward for me but that is personal opinion. Would be nice if both chains where in focus but I understand this might have been a spontaneous shot. Overall ok.

Fountain thingy: Subject is intersting but the extra bush and small shapes at the very top are distracting, just cut em out. The only thing I can think of is this dun have a solid subject, is it the person or the fountains? Focus on one and give it the attention for a more interesting shot. A more dramatic angle on the person with the fountain around him maybe, dunno. Still good.

Leaves: I like the layering, could use more dramatic colors maybe up the contrast on the back or front layers, dunno which would look better. This might confuse some people cause there are different patches of focus and defocus. Intersting but goes so far to grab attention.

Panorama: I dun have much experience with panorama. I like it, the edges are straight (unlike some panoramas which have awkward stiching) and the subject is intersting to me. Maybe not to some other people.

Duck Service Pack 2: This is an improvement on the first duck but still doesn't come together. Composition isn't engaging and the blue of the water is overpowering. Maybe put the duck more towards the top right corner so we get more of the ripples. Dunno.

Flowers: I've seen too many and taken too many flower shots I can't really help you here. The resolution and focus is nice but other than that I can't think of anything.

Violin: nice touch with the hand and overall an intersting subject. A more dramatic angle might have worked better. Grass at the top seems distracting maybe. Still good.

Keep it up Cathy and post more later on. Keep shooting as much as you can and you will find youself developing your own style, and as you get more comfortable with the process you will enjoy it more.

I'll go in order. I'm no super expert but I'll do my best. If you have time go here http://boards.4chan.org/p/ , post photos and ask for CC. They are brutally honest and don't hold back as it is anonymous board but there are usually helpful posters.

Tree: The colors are nice and the subject is interesting. The green and red work well nicely. However the white label on the green cord at the bottom is a major distraction. That light green leaf cluster at the top is also distracting but guess you can't do much about that. Maybe shift frame to the left a bit as the branches are all mostly pointing towards left and not so much right so there is a lot of empty space on the right. Overall good.

Le Epic Duck: subject not so interesting and not high res enough to be interesting, colors are dull, maybe boost contrast or more filters I dunno. Avoid putting subject dead in the middle, a different angle would be nice maybe to introduce the horizon if it is physically possible to position yourself to take the picture

Pool: color is nice but there is too much light reflecting off the water there is not a balance between that nice blue color and the light. Again just work with angles to adjust color. overall interesting.

Bridge: can't rely on color here and the subject is not so intersting so composition really needs to take over. Angle is flat and composition is centered so it only goes so far. Ok shot.

Waves: this is cool, center is focused with the surrounding in motion it creates a nice atmosphere. Not too exciting but invokes peaceful feelings.

Door: this is great but I'm biased, I am a sucker for interesting doors. Love this. The only tiny thing is that shape at the left, a mailbox maybe? It's a small distraction from the perfect symmetry, but I like how you left a small border with the wall surrounding the door frame. Good shot.

Waahh: something you might find in a modern photography book. Can't really say much about it but it is interesting. It might not click with some other people but I guess that is the point of art. Feels like someone who is about to faint while trying to survive in a desert with friends. I like it.

Swing: this is ok, the subject is awkward for me but that is personal opinion. Would be nice if both chains where in focus but I understand this might have been a spontaneous shot. Overall ok.

Fountain thingy: Subject is intersting but the extra bush and small shapes at the very top are distracting, just cut em out. The only thing I can think of is this dun have a solid subject, is it the person or the fountains? Focus on one and give it the attention for a more interesting shot. A more dramatic angle on the person with the fountain around him maybe, dunno. Still good.

Leaves: I like the layering, could use more dramatic colors maybe up the contrast on the back or front layers, dunno which would look better. This might confuse some people cause there are different patches of focus and defocus. Intersting but goes so far to grab attention.

Panorama: I dun have much experience with panorama. I like it, the edges are straight (unlike some panoramas which have awkward stiching) and the subject is intersting to me. Maybe not to some other people.

Duck Service Pack 2: This is an improvement on the first duck but still doesn't come together. Composition isn't engaging and the blue of the water is overpowering. Maybe put the duck more towards the top right corner so we get more of the ripples. Dunno.

Flowers: I've seen too many and taken too many flower shots I can't really help you here. The resolution and focus is nice but other than that I can't think of anything.

Violin: nice touch with the hand and overall an intersting subject. A more dramatic angle might have worked better. Grass at the top seems distracting maybe. Still good.

Keep it up Cathy and post more later on. Keep shooting as much as you can and you will find youself developing your own style, and as you get more comfortable with the process you will enjoy it more.

Thank you for responding! I was already kind of aware of some of the flaws you mentioned but I couldn't find a way to fix them, such as the annoying white tag in the tree photo and the duck being pretty low res in that first one since it was a moving target. Since I'm still experimenting with different compositions and angles, it's nice to know what needs work and how I can improve.

Your response to my desert-y motion photo made me laugh because I really took that picture to appeal to my photography teacher who loves abstract/modern photography, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't click with some people. I'm glad at least a few of them clicked with you!

Thank you for responding! I was already kind of aware of some of the flaws you mentioned but I couldn't find a way to fix them, such as the annoying white tag in the tree photo and the duck being pretty low res in that first one since it was a moving target. Since I'm still experimenting with different compositions and angles, it's nice to know what needs work and how I can improve.

Your response to my desert-y motion photo made me laugh because I really took that picture to appeal to my photography teacher who loves abstract/modern photography, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't click with some people. I'm glad at least a few of them clicked with you!
oh high school photography teachers, I know dat feel.

Don't worry about "flaws", it's really hard to think ways to improve a shot before you have taken it at least for me, so 95% of my shots I don't like. I guess after a while you just naturally start making those decisions without much active thought. Like I said before I'm not even that experienced.

I have one good pic on my camera that I could post. I took this pic, last year, when I stayed in a cabin, for 4 days, out on a lake. It was cloudy and rainy for majority of the trip. Luckily, the clouds cleared away and I got to watch the sunset over the lake.

tbJNqNH.jpg

This is the the camera that I used to shoot that pic of mine, above. I still have it. It's a Insignia 10.0-Megapixel Digital Camera. It was $50 at Best Buy. It's a good camera for that price. It takes good pictures and video. It's discontinued now though. I plan on upgrading to a better and pricier camera within a year.

cFGiD3D.jpg

Made some new ones since my last post, you can check them all out here!
My favorites:

My sister holding the sun:
63d1cbd2a9a411e1abb01231382049c1_7.jpg

The Karlskirche:
d9520d0cc8f911e290cd22000a1f90d7_7.jpg

Schloss Schönbrunn in Vienna:
a23d14368d6011e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

And the danube:
7475208a913311e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

I hope you like them, constructive criticism as always would be appreciated! :)

Made some new ones since my last post, you can check them all out here!
My favorites:

My sister holding the sun:
63d1cbd2a9a411e1abb01231382049c1_7.jpg

The Karlskirche:
d9520d0cc8f911e290cd22000a1f90d7_7.jpg

Schloss Schönbrunn in Vienna:
a23d14368d6011e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

And the danube:
7475208a913311e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

I hope you like them, constructive criticism as always would be appreciated! :)
Needs more Sachertorte

Boop :)
So these two things happened
View attachment 140708
View attachment 140710

Also, anyone have any recommendations for a camera that's good in both filming and picture-taking, 300 bucks or under?
nice shots

You'll have to really look into it a bit deeper but my video/photo digital is

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...5461670&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+powershot+sx120

and I'm very happy with it, however it seems amazon is overpricing it. First off it's an older model, the sx160
is already out and I got the sx120 for like 150 back in 2010. So check your nearby electronics stores and see
what they got for how much.

So there's wildfires surrounding this bowl of a city I live in, and I managed to blindly get this picture. Blindly meaning I was staring right at the sun.
Screen shot 2013-08-16 at 6.14.50 PM.png

I took these tonight while in New York City.

A Mets game at Citi field NYC.
QARklZH.jpg

E7wv6le.jpg

Time square NYC
(I had to add a bit more of light to this one)
is8FMU8.jpg

Enjoy :D

This is an Orchid picture I took for my Photography class last semester. I haven't edited it
IMG_0165_zps151e508b.jpg

Back