Question about Contact Lenses

David

I am getting contacts soon and I have a few questions. What is the process of putting them on? Is there a test for them? I also worry my eyes are too small for the lenses.
Pic related, my eye.
20130127_090240.jpg

Process: Put contact on finger, put in eye. It's gonna suck to do for the first few weeks, but you get used to it.

I don't think the size of your eyes will be a concern.
Maybe this will help

If you currently or plan to work in a lab or a medical facility I would strongly advise strongly against contact lenses. The reason why is that they WILL get dirty and your eyes might get damaged. (Thats why they hurt)

Same thing applies if you do sports but it is less dangerous than lab/medical work.

If you can handle a eye exam without discomfort (The kind done by a Ophthalmologist) then you can do contact lenses.

If you are worried about appearance/cost with glasses you can get very nice looking glasses at Sams Club with a 1 year membership for less than basic horn-rimmed glasses at most Eyeglasses Stores. For example my glasses cost me $240 for 2 safety pairs with a 1 year Business Plus membership In spring of 2012. I looked at lens-crafters before going to sams club and it would have cost me $220 a pair for horn-rimmed glasses.

As far as appearance with glasses I look more professional then I did before I got my glasses.

Good luck with your corrective lenses.

I've been wearing contact lenses since I was 12. You'll get used to putting them in and taking them out fairly quickly and you should be shown how to do it properly when you first get them. In terms of size, they do come in slightly different sizes and you should be fitted with lenses that suit your eye.

The main things to watch out for are:

always always always wash your hands before putting them in or taking them out! eye infections are not nice and they are easy to get if you handle lenses with unclean hands.

always ensure you clean your lenses properly after wear and soak them as directed to disinfect them.

avoid wearing lenses when you're tired because your eyes are drier and they get irritated and uncomfortable.

don't wear them for longer than recommended, especially while you're still getting used to them.

and don't get lazy and sleep in them!* waking up in the morning with a dried out contact lens in your eye is not the most pleasant of things.

*I do sleep in my lenses, but they're designed to be slept in and don't restrict oxygen from reaching the surface of my eye. Also, I'm experienced enough with lenses to know when I need to take them out and clean them or when I need to have a break from them for a few days before I get infections or problems. Sleeping in cheaper lenses that aren't breathable starves your eye of oxygen and you wake up being barely able to open your eyes. Not recommended.

since we are on the subject, do any of you have experience with some kind of protein buildup or something that causes the top eye lid to become sticky and pulls up the contact? The condition has a name lemme look for it, GPC I think it's called. When I used eye drops it didn't help. After giving myself a month long break from contacts, the condition went away. Like 5 hours into wearing the contacts the eyelid would start pulling it up in my right eye.

Any ideas?

Olive Oil.

Contacts are really easy to use. As long as you use good solution. I recommend biolife.

since we are on the subject, do any of you have experience with some kind of protein buildup or something that causes the top eye lid to become sticky and pulls up the contact? The condition has a name lemme look for it, GPC I think it's called. When I used eye drops it didn't help. After giving myself a month long break from contacts, the condition went away. Like 5 hours into wearing the contacts the eyelid would start pulling it up in my right eye.

Any ideas?

That is one reason why I DON'T use contact lenses.

Any ideas?

Never happened to me.

Any ideas?
Never happened to me either, and I've been wearing them for 6 years now.
All I could recommend for that not to happen is to change the solution after wearing them.

On contact lenses I originally wanted them but my Ophthalmologist noticed I was having discomfort during my eye examination and talked me out of them.

If you do get corrective lenses get a Ophthalmologist to check your eyes. He will give you a prescription that have the information about the lenses you need.

If you don't wear contact lenses yourself you probably shouldn't be trying to give advice about wearing contact lenses.

I was going to and I used disposable lenses while i was waiting for my glasses (About 2 weeks), It was very uncomfortable for me. In addition I was told by a Lab admin at my University that i should not use contact lenses if I use the labs.

I switched to glasses because they are more comfortable for me and because contacts are dangerous for me to use because I am in engineering and work in labs.

I was going to and I used disposable lenses while i was waiting for my glasses (About 2 weeks), It was very uncomfortable for me. In addition I was told by a Lab admin at my University that i should not use contact lenses if I use the labs.

I switched to glasses because they are more comfortable for me and because contacts are dangerous for me to use because I am in engineering and work in labs.
If you're in labs, shouldn't you be using goggles or safety glasses? Your eyes would get messed up period if some of that crap got in your eyes.

Disposables are awful compared to monthlies. They're made from a much cheaper type of material that doesn't allow as much oxygen to pass through to your eye's surface. I've worn daily disposables before, monthly lenses are much much more comfortable.

And does being a lab admin really qualify someone to give advice on wearing contact lenses? I worked in engineering for a while, and spent a lot of time in a chemical lab handling acids and solvents - never had any problems wearing lenses in that environment.

Back