Question about Contact Lenses

I've been wearing mine for going on 8 years now. 95 percent of the time I don't notice them. When I first started wearing them they were kinda tough to get in but you kinda learn how to do it and it gets easier. I guess the main thing is when you are putting them in, don't touch the inside of the lens. One little hair or speck of dirt will majorly bother you.

I'm afraid it's too expensive for me. Also I have this fear of having my eyes fucked up during laser eye surgery.
Laser eye surgery is also not accessible to most under the age of 18 because your eyes are still growing, and eye surgery might fuck up your brand.

i've been wearing contacts for about 20 years now, got them my first year of junior high. Your doctor will go over with you how to put them in and not, proper procedure for cleaning, etc. After a while it will become 2nd nature to take them out and put them in. Keep a spare set of glasses with you in case you have a problem with them. I keep glasses, contact case, saline solution in my backpack i take with me everywhere. There are a few places on the internet you can get cheap (under $20) backup glasses (i use zenni optical) that are pretty good. Just ask your doctor for a copy of your prescription.

This is stuff you should ask the optometrist. Also, I want to say, getting them out is a real pain in the as, at least it was for me. It always felt like I was pinching my cornea. I could never remove them myself, so I always had someone else do it. Getting them in was easy though.
It's a lot like putting in a diaphragm. You need a steady hand and you can't be squeamish.

If you're in labs, shouldn't you be using goggles or safety glasses? Your eyes would get messed up period if some of that crap got in your eyes.

Goggles and safety glasses protect against splash contact. Some acids (depending on concentration) can have high enough vapor pressures that they'll turn into gas once you open the bottle. If it reaches your eye, the acidic vapor dissolves readily in the eye fluid, causing great pain. Contact lens can hinder efforts to flush out the acid by keeping it trapped against your eyeball.

It's actually one of the reasons why I'll never wear contacts.

TL;DR The googles! They do nothing!!

Well, let's see. I wore glasses since I was ~5, then I moved to contacts when I was 12.

Working in an aircraft maintenance career field, it is highly unadvised to (and in the military against regulations when deployed) wear contacts at work. We come into contact with oils, acids, bases, etc. We work in dangerous situations with at times extreme conditions. It is advised not to wear contacts in case we get a chemical in our eye, or a piece of metal goes through our eye, or the wind dries our eyes out and the contact falls out, or even the fact that being deployed makes it EXTREMELY difficult to properly sanitize your eyes so they don't get infected. They reinforce all this with pictures of past events, constant reminders, etc. I know plenty of people that to this day still wear their contacts regardless.

If you work in a dangerous area, it is easier and safer to just wear glasses, however it just takes some common sense and situational awareness to make it an easy alternative. Know what you are working with and what kind of safety measures you are suppose to hold in place for dealing with it. Those safety measures are there to keep stuff OUT of your eye, whether you are wearing contacts or not.

I have gone off on a ramble now, sorry. Basically your eye doctor will tell you how to properly wash, wear, and store your contacts. They will usually pick a good type for you depending on your eyes' sensitivity and dryness, and they will give you a prescription. Follow what your doctor says. Putting in contacts is not bad, just takes patience and practice, and the doctor will show you how to do that also. Don't worry about contacts being to large or small, if that is a problem the doctor will also inform you about that, so you don't have anything to worry about. It's a weird experience at first, but worth all of it, no matter what these people say. Try it, and if you don't like it, try it some more and see if you can adjust. If you still don't like it, then it's not your thing, and don't worry about it.

Last thing

I just had laser eye surgery a few months ago, and I can tell you now that the chances of your eyes getting fucked up are pretty much non existent now. However, with laser eye surgery, the doctor will not clear you until you have had two appointments at least a year a part AFTER you turn 20 or 21 (depending on the doctor) The reason isnt because it could fuck up your brain, but simply that you vision fluctuates as you grow, and if it doesn't stabilize, they can't shoot lasers in your eyes, hence the two appointments a year a part. Also it was literally the best choice I have ever made in my entire life. Ever.

Back