Questions for biological macro-evolutionists

Oooh, I've got a good one

I never said that all dinosaur fossils should be in one place. O_o Also, the "supercontinent" is just a theory.
Do you know what else is a theory?
The theory of relativity.
Or what about the theory of gravity?

What I've been saying is more supported by what is observed; the opposite viewpoint is mainly support by the unobserved. I think that bones would appear in the upper strata, because I think they only naturally exist in the upper strata. :P

One question: were you there? :P We're delving into observable science vs unobservable science. I do think that our continents looked different back then, but I doubt it was one single super continent. Maybe several large continents (like 3 or 4), but not one super continent.

My avatar has been philosoraptor for a long time. xD lol

I didn't say it was baseless speculation; rather that it is speculating on the unobserved rather than the observed. For example, all "beginning of the universe" theories would be considered unobserved science because it's science we can't observe or test. This is the same with the beginning of the Earth. From my point of view, the ~1600 hominid fossils all in the upper strata suggest that the hominids are a very young species; far younger than 2.5 million years.

As for Pangaea, I like to equate it to black holes. Granted, that's another very widely believed entity, but it's still not "hard" science. Black holes are still technically theory, and are only a suggestion to explain the gravity fluctuations we see in the universe. I really don't feel like arguing either as I don't see how we'd get anywhere, so yeah.

Also, just because something is taught commonly in public schools doesn't make it more true. :P You'd be surprised how widely inaccurate history books can be, for example.

I know you didn't say that, and I apologize for insinuating that. However, keep in mind many of the examples used may be the unobserved, but they are not unsupported. We form theories, that we then back up with evidence. When forming ideas around an unobserved action, you have to have a starting point, so scientists form ideas for said event based on educated guesses from existing sciences and plausibility. They then search for evidence to back this up, as once you have a starting point, you know what kind of clues it will leave behind and what to look for. This leads to solidifying the theory (properly through the scientific method) and once that theory has been reiterated and evidences consistently and insurmountably gathered over time; the general population considers it a fact. The scientific community always considers something theory, and if you can back up a better theory, with better evidence, that becomes the new standard.
It is this process that lets us predict unobservable events. It is the same process by which the scientific community solves all problems, and is the most common sense way to go about doing so. Since the unobservable event is just that, unobservable, it is backed and tested by the markers we know an event like that would leave behind. So it is testable, and it is observable through the traces it leaves behind, but it is still technically unobservable. Science predicts the unobservable through tests, data, and other various forms of evidence; not just going "oh, I think this happened"

You may not be saying that, but the way you seem to be approaching this, I feel like you think much of science is just crazy speculations, and it is. Everything in science is speculation, backed by evidence though. For a theory to be considered legitimate, it is presented to the scientific community and evaluated by peers. We believe in the unobservable, only because we back it by the facts that are observable.

As for your statement regarding the hominid species being far younger than 2.5 million years, I feel that comment was inappropriate in this thread. It also conflicts with what you have been asking of others and that is why I feel it one, does not belong here, and two deserves to be pointed out in case you just didn't realize it. While we have delved into speculation, and my ideas moved more into philosophy then actual science, I have still tried to explain my reasoning (all but poorly). That statement is an opinion, as you stated, but it has too many facts in it that are ill represented. How could you know, unless you are a geological expert, that 1600 hominid fossils is too many to be found in the upper strata? Without actually looking that up, I feel you have come to that conclusion based off more of your beliefs than the facts accessible via the internet. I feel an opinion backed by facts like that is irrational and compromising to the questions at hand, unless you can better support it. I only say this because it is to specific, and you would have come to that conclusion by either having come across a well thought out explanation based on scientific research, or it coincides with your beliefs. As you have not stated any specific scientific research in support of this, I feel this to be the latter.

Please keep in mind that this is simply an observation by me based off of the way that your sentences were worded and the way you worded your previous statments, opinions, beliefs, and facts. I in no way mean for this to be offensive, and if you wish to continue this, I would have no issue calmly debating it in a PM or separate thread, as to not bring this thread anymore off topic. Again, this was only brought forward because that statement came off as irregular and slightly irrational and I feel you should have the chance to properly defend it as necessary.

As for the rest of your post, Pangea is widely supported by observable evidence that points to its plausibility, and sense there is not a better theory with proper proof out there, that is what many people now days consider to be fact. Does it mean it happened? Not necessarily, but it is supported with insurmountable evidence.

As for public schools, yes, a lot of it is wrong. However, I am talking about the basic principles of math and geology. These are much more supported facts in grained in a community based off of the exchange of information as it changes. I only referred to public schools because most of us were taught in them, but in reality I was referring to the general knowledge of the sciences, not necessarily what was or wasn't taught in school. If you had a firm grasp of them, I feel you would understand.

On that note, I end this to go to sleep. I am extremely drowsy on cold medication, and can't think straight, so I apologize for the rambling. I hope to continue this, but I would like to reiterate that if it concerns your beliefs or hashing out what I mentioned in the above paragraph(s) then please make a new thread or PM me, otherwise let's try to refocus on the thread at hand (and by us I think I mean me).

P.S. Nothing up here was written with the intent to hurt or be offensive, so please don't take them that way.

I'm pretty sure that everything in science is "just a theory". Proofs only exist in math and logic, since we constructed the rules for those two. However, when an observation has been observed repeatedly and is accepted as true by the scientific community, it is called "scientific fact" until evidence disproves it.

As for Pangaea, I like to equate it to black holes. Granted, that's another very widely believed entity, but it's still not "hard" science. Black holes are still technically theory, and are only a suggestion to explain the gravity fluctuations we see in the universe. I really don't feel like arguing either as I don't see how we'd get anywhere, so yeah.

Actually, there's a bit more to it than you've described. A black hole is just a dense pile of matter with an escape velocity greater than the speed of light. By this simple definition, not "gravitational fluctuations", their existence was theorized before there were measurements to back them up.

Also, just because something is taught commonly in public schools doesn't make it more true. :P You'd be surprised how widely inaccurate history books can be, for example.

Do not introduce historical revisionism into your creationism thread. It's too much.

I realize that certain conditions are required for a creature to be fossilized.
But what I don't understand is why we'd have fossils hundreds of millions
of years old without a bunch of transitory species. I mean, isn't the evidence
for macro-evolution supposed to be transitory species, correct? So if they are
so rare despite the huge time differential, wouldn't the evidence point to an alternative?
You just hurt the feelings of the transitory species, they are species too! Technically every species is a transitory species so whatever fossils you do have can be a transition to another or a dead end. Changes in species are very gradual and there are no clear line between transitioning species. For example species A went through micro-evo through stresses in it's environment and turned into a variation B. Variation B turned into C. A - B - C - D - E - ....etc. A through C look similar and can create a hybrid offspring, but A and D cannot create a hybrid offspring but they still look pretty similar. A and E are starting to look pretty different and cannot create offspring. Populations of Variation A - C and D - E are separated, they are subject to different stresses in each environment and micro-evolve some more and now we have A - B - C variations turning creating F - G and variations D - E micro-evolve to H - I over many generations. F and H look really different now and cannot mate but F and G are similar and can mate and can H and I. Multiply this process by 500 or whatever and a billions years and you got yourself macro-evolution.

Moving on, you are correct that I do not believe in macro-evolution. I personally don't think it is
supported by science, unlike micro-evolution (I think it's very important to make a distinction between the two).
Without wanting to cause a flame war, I think that every creature was created by an omnipotent being outside
of time and space (a.k.a. "God"). Each creature was created with the base species in mind regarding their DNA structure.
Through the process of micro-evolution, each kind of animal evolved into other species of the same kind of animal because the
original genes gave it the capability to do so.
This is a bit confusing. Can you give me some examples of base species? Because many species share a great deal of genetic material in gene coding regions. Humans conserve 99% coding regions with chimps, 80% with mice, 70% with possums, 65% with pufferfish. Was each base species given similar chemical mechanisms? Because those are extremely conserved when going through the animal kingdom and a bit in the plant kingdom. They were all given mitochondria. Electron transport chain. Manufacturing and usage of ATP. Similar skeletal structures among vertebrates. So are vertebrates the base species? Dunno mang...It would probably be easier to say god created the Last Universal Common Ancestor and the laws of physics and then stuff happened.

I don't think humans have the capability to become another kind of animal as that is macro-evolution, and I don't think
macro-evolution is true in any case. This includes your proposed "synthesized evolution". I think life is far too complex and
intricate to ever be properly replicated by man.
Humans don't have the capability to evolve not because macro-evo is not true but because there are no stresses on the human population keeping some people breeding and some not. We have nothing to adapt to since we have adapted everything to fit us so everyone is fucking and having babies. There is no natural selection. Maybe some kind of weird economic selection, but nothing that will cause speciation.

I would like interject that even strong hard-core Christians believe that Pangea existed. We just believe that it split differently than evolutionists- namely, that the world-wide flood (Noah's Ark) was partly/majorly responsible for the large shifts, as opposed to it happening over a long period of time.

Anyways, nothing to see here, moving along.

I didn't say it was baseless speculation; rather that it is speculating on the unobserved rather than the observed. For example, all "beginning of the universe" theories would be considered unobserved science because it's science we can't observe or test. This is the same with the beginning of the Earth. From my point of view, the ~1600 hominid fossils all in the upper strata suggest that the hominids are a very young species; far younger than 2.5 million years.
I would like to point out that the term hominids does not refer to a species. It is a family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae

Hominids as we know them include apes, humans, orangutans and any other primate. Humans and their ancestors have the genus homo, with the first evidence of this genus being 2.3 million years through homo habilis.

When you refer to the hominid species, I presume you refer to modern humans, which is what we are as homo sapiens. Our species has been noted by archaeologists to have existed 200 000 years ago through fossil records, which is indeed no where near the 2.3 million years that the genus homo has existed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_(genus)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

I'm just not educated enough to debate this properly, so... you guys win. :)

Until you reach a logical conclusion about the number you would EXPECT, to make a statement regarding why there are or are not millions of fossils that we should be uncovering every day is contempt, and pure blasphemy. That alone should discredit the majority of your question unless you can refute or provide some evidence supporting your theory of the number of fossils.

I reached this same conclusion a week ago. None of us have enough knowledge of the field to even pose a question such as the one you did, let alone try and contest it. I tried to point this out but did not get received very well because of my pompous attitude to seeing the obvious. This does not mean that we win or you lose. Most of us were merely supporting what most of the scientific community agrees on with the current evidence. You simply are not in a position to really reveal new evidence to convince anyone that the current theories are wrong.

The truth is that there are experts in this field that are trying every day to reach some scientific conclusion or at least make hypothesis about fossils, evolution and where humanity comes from. Evidence is limited, but there are still many theories that are accepted by the large majority of the scientific community bar new evidence. Disputing those claims/theories in any way other than through more scientific research is counter to what science is about. Our own beliefs about what should be get in the way of legitimate experiments and often result in false conclusions with sampling errors and biases. Answering your original question (why there are not x number of fossils) would require an expert to reach some conclusion about how many fossils they would expect for a certain number of organisms alive at some time period. Getting an exact number is near impossible when dealing with things half a million years in the past. Questioning an accepted theory is great, but it must be done by someone who knows what they are doing with vast experience in a field. A question such as this would require a huge amount of inferences and a great deal of calculations based on those inferences.

Back