R.I.P virtual reality gaming - Oculus Rift bought by Facebook

I ain't worried, PS4 is developing a similar product.
Sony isn't the only one, if they're doing it there's bound to be others.
Oculus was really the first one to punch, but it won't be the last.
Thats why I'm not really worried.

Sony isn't the only one, if they're doing it there's bound to be others.
Oculus was really the first one to punch, but it won't be the last.
Thats why I'm not really worried.
Seriously, if these things can sell for under 200, almost anyone can jump in on the fun.

Sigh, OR won't die out, but with this turn of events there's going to be added cons to buying OR. And here's why:

Very likely to have mass adverts placed in games for the system.

Excessive pestering to "Share on Facebook" every damn thing you do on the OR.

Facebook spam for friends to "Help me out! I need 2aioewnczlkdfhqo friends to get this piece of shit upgrade." will increase.

Item shop games or P2W games will start popping up.

And so on so forth for games that have a FB connection...

I mean there will definitely be some pros for the budget increase for the OR project, but it's going to be interesting to see how they run with this.

I thought adam's thoughts on it are pretty well thought out. I personally think the news is mostly negative though

Traffic to site declining by younger generation. Buy product/company that tons of folks are wanting/waiting for. Genius!
mGYWB5j.jpg

FbFAiG0.jpg

Will be curious to see if it has any impact to folks behind Star Citizen, who have been building their game with OR support from the ground up. Personally, I'd hate to see having to have a Facebook account just to activate/use the thing. Though suppose I could always generate some BS (Turd Ferguson) account for that :D Not much of a Sony fan either, but may have to steer myself in their direction.

I'm not counting this dead, yet. It is a little worrisome that FB bought it, yes. However, FB has a TON of capital that they can throw at this device to get it to the market faster than the current pace of development. The thought that the OR will be used primarily for FB integration and the like is pretty narrow and ridiculous. It has already established that it can be used for so many other purposes that creating a VR device to only browse/play FB games is asinine. The better way to think about this acquisition is something akin to Amazon developing its Amazon Prime service that would compete with Netfilx, or Google buying Motorola (no matter how short-lived that was) to get some brain power to help with its mobile device development. These are two companies that one may find difficult to juxtapose to the new services they offered/acquired at first, but it made sense when you thought about it.

I think this is FB's attempt at diversification. FB revolutionized the way we used the Internet and connected with people, and the OR is surely going to revolutionize the way we do a lot of things. FB is getting in the door before there is a long line of big, slow companies trying to squeeze their fat asses in when things take off.

Let's just wait and see what this could mean before we start claiming doomsday.

I'm sorry but that guy looks like a complete tool with it on his face. Also, VirtualBoy. Also, that VR shit can get packed somewhere imo, it's not going to revolutionize shit for me. You can all become complete vegetables and hook into your pods and be assimilated into a matrix of silliness all you want. I'll stick to my regular old fashioned PC and Monitor and save myself a spot in the concentration camps for not acquiescing to becoming one of the completely thoughtless and brainwashed.
Drink a little more of the kool-aid mate. You're already in the system.

I don't understand what the uproar is. I love the oculusvr. I don't see us up in arms every time Google makes a glass or watch or the greatest phone OS. Facebook is stepping out of its comfort zone and investing in something. Yes Facebook is creepy...but so is Google especially apple and Microsoft. I'm just gonna wait and see where this goes. I will be meeting the devs at PAX East in Boston and will congratulate them, and will have questions of course... Lots of questions. I'm not in protest of this...yet.

Also Myspace just bought a Virtual Boy to stay relevant.
PTvaxMq.jpg

I'm sorry but that guy looks like a complete tool with it on his face. Also, VirtualBoy. Also, that VR shit can get packed somewhere imo, it's not going to revolutionize shit for me. You can all become complete vegetables and hook into your pods and be assimilated into a matrix of silliness all you want. I'll stick to my regular old fashioned PC and Monitor and save myself a spot in the concentration camps for not acquiescing to becoming one of the completely thoughtless and brainwashed.

Sorry sir, let me remove myself from your lawn.

OR oculus just got purchased by someone who has a ridiculous amount of money and thinks that this is something that's valuable. Zuckerberg isn't stupid, and if people will buy it for gaming, then he will sell it to them. The trick for the oculus rift to do well has always been to get mainstream technology companies to take it seriously. It will be pretty tough not to now.

THIS, EXACTLY THIS. Don't judge FB. They didn't ruin Instagram.

With FB's pockets, we might actually get a Rift. Seeing as it's been way overdue and other's are going to beat it to the market it essentially created (or rather, made relevant again).

Instagram is dumb. Let's make an app for taking pictures and posting it to facebook when you can already take pictures and post it to facebook and do all the stupid effects instagram has and be just as big of an attention whore without instagram and just for good measure dumb everyone down even further with that twitter hashtag nonsense. I'll be handing out free crackrocks and syringes of smack later on if you're interested. Free death to knowledge for all. :)

Whoa whoa whoa guy, chill for a minute, will you? If you see this as the impending doom to Civilization, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Try to keep that opinion on topic, please.

Back