• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

So, this is my life, yo.

bhamwildcar

Some of you may know, some of you may not, but I've been homeless since July. I don't really want to go into the specifics of it, but it brought a sudden and cataclysmic halt to my life, nay, my entire universe. I've had to start my life from scratch, and just when I thought I was getting to the point of getting back on track, it happens AGAIN. So here I sit at the Birmingham Public Library after spending all day at the Alabama Department of Public Safety to (finally) get my duplicate driver's license after losing my wallet trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to go about my next move. I've been promised a place to live if I can find my own way to Port Huron, Michigan, a town well northeast of Detroit and a good 800 miles from where I sit. Unless I take a train (which is unlikely because it's twice as much as a plane or bus, not to mention there's no way in hell I'm down with having to go to D.C. and then Chicago to go to Detroit. Doesn't compute, you dumb @*#$) the only way to get there is flying or riding a bus to Detroit. A bus is $119, and a plane is somewhere around $130-150. Needless to say that's going to take a while for an unemployed guy. Anyway, that's pretty much the whole reason I've rarely been on survival, or anywhere online for that matter.

Coming from me this doesn't really help because of my location, but I know there are many others who think alike..
This is more than just a group of gamers, to many it's a second family and regardless of your situation man there will always be a couch or bed for you to sleep on, and a helping hand if and when you need it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but hey every cloud has a silver lining.. Perks of being at a low point? The only way is up. Good luck mate.

i haven't been to a shelter, nor something like a YMCA and i've heard mixed stories. not sure how we can help, but i imagine the community can point you out towards resources in your area.

lots of luck. i imagine you'll do alright. do check in when you can.

Perhaps a relay could be set up to get you across the country? I may not have a house of my own, but I can drive and have a bit of spare time now.

EDIT: On the other hand, 800 miles in gas costs just as much (if not more) than a bus ticket. Perhaps we could start a Get Bham to Michigan fund? More people could contribute that way.

If I were closer, I'd offer up a place to sleep for a while.
You won't be heading through my area, either, or I'd offer to help drive you some of the way.
However, if a chipin or something is put in place, I may be able to offer up a bit of money.

Anyway, I'm sorry you've found yourself in this position, and I wish there was more that I could do to help. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

As I haven't been homeless myself, I can't relate to your situation. However, I can offer my wish that the best of luck speeds your way.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Jerzey, there is a Labor Ready, I just haven't even gone and signed up with them yet because up until yesterday I didn't have all the required documentation to legally work in Alabama thanks to the worse-than-Arizona immigration law. I inquired, however, and they said they take apps Tue-Fri 9-12. So I'm headed down there Tuesday. As for the shelter situation, I've been staying warm and fed at the Salvation Army most of the time, but they only let you stay 14 nights a month for free. Most of the other times I just crash wherever. Thanks again for all your awesome comments, I really do love you guys (and no I'm not drunk).

You'll get through, if you just persevere. Work a day or two, don't be picky about the work. If its picking up human shit with your bare hands for $5/hour, do it. Some money is better than no money. Use that and then search Craigslist at the library see if you can't find an efficiency. Usually they are so cheap that a week of work will pay off 1 months rent. Work, stack, work, stack money, work, stack money, then profit. Refrain from alcohol as it's too much of a luxury at this moment, and get used to the taste of Ramen Noodles. You can do it man!

Back