• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Survival geocaching

I have a fortune III and silk touch picks ready to give away. Going to hide them somewhere soon with a similar clue as ooz.

Found it! Rather obvious isn't it. Im leaving the contents for the next guy though. Oozinator has forbidden me from taking its contents. Good luck everyone.
Why has he forbidden you from taking it?
Because we are from the same town.

Also because I told you about it as I was headed to the hiding spot. :p

It wouldn't be fair.

In the future, I'll open it up to all players. :D

EDIT: Since it was found so quickly, I might make the following changes:

1. Not putting the clues in bold.
2. Posting the quest at different times (to equalize the chances among players).
3. Making the event more frequent than weekly (but not making it too routine).

Also, I'm glad so many of you guys are gonna try caching yourselves. I was worried that I'd be the only one and that people will stalk my every move, using the T9K map. :confused:

I would love to plan one myself, if only I had stuff of actual value to give away.

It doesn't actually have to be valuable. It could be a ton of really cheap stuff.

If we only gave out valuable stuff, it ruins the joy of discovery. What am I gonna find? A stack of iron ingots? A dozen blocks of lapis? Or just a chest full of cobble.

Imagine how funny it'd be (to the hider) for a person to journey 7,000 blocks only to wind up with several stacks of cobble. :rofl:

IMPORTANT:

For those of you organizing your own hunts, please place signs at the location of your chest, verifying that it is a geocache. Also, pick locations that are fairly remote (but still somewhat interesting). I'm worried about accidental thefts from non-geocache chests. If you're not sure whether a chest is the geocache you're looking for, please PM the hunt organizer with screenshots and coords.

I didn't put signs for my hunt because it was in a very remote area and in an atypical location (underwater).

I love this idea. However, in real life geocaching, if there is some stuff you can take, you are supposed to leave something in return for it. Maybe we could organize something like that? If we could convince Woot to do it, maybe have another forum just for geocaching in Minecraft? We could post our caches there, and when people find them, let them post there what they took and what they left. This could really be something awesome, if we could organize it.

...What Squirley said.

I am also thinking of doing this, but perhaps giving the location of a cave entrance or trailhead, rather than the chest itself. Setting up scenery and stories would be fun too. What are your thoughts on this?

I like where this is going... I would also like to do some puzzle caches, like you have to solve a riddle and plug stuff in some way some how to get the coordinates. Except they are not the exact coordinates, maybe like rounded to the nearest 10

...What Squirley said.

I am also thinking of doing this, but perhaps giving the location of a cave entrance or trailhead, rather than the chest itself. Setting up scenery and stories would be fun too. What are your thoughts on this?

It seems like what I'm doing is more like a treasure hunt. I think after the treasure is found, the chests can become geocaches.

Giving the location of a cave entrance or trailhead would work if your instructions were super specific (like "Go through the tunnel on the right that is 30 paces east of the entrance then go 135 paces north").

The one thing about caves though is that if it's frequently visited, the routes can be changed. Tunnels can be blocked up, new tunnels can be cut in. If you have several people looking in a cave for the treasure, things could get messy and the treasure would be extremely difficult to find as more people attempt.

As for the stories, I already have one lined up. :D

Question, does geocaching have to be just a chest? What if I hid it in a secret temple filled with traps?

Also, Can I have clues that lead you to other clues?

Awesome :D I might hire a team for the temple... but other than that, epic! I also might make other treasure rooms, trap rooms, sacrifice rooms, ect.

Question, does geocaching have to be just a chest? What if I hid it in a secret temple filled with traps?

If the traps are non-lethal (like a water pit with an exit back to the surface), it should be fine. However, if it's a lava, cactus, drowning, wall-suffocation, or fatal fall trap, you can get in trouble for making that (even with posted warning signs). Anything pressure-plate activated that is instantly lethal is guaranteed to be against server rules. Dispensers that shoot arrows might be fine since they're not insta-kill and somewhat avoidable, but don't quote me on that. Plus, you'd have to refill those dispensers eventually.

Also, it would be tricky to implement if the area it's built on is not claimed by you. Traps could be rendered useless if redstone circuitry is tampered with. If you do have the area claimed, you have to enable outsiders to be able to use and switch things.

What you can do is place the chests in obviously dangerous locations, like the middle of a lava lake or on a platform high in the air accessible by only a thin walkway.

I put my chest deep underwater. Someone who was ill-prepared and/or inexperienced could have drowned, but it's hard to make a case against me. The player had to make the decision to go down into the water, and the danger was constantly visible and known at all times.

If the traps are non-lethal (like a water pit with an exit back to the surface), it should be fine. However, if it's a lava, cactus, drowning, wall-suffocation, or fatal fall trap, you can get in trouble for making that (even with posted warning signs). Anything pressure-plate activated that is instantly lethal is guaranteed to be against server rules. Dispensers that shoot arrows might be fine since they're not insta-kill and somewhat avoidable, but don't quote me on that. Plus, you'd have to refill those dispensers eventually.

Also, it would be tricky to implement if the area it's built on is not claimed by you. Traps could be rendered useless if redstone circuitry is tampered with. If you do have the area claimed, you have to enable outsiders to be able to use and switch things.

What you can do is place the chests in obviously dangerous locations, like the middle of a lava lake or on a platform high in the air accessible by only a thin walkway.

I put my chest deep underwater. Someone who was ill-prepared and/or inexperienced could have drowned, but it's hard to make a case against me. The player had to make the decision to go down into the water, and the danger was constantly visible and known at all times.
My trap ideas were water pit traps, large fall (but not insta-kill) pit traps, hidden tnt (idk if its insta-kill), sacrifice rooms (you have to throw an item into a hole to continue or escape), and many more.

As for redstone, it would be hidden unless I wanted you to notice it or it says otherwise.

The temple would be placed in the middle of nowhere, hardly lit, with some limited-shot traps (like arrow shooters), and maybe have a piston puzzle or two.

Could I add insta-kill traps behind the walls to prevent griefing, with a sign warning?

My trap ideas were water pit traps, large fall (but not insta-kill) pit traps, hidden tnt (idk if its insta-kill), sacrifice rooms (you have to throw an item into a hole to continue or escape), and many more. As for redstone, it would be hidden unless I wanted you to notice it. The temple would be placed in the middle of nowhere, hardly lit, with some limited-shot traps (like arrow shooters), and maybe have a piston puzzle or two in it.

Pit traps should be escapable and do just a bit of damage (anything over 5 hearts is too much). TNT is disabled on this server, and sacrifice rooms should prevent you from continuing but not escaping.

For your temple, I think it would be best to build it on claimed land.

Pit traps should be escapable and do just a bit of damage (anything over 5 hearts is too much). TNT is disabled on this server, and sacrifice rooms should prevent you from continuing but not escaping.

For your temple, I think it would be best to build it on claimed land.
The pit traps would be escapable, and what i mean by "escape" the sacrifice rooms is like this:

You come to a forked path. you choose the wrong path and the door closes behind you! you see a hole with a sign that says, "In order to go on, you must give something to (temple figure)." You throw a dirt in it, and the door opens again.

As for tnt, I thought the explosion would still do damage.

The pit traps would be escapable, and what i mean by "escape" the sacrifice rooms is like this:

You come to a forked path. you choose the wrong path and the door closes behind you! you see a hole with a sign that says, "In order to go on, you must give something to (temple figure)." You throw a dirt in it, and the door opens again.

As for tnt, i thought the explosion would still do damage.

That trap is escapable but only if the player has an item on them. True, most will bring something along, but don't leave that to chance. Maybe you can have two routes from the sacrifice room: 1. Easy path if you give an item, and 2. Maze-like path back to the temple entrance.

As far as I know, TNT on the server does not deal damage to players or destroy blocks.

That trap is escapable but only if the player has an item on them. True, most will bring something along, but don't leave that to chance. Maybe you can have two routes from the sacrifice room: 1. Easy path if you give an item, and 2. Maze-like path back to the temple entrance.

As far as I know, TNT on the server does not deal damage to players or destroy blocks.
Nice idea. What if i made a maze that led to a chest with dirt in it?

About the tnt, awww :(

Also, not all sub-paths would be bad. Some would have 4 iron blocks stacked up like a T and a chest of pumpkins. Some would give you smaller prizes.

Back