• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K reunion server

[. . . .] multi-threaded [. . . .]
Code:
#include <iostream>
int main() {
  for (int count = 0; count < 9; ++count) {
    std::cout << "Yes! ";
  }
  std::cout << "Yes!" << std::endl;
}
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
No; this deserves a more fitting celebration.
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <thread>
void Function() {
  std::cout << "Yes! ";
}
int main() {
  const int thread_count = 9;
  std::thread* thread_pointers[thread_count];
  for (int count = 0; count < thread_count; ++count) {
    thread_pointers[count] = new std::thread(Function);
  }
  for (int count = 0; count < thread_count; ++count) {
    thread_pointers[count]->join();
    delete thread_pointers[count];
  }
  std::cout << "Yes!" << std::endl;
}
much better
Wait, Minecraft is written in Java.
. . .
I don't care--MULTITHREADING

Why yes, I did compile those programs. (with `-std=c++11 -pthread`, of course)

Apparently 1.8 will have network compression - that is, chunk data is compressed when transferring from server to client. Translation: much less latency lag, slightly more CPU lag for both server and client. They've also been looking into multi-threaded worlds, so a multi-core computer could potentially handle one world per CPU.

^
That is an amazing drop in network traffic. I am officially hyped.

Edit: Also 40% less draw calls per frame (higher fps).
Sigh, apparently I was wrong. Chunks are already compressed as of 1.7, 1.8 will just compress everything else above a certain packet size. Sorry for getting so many people hyped, I'm going to go commit sudoku.

Sigh, apparently I was wrong. Chunks are already compressed as of 1.7, 1.8 will just compress everything else above a certain packet size. Sorry for getting so many people hyped, I'm going to go commit sudoku.
That's not important. What's important is multi-threading worlds.

Commit sudoku? Death by puzzles?

Unless you meant seppuku.

I know what I said.
cropped-missing.jpg

No, I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time.

ANYWAY... Back on topic, yes?
I think the reason the thread was so easily derailed is because the idea is already put out.

We just need to start it up, and feel the rest out as we go.

(Meaning we at least need to decide who's hosting?)

THIS!

Just get something going. The hype is there, and I am primed to get back into minecraft this second.

We just need to start feeling things out. See what we like and what we do not.
I think the reason the thread was so easily derailed is because the idea is already put out.

We just need to start it up, and feel the rest out as we go.

(Meaning we at least need to decide who's hosting?)
i agree but i think were waiting for the release of 1.8 and the plugins to update

Spectator mode seems like a good moderator tool, if it's only allowed in instances of checking on X-ray alerts. How about this: each X-ray alert stores coordinate information and an id number. Moderators can do "/investigate [id]" to switch to spectator mode, enable night vision, and teleport to the coordinates. They then determine if the tunnels look like X-ray tunnels, do "/report" or "/dismiss", and you get teleported back to where you were.

So I was wondering what's going to happen with spawn. I liked the minimalist(ish) 1.0 spawn tower and 1.5 LTS building, pretty functional but still looked good. I thought the 1.3 world's spawn looked nice, but I don't really like ones like that - like you see on lots of other servers - where it's a bit hard to actually find your way around because it's so big. Also, that one took a while to build, and the rest of us just had to watch some of you guys build it (fair enough, it's not like I could, or would want to, build anything that looked that fancy anyway :) ), so if you really want to do something like that, please start now :p

Back