Taiji Dolphin Drive Hunt

Did the ranchers who started domesticating and breeding livestock of any other type require subsidies?

Granted, we live in a different world now, but the answer is no - though the government might want to offer financial incentives to encourage the switch.

The profit margin would obviously be slim for the first decade or so. But it would catch on soon enough, and those with the foresight to jump in early would soon outstrip those still slaughtering wildlife with lower priced, higher profit dolphin meat, putting the latter out of business. Eventually, you'll see a species diversification between domesticated and selectively bred dolphins and wild dolphins, where wild dolphin is regarded as tasteless, stringy, and unsatisfying compared to the livestock relatives.
As much as I like this idea, I don't see this happening because the fishermen are obsessed with this little "tradition" thing.

Taiji cove has been used to hunt dolphins for around 500 years, but around 30 years ago they started using nets and such.

I doubt they'd be willing to make the change, and that's IF Japan is willing to give financial incentives.

As much as I like this idea, I don't see this happening because the fishermen are obsessed with this little "tradition" thing.

Taiji cove has been used to hunt dolphins for around 500 years, but around 30 years ago they started using nets and such.

I doubt they'd be willing to make the change, and that's IF Japan is willing to give financial incentives.
Go the way of the Canadians. Traditional hunt? Fine, you use traditional tools. No engine-driven boats, no nets, no guns. You use the weapons your ancestors used, or face serious jail time and fines your entire town couldn't afford to pay off.

Go the way of the Canadians. Traditional hunt? Fine, you use traditional tools. No engine-driven boats, no nets, no guns. You use the weapons your ancestors used, or face serious jail time and fines your entire town couldn't afford to pay off.
But that's Canada, we're talking about Japan.

Apparently that's not on their national agenda, Japan has already stated that they're not going to change anything.

It comes down to the IWC to do something if it really matters.

But that's Canada, we're talking about Japan.

Apparently that's not on their national agenda, Japan has already stated that they're not going to change anything.

It comes down to the IWC to do something if it really matters.
As in Impotent Whaling Commission? They can't do shit.

The seal hunts in Canada are a part of the Inuit culture. They are strictly observed to ensure only traditional weapons are used, a minimum amount of pain and suffering is inflicted, and death is brought quickly.

As in Impotent Whaling Commission? They can't do shit.

The seal hunts in Canada are a part of the Inuit culture. They are strictly observed to ensure only traditional weapons are used, a minimum amount of pain and suffering is inflicted, and death is brought quickly.
Yeah, the IWC can't do much except for put dolphins under their protection, and they don't really have a need to do that.

Canada obviously values these things more than Japan does, so I honestly doubt something will be done.

Implying something should be done.

Yeah, the IWC can't do much except for put dolphins under their protection, and they don't really have a need to do that.

Canada obviously values these things more than Japan does, so I honestly doubt something will be done.

Implying something should be done.
Yes, something should be done. Why? Because it makes sense. Not morally, I seldom care about the moral issue. For economic reasons, ecological reasons, and food safety reasons.

Yes, something should be done. Why? Because it makes sense. Not morally, I seldom care about the moral issue. For economic reasons, ecological reasons, and food safety reasons.
I'll agree with you there, I just don't think the matter is pressing enough.

Which is why the programs that trying to help prevent that are being cut.
Dude, sarcasm. It's not pressing to the government, because those who make the laws aren't affected. You need to MAKE them realize it's pressing.

Dude, sarcasm. It's not pressing to the government, because those who make the laws aren't affected. You need to MAKE them realize it's pressing.
Ah, yes, but the fishermen certainly aren't affected.

The average population doesn't even eat Dolphin meat (Outside of Taiji), God knows they don't mind. (The activist swarming of Taiji is exaggerated)

Who's are you expecting to step up to the plate? Other countries? Is it really worth risking relations with Japan?

I think I've figured out why Miguel went to so much bother to research and create a wall of text.

He's a walrus. He must think he's next to have a rod driven into his spine and chopped up for the menu.

He's been on and off the endangered species list 3 times now though, so I suppose it pays to be informed.

Back