• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Server is Dying

And now for something completely different.

I am fairly new to Team9000, joining in about Aprilish (?). I don't have any real experience on the Team9k Beta server, and that is for a good reason. For a new player on the Team9k Beta, the whole world is intimidating. Apart from a few words as you make your way down the spawn tower, you are absoluely STUFFED. All you can see is a never-ending landscape of cobblestone forts. The world is treeless, and what little resources still remain are useless. How is a new player supposed to start, with not even a simple tree to obtain the bare essentials of a wooden pickaxe, wooden planks, beds, craffting tables, or chests? There is no clear goal - all that is around is the foreboding, half-botched eyesores of long-abandoned houses. No-one is on. Those who are, are far away. The map program doesn't even work, at least not for me. What am I to do?

If the server was more forgiving to newbies, there would be more life. But I can't even raise a hut, let alone travel to Eagle Pass.
Hawke's ideas sound good. But I go even further to say that the Outlands should be wiped more often. If the Outlands are cleared every few weeks, new players would have the chance to actally get somewhere. I'd be more committed and more likely to actually go somewhere; travel to one of the cities or do something important, if there were actually people other than casual griefers on the server who could help you, or there was actually a chance to build something.

Correct me if I'm wrong with this. I haven't ventured out very far from spawn - simply because of this whole intimidation. Call me uncommitted, or a noob, or bloody whatever. But I cannot get anywhere in Beta because it is so sheltered and hard.

Here's my take on everything, since this seems to be the place to do it:

For me, Firethorn was the beginning. I was still a noob in the community during that time, as was beginning to establish my castle (which I can re-visit now thanks to some awesome effort by a fellow T9Ker) and get familiar with everything. It was fun. I had my own area I could build, with room to grow and not worry about stepping on anyone else's toes. The community was much smaller, and that was advantageous for the way Firethorn was set up.

When the game was updated and the world we have now finally came into being, a lot changed. Players had left, a lot more new ones came along. Our organization of Classic, the community backing the game, and the calibur of players that hung around attracted a lot more players than I think anyone really could have imagined. With Oxytown, a lot of those new players were ravenous in terms of the amount of time they played and how "into" Minecraf the got. One thing led to another and some groups of players in Oxytown began forming "empires" and fighting against each other, mostly for fun. As in most cases, the squeaky wheel gets oiled, and the squeaky wheel was the groups of players who formed these "empires" and so when the next city was developed, the largest empire that formed was given control of the city. Things went amock. Maybe it was role-playing taken too far, or maybe it was the maturity of the people in charge of the empire, or maybe it was the apathy of the other players, but concepts were put in place in Eagle Pass that were not fully discussed with everyone, but a select few.

This is where the server begins to die. When a small group begins to control aspects of a game that affects a vastly larger group, it becomes annoying. No, I don't want to role play and "pay taxes" and conform to lot sizes and height restrictions and themes. I want to play my game the way I want to play it and enjoy it with other people. Rules should be in place, yes, and those rules should be few and simple to keep everyone in order and avoid general douchebaggery. My time to play games is precious and I don't want to have to join a world where I am oppressed from being able to build and express myself how I want, especially if I know there is another world somewhere else that is less restrictive and runs just as well.

ok you figured that out, but what happened to us guys who weren't against the way that things went, why did we leave?

I don't know if I have said this somewhere else, or it's just been in my head. Just pointing that out.

I am not a big fan of RPG-type games. If you wanna act out a role, get a job. That's what life is for! And while everyone enjoys a bit of fantasy and the feeling of being a well-oiled cog or team member in a tight unit of people, I don't like the whole RPG experience.
As I once said to my friend, discussing Terraria (which I believe is just a cheap RPG, 2D-port of Minecraft):
"Terraria is great if you Like RPG's, and being a 'level 70 Dildo-f****n' magical mage'. But I don't... I like to build."
(Please, I don't want to start an arguement about Terraria here. Let's move on.)

If you want to play RPG's, play Terraria or WoW. when I first looked up 'MInecraft Beta' on Team900 Wiki, and saw the whole 'Cydonian Empire' and 'Oxytown' thing, I was dumbfounded. I was like, "Are you for real? Are you f****n' kidding me?" And it's true. It seemed too RPG, too fantasy, too trying-to-turn-Minecraft-into-something-it's-not. The idea of a city intrigued me, but paying a rent? If I want to do that, I'll have a word with the landlord. But it seemed ludicrous. To an extent, I lost some respect in Team9000. Not that much, but a little. I thought it was stupid to have that sort of thing.

Now, I'm pretty uneducated about this whole matter, but I feel I should weigh in on this.

Having cities is a good idea. Having a grand metropolis with its own minecart train system and communities seems fun.
Having clans = bad idea. If you want to make a guild or something, go on Runescape. The Cydonian Empire and the Neptune Treaty, and all that jazz, bluntly, seems gay. (No offense meant here, just trying to make a point.)

We just need a few simple rules, and some dedicated moderators, and this server can become something great. If new players can be free to happily build, and play in a community of fun-loving Minecrafters whho they can have mining exploits with, I will put my heart and soul into the Team9000 Beta. No RPG bullshit. Just good, unadulterated Minecrafting. The aim is to build, is it not? Then let us build.

Thankyou. I don't intend to offend anyone here; either about Terraria or about RPG's. If you enjoy the role-playing experience, I am all for it. I just find that it is a precursor to dickheadedness... I just want to see a good outcome with this.

ok you figured that out, but what happened to us guys who weren't against the way that things went, why did we leave?

A lack of interest? Maybe living in a world with confined parameters for so long, it got old. There was no originality, nothing new was happening, and everyone began fleeing for Elm Creek or The Outlands. I also speculate that since school is out, a number of the once "regulars" on here are out enjoying their summer vacations.

Maybe you guys became disenfranchised after more people left the server. Without players frequenting your cities, and partaking in empirical pursuits, being a leader of large clan just became boring. After all, what's the point about being a boss if you have no-one to boss around? :)

Look, I don't know. Perhaps it's all just down to a combination of boredom and a difficulty to achieve anything fun and meaningful on the server.

time for mah story?

i've been on classic since... last christmas or something. got builder rank, blablalba....
Hademar bought beta for me (he has a creditcard :3) somewhere in januari/februari
that was a few weeks before oxytown and outlands were born.

in those weeks i lived far far away with some RL friends. building a new base when people came too close.
i was bored of walking everytime so i moved back to the spawn region, i noticed there were boundaries...
my house with valuables was like.... 20 blocks outside it :3 so i had to start over again

looking for a new place to build (in oxytown) i found hawke and his towerbay. an example of how oxytown could've been if there were rules, and i liked it alot. after a while there was EP.
everyone moved to ep, i made a nice house with hademar. and we were havign fun with eachother by just chatting. (remember the party in my hottub? nekked cheese!). Then i became minister of architecture (changed it to minister of cheese now). everything went well and such, and then there were the greasers. the greasers were made coz tshi was bored :p. and we had a war. we made fancy militairy structures in outlands and ep. from then on CE was known as an agressive faction. (we were bored and wanted to fight with castles etc.)

and then there was HoboTown, best place ever :D only build rule was: tent only.
made a CE camp nearby to "protect" hobotown. took over a tower and made it a tower with dispensers and redstone :3
and we were havign fun with ALL people who lived in hobotown. whitelisted or not, everyone was there.

BUT... then EC was made.
some people went there, some people didn't coz they were not whitelisted.
worst part was: ep portal moved south. people were seperated.

people got bored again, wanted to fight, prof found a pvp faction server and we all went there. mostly the people who were active during the EP Times. like prof, hawke, feone etc. and were having fun again building airships and raiding with 20+ people at once :3

so.... i prefer the ep and hobo times, but this is close enough ;)

Been on Team9000 for a year now(1), Still loving it! :)

How about not being so reliant on other people, i know its nice to play with certain individuals, but instead of trying to play with this or that guy, play with the community instead.

We all know that i love to play with Casham or Conrod(and several other guys), but i know as an individual i cannot FORCE them to play. Hence why i play with everyone and invite others to play with me if they want. I love when "ma crawd" joins, but im also happy spending time around regulars and newcomers or just simple random chatter ;).

If you feel the need for certain people to be around in order to play this game, now is the optimal chance to turn that around and get aqquianted with the rest of the community.

I for one invites everyone to play with me. I build epic projects, and i got my head full of new ideas, if you need a challenge, i can provide that challenge. (Terraforming, basic/complex redstone projects(movies or songs made from redstone ect.), huge builds, community style, themed buildings or a huge freaking mine to make everyone happy.)

You want a new best friend of the community? Here i am :)

As a side project, im also building community tools to work with Minecraft(jobs, trading, whitelisting, grid systems, usermanagement, lot allocation and more.) but its still on the road :)

For me, Firethorn was the beginning. I was still a noob in the community during that time, as was beginning to establish my castle (which I can re-visit now thanks to some awesome effort by a fellow T9Ker) and get familiar with everything. It was fun. I had my own area I could build, with room to grow and not worry about stepping on anyone else's toes. The community was much smaller, and that was advantageous for the way Firethorn was set up.

When the game was updated and the world we have now finally came into being, a lot changed. Players had left, a lot more new ones came along. Our organization of Classic, the community backing the game, and the calibur of players that hung around attracted a lot more players than I think anyone really could have imagined. With Oxytown, a lot of those new players were ravenous in terms of the amount of time they played and how "into" Minecraf the got. One thing led to another and some groups of players in Oxytown began forming "empires" and fighting against each other, mostly for fun. As in most cases, the squeaky wheel gets oiled, and the squeaky wheel was the groups of players who formed these "empires" and so when the next city was developed, the largest empire that formed was given control of the city. Things went amock. Maybe it was role-playing taken too far, or maybe it was the maturity of the people in charge of the empire, or maybe it was the apathy of the other players, but concepts were put in place in Eagle Pass that were not fully discussed with everyone, but a select few.

This is where the server begins to die. When a small group begins to control aspects of a game that affects a vastly larger group, it becomes annoying. No, I don't want to role play and "pay taxes" and conform to lot sizes and height restrictions and themes. I want to play my game the way I want to play it and enjoy it with other people. Rules should be in place, yes, and those rules should be few and simple to keep everyone in order and avoid general douchebaggery. My time to play games is precious and I don't want to have to join a world where I am oppressed from being able to build and express myself how I want, especially if I know there is another world somewhere else that is less restrictive and runs just as well.
thiiisss ^^^^^

time for mah story?

i've been on classic since... last christmas or something. got builder rank, blablalba....
Hademar bought beta for me (he has a creditcard :3) somewhere in januari/februari
that was a few weeks before oxytown and outlands were born.

in those weeks i lived far far away with some RL friends. building a new base when people came too close.
i was bored of walking everytime so i moved back to the spawn region, i noticed there were boundaries...
my house with valuables was like.... 20 blocks outside it :3 so i had to start over again

looking for a new place to build (in oxytown) i found hawke and his towerbay. an example of how oxytown could've been if there were rules, and i liked it alot. after a while there was EP.
everyone moved to ep, i made a nice house with hademar. and we were havign fun with eachother by just chatting. (remember the party in my hottub? nekked cheese!). Then i became minister of architecture (changed it to minister of cheese now). everything went well and such, and then there were the greasers. the greasers were made coz tshi was bored :p. and we had a war. we made fancy militairy structures in outlands and ep. from then on CE was known as an agressive faction. (we were bored and wanted to fight with castles etc.)

and then there was HoboTown, best place ever :D only build rule was: tent only.
made a CE camp nearby to "protect" hobotown. took over a tower and made it a tower with dispensers and redstone :3
and we were havign fun with ALL people who lived in hobotown. whitelisted or not, everyone was there.

BUT... then EC was made.
some people went there, some people didn't coz they were not whitelisted.
worst part was: ep portal moved south. people were seperated.

people got bored again, wanted to fight, prof found a pvp faction server and we all went there. mostly the people who were active during the EP Times. like prof, hawke, feone etc. and were having fun again building airships and raiding with 20+ people at once :3

so.... i prefer the ep and hobo times, but this is close enough ;)
not this....

is anyone else noticing a fucking pattern here...
members of cydonia had fun when people who werent in cydonia got fucked over and had to deal wtih there shit and by shit i mean hawks shit.
this was no fun.
in firethorn where these were the rules: dont grief : dont troll : dont steal : dont annoy people : build anywhere : have "fun"
and guess what every single damn player followed these rules.and moondoggy i applaud your comment. people wanted power , empires, which in my mind was total bullshit, the mcc job was to make layouts and have fun, and while we were doing this cydonia was taking every diamond from the outlands by sitting on there asses saying this is to big or this looks ugly.

main point being dont give the power of a world that could have been perfect into the hands of one person thats stubborn and wants the game "he" wants not the way "we" want it.
if Wooty were to make a whitelist world, that was infinite, or better yet, the old firethron map with nothing built on it.that.... that is the day i can play team9000 and have fun.... but until then im probably gonna see a repeated series of power and set rules that are not rules to follow so you can have fun but rules set so you are limited to not have fun....

With Builder and Oxytown ranks that Woot recently put in, (Recently removed as well?) I hope he's going to continue to employ at least some humble groupings. Or not, I suppose, it all depends on whether or not we're getting a Faction-based PVP and how all that runs.

And if I might input on Cydonia's rule:
I find their rules were far from tyranny, though if diamonds were stockpiled that's a bit corrupt.
Plot and housing rules are evidence of civilization, with those in place the realm could permit a wider range of members, regardless of capability, and not have to worry about being over-run, or flooded with flagrantly unappealing homes.
It's a clash between freedoms, and the fact that some people make really ugly junk with their freedom.

Well thought out post, and correct imo. To me, Minecraft Beta is about building. And to build, you need resources, so it's about collecting resources. And of course bragging about who has how many diamonds and all of those shenanigans but nowhere in there does it say, have a large group of people set binds on what you can build and how you can build it. Especially charging you "taxes" to build bigger. If you can build bigger, and make it still look good, "bigger is better" doesn't always work, then that should be greatly encouraged! Not taxed. That's just my 2 cents.

PS - When I say its about building, that's just the main thing, I enjoy trading, fighting, collecting and that too.

Edit: And to the original topic of the sever dying, I don't think it's dying. Just growing and changing.

I wish I had minecraft when Firethorn was around, I was confined to Classic until the Outlands and everything else was implemented. It (By means of hearsay) sounded like an ideal minecraft utopia as a massive city in the middle of something the size of the Outlands. Maybe if something like firethorn were to happen again, Woot might be able to release the Nether without the server getting extremely lagged down.
I would like it also if Team9000 doesn't just become a massive PvP server like most other big servers out there. I think we should focus on something more productive than just trying to capture tons of territory or trying to take everyone with with diamond armor and sword.
I hope change comes soon, because we really need it!

the taxes in ep were kinda.... 100% useless
but still, we dont want everyone to build a giant cobble tower/box right?

and no, i didnt had fun because i were telling people what to do or what not to do.

Since what I did at the beginning of this thread was talk about the server dying a slow tragic death, I guess I should share my story:

Back in December I joined the Reddit Survival Server and was having the grandest of time. There were no rules on building, there was one world, PvP was ENCOURAGED, and there was only one major law: No griefing. In mid-January I was part of the Legion of Shadows, and we were a faction that was dedicated to secrecy, we had a massive underground compound located deep in the ocean. It was a blast making it with no restrictions whatsoever. The Legion got into a war with the MRA (Minecraft Rail Association, basically the MCC of the Reddit server) when the MRA began to take over with their alleged "public rail ways" (which were actually used to take over the world fast). I was instructed to make a secret base next to their compound. Now people saw me near this compound and new I was in the Legion. While I was building the secret compound, the MRA compound was heavily griefed, and I was the first to blame. I was banned with no ability to appeal.

About a month went by since I had been banned unfairly from the Reddit server, and I was in search of a new server, one that wasn't a soulless freebuild server. What I came up on was a server called "Team9000 Survival Server". I had tried many servers already, but they either were outdated and never updated, non-24/7 servers, or just sucked. When I got on I was a ghost, nobody noticed me. From the spawn I found signs that lead me straight to Oxytown. To my dismay, I found out you needed whitelisting to build in the city. I made an account for the Team 9000 forums so I could get a build permit to build in Tower Bay/Los Angeloxy. Once again, I was disappointed to find out that permits were no longer being passed out for Oxytown. I was told to wait for the "new city". I roamed Oxytown for a few days just sightseeing, trying to see if it compared to Mumble City (my home city on the Reddit Survival Server before I joined the legion). Mumble city blew Oxytown out of the water, because Mumble City was mainly composed of historic wooden structures with log roofs and a realism clause. Then I heard that temporary access to the newly named Eagle Pass was being given through Oxytown. The minute I heard this I rushed to the portal and hopped in. All I saw was the MCC station, and Rileypr's Sugary Coast. I wasn't in love. Yet. Soon the first main street led to the under construction Cydonian Tower. I went up to the construction sight to see multiple people working on it. Then somebody destroyed a chest in front of me full of stuff, mainly containing building materials. The frames went bad and I fell in and accidently collected a lot of cobblestone and planks. One of the Cydonians said "just take it". During the early days of Eagle Pass I met most of the people I know today. When the first street was completed and the fountain was finished, I began to fall in love with the town. I applied for a permit. This was the most painful process I ever went through in Team 9000. I watched the entire town just expand around me, growing. The town opened and most of the lots I wanted were taken. I finally claimed a lot on the lake, that I really liked, with the help of ThaProfessor. Then I learned something that infuriated me to the boiling point. My permit was denied for reasons I don't know to this day. I ended up waiting 5.5-6 weeks before my permit was FINALLY given to me. Even then, I had to wait another week just for the whitelist to update. So I basically waited 6-7 weeks for a permit. I built my house and truly loved the town, I had many friends in the Empire, so I decided to join it. After joining the Cydonian Empire and building my house, my parents took me on an RV trip for a few days. When I came back, things were crazy. Tshinotu had betrayed the empire and started his own faction, The Greasers. We beat the Greasers once, and then Tshinotu decided he wanted to 1 v 1 me, ME, a private in the Imperial Guard. I ended up beating him 5 rounds out of the 5 rounds we faced off. I got promoted to sergeant for this. I had some more fun times (including a party with some nekkid cheese). Then the beginning of the end came.

HoboTown opened. Now I enjoyed HoboTown, it was an amazing freebuild town with only one law: Your house must not be a house, it must be a tent. We had some more fun times here, and things were still great, until Elm Creek opened. Elm Creek opened and many people took the long journey across the outlands to see it. The Eagle Pass portal also moved far from HoboTown. JerryBottom griefed HoboTown, and the city began to die. The problem was, it started a revolution that would kill whitelist cities, and result with many people leaving the server. Waffles started a war against the Cydonian Empire, and Professor and I lead a unit that would defeat Waffleville and begin a long occupation. This was the last good time I would have with Professor on the Team 9000 server. With Cydonian victory, Waffleville grew, but like HoboTown, got heavily griefed, and died. Then came Mebville, big dramatic event, and the town died. It is only a matter of time until a new outlands city sprouts and becomes "the place to be". Unfortunately, most of the Cydonian Empire quit the server to form a PvP squad dedicated to world domination (on other servers). Many other well known members quit due to the boring chain of outlands cities, and the fact that whitelist cities were ghost towns. People stayed (such as Tshinotu, Jerzeylegend, and number_J) and many left (TheGurw, ThaProfessor, Dutchcheese, Hademar, Zakkon, Feone etc.) And now the server is simply a chain of new players joining, and soon quitting, leaving only the boring outlands city chain. (Note: I am guilty of starting Maple City with Italay, Shark, and Shooter, but that is not the point). A few newer people joined and haven't quit yet, as they are just part of the outlands chain, and they are the only real people I see playing the server at this point.

There, that is my story.

It's a trouble that these towns actually cater and attract to newcomers. Which only attributes to their temporary nature.

I think that about mostly sums it up doesn't it?

Story: Joined t9k on sept 7th in classic. Played that for a while, got on alpha and had a blast.
Beta came out and I left while there were temp worlds, I hated that phase. Came back with the perm world, built tons of cool stuff, have a ball with friends. Didn't get on much because everyone was too far away, or working on other things. Everyone was just too busy. Now, guess what. I am still here, still having fun. Not on the home server mainly, but still with the t9k members. Kept it short for ya tl;dr people!

I think some of us need to take on more responsibility, like those before us have done. ThaProfessor, TheGurw, Zakkon, ect were always there making empires, incredible railways, and epic dome-like projects for the benefit of Team 9000 SMP. They have now left and our higher up staff has taken a turn for the worse, so naturally we need to work even harder to ensure Team 9000's survival. We need to start being the ones that help bring the change to this community, and because there's always new players, we don't want to end up with 500+ inexperienced miners in SMP and no one to help out or stop mass griefing. In reality though, the only way we can produce any major changes is bringing issues up to Wooty/Wooty and have him decide on what needs to be done.
I really don't think the server is dying, just a cycle of people coming and going as expected, but we can make the time they have here better through what we build and do.

Just a side-note but... anyone think these stories and speeches are getting a bit dramatic?

Back