The TED Thread

This is pretty good.

It's by Jamie Oliver, and it really opens your eyes about our diets are killing us - and our children. (Hope I linked the right one.)

Even more amazing, considering Oliver's dyslexic.

They actually have toilets you can buy and install in your home now that use zero water and your watse can be composted. The thing is you need to clean out the compost bin every so often, which not a whole lot of people want to do. I would like to have toilets like this in my house, then I can grow pretty shrubs and stuff around said home. I like bushes.
Oh man I am so deep into green tech I cant breathe for all the compost....

I'm somewhat of an expert on how easy it is to make the transition to going "off-grid" in my area. In a few years (after I get my Journeyman ticket), I'm actually going to be starting up a business based off of that.

Oh man I am so deep into green tech I cant breathe for all the compost....

I'm somewhat of an expert on how easy it is to make the transition to going "off-grid" in my area. In a few years (after I get my Journeyman ticket), I'm actually going to be starting up a business based off of that.

It's a shame you're Canadian. My wife would probably love to hire you to do green-type things around our house.

It's a shame you're Canadian. My wife would probably love to hire you to do green-type things around our house.
Shame? Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is the second most effective city in North America for solar power. Phoenix, Arizona, USA is the only city that gets more effective hours of sunlight :D

Bitch please my continent.
North America
Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that there are only three effective green energy sources in Australia, I'd move there. Where I live, we have 5.

Curious? Australia in general has solar, wind, and tidal energy sources. Here in Alberta we have solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and (oddly enough) biofuel in the form of corn.

You can argue that locally in Australia there are several other alternatives. Unfortunately, they're limited in area, and Australia really isn't that big compared to Canada. And really, when it comes down to it, y'all's mindsets towards green energy is even worse than here.

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that there are only three effective green energy sources in Australia, I'd move there. Where I live, we have 5.

Curious? Australia in general has solar, wind, and tidal energy sources. Here in Alberta we have solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and (oddly enough) biofuel in the form of corn.

You can argue that locally in Australia there are several other alternatives. Unfortunately, they're limited in area, and Australia really isn't that big compared to Canada. And really, when it comes down to it, y'all's mindsets towards green energy is even worse than here.
We do have many hydroelectricity plants... Such as the Snowy Mountains Hydro, near Thredbo (the only snowy place in Australia.) And we do utilise geothermal and biofuel...

But you're right, no-one gives a sod about green energy here, 'cept for the Greens, who are fairly anarchial.

Shame? Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is the second most effective city in North America for solar power. Phoenix, Arizona, USA is the only city that gets more effective hours of sunlight :D

I was more referring to the fact that you would have at least one guaranteed project as soon as you became a Journeyman.

I was more referring to the fact that you would have at least one guaranteed project as soon as you became a Journeyman.
Hahaha, here in Alberta, if you're an electrician without work, you are a particularly shitty electrician; or you just don't want to work.

Here are my contributions.

Bill Gates on energy: Innovating to zero!
Christopher "moot" Poole: The case for anonymity online
will not be a problem for my life time.
It already is a problem, and it involves many factors other than water.

This talk is making a good point. We really are letting technology take over too much.

I think that we need to remember that there is a world out there and we need to detract from the cyber world and move back into the real world. Future Generations are going to have reduced vocabulary and will be spending most of their time communicating through electronic networks when they could just as easily be talking face to face.

We are not communicating to our fullest potential and we are not being oursleves, we are moving into a world of being able to control what people see of us and what we say, which is a counter to the openness that the web enables, and this is a problem.

My Godfather, Hugh Mackay, wrote a book recently called What Makes Us Tick in which he went through what he believes are the 10 things that drive us. It is worth a read as it makes some good points and really shows that we are not meeting those basic needs that make us who we are.

Let's be realistic here.

I can't get out of bed at 11am.

Thinking about changing the world and managing population is out of my league.

So I fantasize I'm the King of new north Korea and I have a huge-ass castle.

Back