Thought

Tai_K_Yagami

I enjoy Serenity's philosophical threads so much that I think we should have more of these. So, major credit is given to Serenity for his awesome work and what inspired me to make this thread in the first place.

Philosophical Question of the day:

What is thought? What constitutes for a thought? What stimulates a thought? Why do we even think?

Now that's a thought
Ohohohoho
Nah but now for actual answer teim

What is thought? What constitutes for a thought? What stimulates a thought? Why do we even think?
Who even thinks
Ohohohohohohohooo
Nah but for realsies this time

What is thought?
A conscious realization, perhaps.
Like you don't think about blinking, or breathing; they're subconscious reactions.
A thought is when you mull something over intentionally.
Yeah oath question 2 come on bitches

What constitutes for a thought?
Going back to my previous, fresh, statement, a thought's gotta be deliberate.
I mean, often you react with instinct, or you're following instructions.
A thought is inherently creative in that it's an original concept.
Maybe not original in the sense "I should dye my pubes purple because no-one's ever done that before and it's neat"
But in that you're not repeating something or enacting something that's already divined
D-D-D-DOUBLE KILL ANSWER

What stimulates a thought?
Perhaps a unique situation.
Again, not unique as in "This guy's painting his pubis in the middle of the road what even"
But a scenario that's not immediately obvious to figure out
For instance, I don't think when I wiggle my dick to get piss out
I always do that - it's a habit
But if I dribbled a little on the ground it's not instinctual for me to grab some TP and wipe that stuff up
I think "Well I'm probably going to step in that later and I don't really want that"
So I think about it and clean up me mess
yeah
PENIS REFERENCES GO GO GO

Why do we even think?
Because life is complicated.
Part of life is its unpredictability
I don't know if I'm going to have Weet-Bix or Corn Flakes tomorrow
I don't know if I'm going to feel like adding honey or maple syrup to my breakfast
I'm not sure if my girlfriend wants some tea in the morning; she probably doesn't know either
I need to think about whether I add one or two sugars to me cup-a-cha' because I'm not sure how sweet it's gonna be
I need to think about the implications of beating up Justin Bieber,
Even though it's instinctual for me to bash his fucking face in
So yeah
We need to think because things are tricky

4/20

That was slightly half-arsed
But thread's going now
Let's keep rollin' kids

Now that's a thought
Ohohohoho
Nah but now for actual answer teim

Who even thinks
Ohohohohohohohooo
Nah but for realsies this time

A conscious realization, perhaps.
Like you don't think about blinking, or breathing; they're subconscious reactions.
A thought is when you mull something over intentionally.
Yeah oath question 2 come on bitches

Going back to my previous, fresh, statement, a thought's gotta be deliberate.
I mean, often you react with instinct, or you're following instructions.
A thought is inherently creative in that it's an original concept.
Maybe not original in the sense "I should dye my pubes purple because no-one's ever done that before and it's neat"
But in that you're not repeating something or enacting something that's already divined
D-D-D-DOUBLE KILL ANSWER

Perhaps a unique situation.
Again, not unique as in "This guy's painting his pubis in the middle of the road what even"
But a scenario that's not immediately obvious to figure out
For instance, I don't think when I wiggle my dick to get piss out
I always do that - it's a habit
But if I dribbled a little on the ground it's not instinctual for me to grab some TP and wipe that stuff up
I think "Well I'm probably going to step in that later and I don't really want that"
So I think about it and clean up me mess
yeah
PENIS REFERENCES GO GO GO

Because life is complicated.
Part of life is its unpredictability
I don't know if I'm going to have Weet-Bix or Corn Flakes tomorrow
I don't know if I'm going to feel like adding honey or maple syrup to my breakfast
I'm not sure if my girlfriend wants some tea in the morning; she probably doesn't know either
I need to think about whether I add one or two sugars to me cup-a-cha' because I'm not sure how sweet it's gonna be
I need to think about the implications of beating up Justin Bieber,
Even though it's instinctual for me to bash his fucking face in
So yeah
We need to think because things are tricky

4/20

That was slightly half-arsed
But thread's going now
Let's keep rollin' kids
That ending was deep dude.

So does a thought have to necessarily be based upon pure thought provoking and unconventional ideas? Can't it just simply be a thought about deciding whether to turn on the tv? Do decisions have a role in our thinking and what majority of it? Also, is the formatting of our thoughts similar to everyone else's on average. I mean, deaf people can't think like us because there is no sound. Blind people can think visually because they are blind. Basically, how do I know I think similarly to anyone else like it's normal?

That ending was deep dude.

So does a thought have to necessarily be based upon pure thought provoking and unconventional ideas? Can't it just simply be a thought about deciding whether to turn on the tv? Do decisions have a role in our thinking and what majority of it? Also, is the formatting of our thoughts similar to everyone else's on average. I mean, deaf people can't think like us because there is no sound. Blind people can think visually because they are blind. Basically, how do I know I think similarly to anyone else like it's normal?
You will never know if what you think is the same way other people think or if they are even there in the first place. An example of this problem is Solipsism. The only way we can even begin to be sure that other people think the same way would be if we were able to fully understand every single function of the brain and how ever single tiny cell contributes to thoughts, what thoughts are what, and if we could create physical thoughts to implant into a brain.

You will never know if what you think is the same way other people think or if they are even there in the first place. An example of this problem is Solipsism. The only way we can even begin to be sure that other people think the same way would be if we were able to fully understand every single function of the brain and how ever single tiny cell contributes to thoughts, what thoughts are what, and if we could create physical thoughts to implant into a brain.
Do we then remain incarcerated in our own minds till the end?

Do we then remain incarcerated in our own minds till the end?
I'm a subscriber to the theory that our brains create our reality. So is it truly incarceration when it is literally the only thing we are capable of knowing? I ask you the question in another form: worker ants are known not to be capable of processing the same thoughts as the queen of the colony. Are they then incarcerated, locked into a prison with no escape? I say no, because it is their fullest potential that they are living.

I'm a subscriber to the theory that our brains create our reality. So is it truly incarceration when it is literally the only thing we are capable of knowing? I ask you the question in another form: worker ants are known not to be capable of processing the same thoughts as the queen of the colony. Are they then incarcerated, locked into a prison with no escape? I say no, because it is their fullest potential that they are living.
With that in mind, is the "reality" beyond our own mental perception of the world then all just illusory without true form? How does our brain take into account for all of this and sort of "organize" a world beyond our own? Or, are we the ones that are mere illusions to the world instead and carry an arbitrarily stagnant viewpoint that everything revolves around us? How can we ever really know for sure?

With that in mind, is the "reality" beyond our own mental perception of the world then all just illusory without true form? How does our brain take into account for all of this and sort of "organize" a world beyond our own? Or, are we the ones that are mere illusions to the world instead and carry an arbitrarily stagnant viewpoint that everything revolves around us? How can we ever really know for sure?
Look at it this way. If someone removed your brain and put it into a perfect virtual-reality system (both taking your inputs and responding to them, and giving "sensory" feedback as well), you wouldn't know the difference.

You could be in the Matrix, right now, and have no idea. So CAN there be a reality beyond your own? As far as you know, I don't exist. In fact, neither does the internet, or the milk carton in your fridge (btw, you're almost out).

Look at it this way. If someone removed your brain and put it into a perfect virtual-reality system (both taking your inputs and responding to them, and giving "sensory" feedback as well), you wouldn't know the difference.

You could be in the Matrix, right now, and have no idea. So CAN there be a reality beyond your own? As far as you know, I don't exist. In fact, neither does the internet, or the milk carton in your fridge (btw, you're almost out).
:eek: How did you know I was almost out?

Edit: You literally made me walk all the way to my fridge just to look if I still had milk left. I will particularly watch out for you in my fridge Gurw.

Or we could be in Sim City played by 4D beings

Thought is the only thing that keeps me from killing people. The fact that I know I have the mind of a serial killer is the only thing stopping me.

Edit: for those curious, no I am not what a doctor would call "mentally stable"

Thought is the only thing that keeps me from killing people. The fact that I know I have the mind of a serial killer is the only thing stopping me.

Edit: for those curious, no I am not what a doctor would call "mentally stable"
Let's change gears. Considering that, to the best of my knowledge, there is no actual medical classification of mentally stable; are any of us? Or is being "mentally stable" a social standard that is unattainable, similar to the "traditional American family" of WWII-era middle America?

A co-worker of mine gave my crew a "psychopath" test. It's a simple, one-word question that most people can't answer immediately. Supposedly, psychopaths and sociopaths (know the difference) will be able to answer immediately, and will usually follow the answer with a word or phrase similar to "Duh." I'm unaware if this is actually part of a psychological exam of some sort, but the question seems fitting; and since of my 15-person crew, only my sub-foreman and I answered correctly, it seems somewhat accurate.

A man goes to his aunt's funeral. While there, a woman he has never seen before is also there. They talk and really hit it off. However, he forgets to get a way to contact her before they depart. A couple weeks later, he kills his mother. Why?

Let's change gears. Considering that, to the best of my knowledge, there is no actual medical classification of mentally stable; are any of us? Or is being "mentally stable" a social standard that is unattainable, similar to the "traditional American family" of WWII-era middle America?

A co-worker of mine gave my crew a "psychopath" test. It's a simple, one-word question that most people can't answer immediately. Supposedly, psychopaths and sociopaths (know the difference) will be able to answer immediately, and will usually follow the answer with a word or phrase similar to "Duh." I'm unaware if this is actually part of a psychological exam of some sort, but the question seems fitting; and since of my 15-person crew, only my sub-foreman and I answered correctly, it seems somewhat accurate.

A man goes to his aunt's funeral. While there, a woman he has never seen before is also there. They talk and really hit it off. However, he forgets to get a way to contact her before they depart. A couple weeks later, he kills his mother. Why?

As I said "what a doctor would call"

http://personality-testing.info/tests/LSRP.php

Honest answers given, I know it's just a stupid online opinion, but it's still interesting to look at.

I am apparently 97% more of a psychopath than most.

As I read through some articles, I am beginning to see that I may be 30% psychopath, but 70% sociopath.
Psychopaths are born. Sociopaths are made. While possible to be both, if your "psycho" tendencies are random instead of carefully planned out, you're more of a psychopath. If they're carefully planned to avoid causing personal damage to yourself, you exhibit more sociopathic tendencies.

Psychopaths are born. Sociopaths are made. While possible to be both, if your "psycho" tendencies are random instead of carefully planned out, you're more of a psychopath. If they're carefully planned to avoid causing personal damage to yourself, you exhibit more sociopathic tendencies.
I often plan out arguments I foresee in the near future. This may just be a common "panic mode" for most, but for me it works it's way into everything I do.

Back