• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Town Permissions question/suggestion

kimbal86

In response to this post:

New Town System:

Some of you may have picked up pieces of this from the chat, but here's the full scoop. Towny is going away. It works poorly, it does more than we need, and it doesn't do some of the things we DO need.

In its place, I will be creating a new webapp (think something like Launch), where you can create and maintain your Towns. You can buy plots through the webapp, which will deduct the relevant credits from your account. You can setup other users as "assistants," and can make a list of players who will have build access in your town.

Each time you make a change on the webapp, a script will generate a new WorldGuard region protection file, containing all the new cities and permissions. WorldGuard will be in charge of all the protections and permissions for each city.

Sub-town permissions will probably come eventually, but will not be available in the first release.

Will the initial implementation of this webapp mean that all town members with build and switch permissions will have them for the entire town? That is to say, will we have to wait until sub-town permissions are implemented before we are able to protect chests from being entered by other members of the town we are in?

With regards to sub-town permissions:

I know they're a lower priority, but will they work in a similar way to in Towny or will they be more flexible? Specifically, could it be possible to zone protected areas to a custom size in all three dimensions?

If this could be implemented, it would make it possible to build apartment blocks and allow town members to 'own' a single protected room within said block. It would also make it easier for town owners to allocate building space to members whilst protecting pathways and public areas. An example of this would be the ability to zone a building area on the surface whilst preserving a subterranean railway or town mine as a public area with different permissions to the building above.

Something I have seen on other servers is the ability to hire protected rooms for a set amount of time by clicking on a sign. Such a system would make hotel type structures possible (and could be a way for a town to generate income?).

Something else I like that I have seen implemented on other servers is the ability to buy a protection stone from a shop for in game credits, which when placed gives protection to a small (4 x 4 x 3, for example) zone. Something similar to this might be good to help protect wilderness bases, especially for players who do not want to join a town. To minimise the risk of people griefing by placing protected zones everywhere, they might even be limited so that each player can only have one placed at a time?

I hope people understand what I'm trying to say...

In response to this post:

Will the initial implementation of this webapp mean that all town members with build and switch permissions will have them for the entire town? That is to say, will we have to wait until sub-town permissions are implemented before we are able to protect chests from being entered by other members of the town we are in?

With regards to sub-town permissions:

I know they're a lower priority, but will they work in a similar way to in Towny or will they be more flexible? Specifically, could it be possible to zone protected areas to a custom size in all three dimensions?

If this could be implemented, it would make it possible to build apartment blocks and allow town members to 'own' a single protected room within said block. It would also make it easier for town owners to allocate building space to members whilst protecting pathways and public areas. An example of this would be the ability to zone a building area on the surface whilst preserving a subterranean railway or town mine as a public area with different permissions to the building above.

Something I have seen on other servers is the ability to hire protected rooms for a set amount of time by clicking on a sign. Such a system would make hotel type structures possible (and could be a way for a town to generate income?).

Something else I like that I have seen implemented on other servers is the ability to buy a protection stone from a shop for in game credits, which when placed gives protection to a small (4 x 4 x 3, for example) zone. Something similar to this might be good to help protect wilderness bases, especially for players who do not want to join a town. To minimise the risk of people griefing by placing protected zones everywhere, they might even be limited so that each player can only have one placed at a time?

It took me some time, but i understand you. I like the idea, this is the ideal way to make sure people can get in and out your house but not enter specific rooms. I just don't understand the "protection stone", like you call it. Is it some kind of bedrock that only you can delete to access a place or something else?

It took me some time, but i understand you. I like the idea, this is the ideal way to make sure people can get in and out your house but not enter specific rooms. I just don't understand the "protection stone", like you call it. Is it some kind of bedrock that only you can delete to access a place or something else?

I'm not 100% sure how it was implemented but I believe it was some sort of block that, when placed into the world, places a protected zone immediately around itself that only the placer of the block is able to build, destroy, or switch inside of. Would be useful to protect chests for people who choose not to belong to a town.

Most of this is unlikely.

Fair enough.

I'm not 100% sure how it was implemented but I believe it was some sort of block that, when placed into the world, places a protected zone immediately around itself that only the placer of the block is able to build, destroy, or switch inside of. Would be useful to protect chests for people who choose not to belong to a town.

Fair enough.
So it generates some kinda forcefield around it?
Epic.

So it generates some kinda forcefield around it?
Epic.
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/preciousstones/
Here you can get idea what is possible with WG : https://github.com/downloads/sk89q/worldguard/worldguard_ref_rev2.pdf
Problem is, anything nonstandard (like vertical limiting, non cube/rectangular shapes, extensive overlapping and priorities) can be hard to maintain and control, so my guess would be we will be able to buy land the way we used to in Towny, just now without Towny.

Back