Tried to Sing a thing...

It was pretty good. It seemed that your voiced dipped quite a bit a few times. Not really sure if that was intentional, but keep it up. Don't forget about Outer Science ;)
Or you could just tell me this in the skype call that you've AFK'd in for four and a half hours.

Hmm. So I'm at a lost for what to sing.

I'm basically recording shorts, deciding they suck and trashing them.

Basically, I've become a prefectionist without any skill.

Which is a very bad loop to be in.

I'll like, take suggestions? Preferably vocaloid that isn't too fast, but I'll accept anything you can find an off-vocal for and that I like.

(Reguardless, my next cover will probably be Donut Hole by Hachi)

Choose a song that matches your voice is the best advice I can give. I've seen singers crash and burn because they chose a song that really did not match their vocal abilities.
And don't be upset if you slide on a note. Even the most professional singers still slide on that one note. A quick-tip to learning a song, go the song once through and if you only have tiny parts that didn't turn out right, just work on those parts.
Projection is also a huge key, it's good to practice making your voice that little bit stronger, though forcing it can slaughter your voice, so do what comes naturally.
I don't know many songs but I think this might be good practice for pitch, timing and everything else and it's got a pretty soft projection.

Your Japanese pronunciation is pretty good, it makes your songs sound confident. I suggest just trying to find what vocal range you're comfortable with and practice it. Keep it up.

The main issue I'm having is I can't seem to shake that whisper-ey breathy undertone from my voice. It hinders my projection. I also speak with the same breathyness, like I'm singing/talking while sighing. Any idea what I should do?

I do sing with mah diaphragm.

The main issue I'm having is I can't seem to shake that whisper-ey breathy undertone from my voice. It hinders my projection. I also speak with the same breathyness, like I'm singing/talking while sighing. Any idea what I should do?

I do sing with mah diaphragm.
Well singing with your diaphragm is hella good!
The sighing stuff is usually common and is blocked with a screen when singing in a microphone. I had the same problem when I was learning to sing but I had the help of a musical Dad and a studio to practice.
Practice is the only thing I can suggest. If you've got a piano [even a little toy one], go up and down the spectrum sing each note until you can't go any further one way or another. That improves you projection of that particular note and also your range. Doing that exercise broke my hella high soprano.

Well singing with your diaphragm is hella good!
The sighing stuff is usually common and is blocked with a screen when singing in a microphone. I had the same problem when I was learning to sing but I had the help of a musical Dad and a studio to practice.
Practice is the only thing I can suggest. If you've got a piano [even a little toy one], go up and down the spectrum sing each note until you can't go any further one way or another. That improves you projection of that particular note and also your range. Doing that exercise broke my hella high soprano.
Whipping out the keyboard. Start with middle C I guess?

So I just got my new set of professional harmonicas in, so I thought I'd record one of my favorites with it - Body in a Box by City and Colour. The song is originally in the key of A, but that's really pushing my range so I dropped it down a full key to G. Guitar, harmonica, and voice were recorded at the same time.
Took me three tries to get an acceptable recording.

Any critiques are appreciated.

So I just got my new set of professional harmonicas in, so I thought I'd record one of my favorites with it - Body in a Box by City and Colour. The song is originally in the key of A, but that's really pushing my range so I dropped it down a full key to G. Guitar, harmonica, and voice were recorded at the same time.
Took me three tries to get an acceptable recording.

Any critiques are appreciated.

I'm pretty keen on Dallas Green man, nice job. You should definitely see how you can bring your sound out with studio quality equipment, imo.

I'm pretty keen on Dallas Green man, nice job. You should definitely see how you can bring your sound out with studio quality equipment, imo.
Yep... I have a man crush on Dallas - I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened through "The Hurry and The Harm" and "Bring Me Your Love". I don't think I envy anyone's voice more than his, especially when he goes into falsetto on those really high notes.

I'm using a Blue Yeti USB mic that I bought off ebay a while ago used, but I don't think it's the equipment's fault. I could always try soundproofing the area a little bit, and I think it may have helped if I had recorded the voice separately or just leaned into the microphone whilst singing... Thanks for the input, I'll try to get the levels right in the future.

Back