• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Umm... wut?

Squirley_Guy

Earlier today I was playing Minecraft just fine. I log off for a while, and when I get back on, the opening screen (when you first open up Minecraft) says this:

<html><body><font color="#808080"><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><center>Failed to update news<br>java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: connect</center></font></body></html>

When I press the login button, it says "Can't connect to Minecraft.net". I looked on the map, and it is obvious that others aren't having this problem... Help? Also, I do apologize for my computer un-savviness if this is just a quick fix.

Earlier today I was playing Minecraft just fine. I log off for a while, and when I get back on, the opening screen (when you first open up Minecraft) says this:

<html><body><font color="#808080"><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><center>Failed to update news<br>java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: connect</center></font></body></html>

I looked on the map, and it is obvious that others aren't having this problem... Help? Also, I do apologize for my computer un-savviness if this is just a quick fix.
usually just a temporary internet failure. happens to me all the time.

This started around noonish and it is now about 5, it usually doesn't last this long... Also I can't log in with WoM to classic either

It is still happening, more than a day later. I have tried to log in at minecraft.net, but it just comes up with a black screen. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

Anyone? All I have found is that usually when this happens it only happens for a couple of minutes and it should be resolved quickly, and it happens to everyone. It has gone on for over a day for specifically me. I tried updating, that didn't work. Help? Please?

Do you think you could explain it here or in a private message? I have had complications with trying to download it in the past, but if not I can try again.

I assume you're still trying to type in your username and password anyway? Failure to update the news doesn't in itself prevent you from logging in to Minecraft - often I start Minecraft before my modem has connected to the Internet, so I see the above message, then I just wait to log in until my modem is connected and it works fine.

I assume you're still trying to type in your username and password anyway? Failure to update the news doesn't in itself prevent you from logging in to Minecraft - often I start Minecraft before my modem has connected to the Internet, so I see the above message, then I just wait to log in until my modem is connected and it works fine.
I'm guessing you didn't read the posts below that then, did you?

I'm guessing you didn't read the posts below that then, did you?

I did. I just wanted to point out to you, and anyone else who reads this, that failure to update the news doesn't really matter too much - you should worry more about the failure to log in than the failure to update the news. It's like saying "help, my shirt is wet!" instead of "help, I'm bleeding!"

I did. I just wanted to point out to you, and anyone else who reads this, that failure to update the news doesn't really matter too much - you should worry more about the failure to log in than the failure to update the news. It's like saying "help, my shirt is wet!" instead of "help, I'm bleeding!"
All right, I guess I just didn't make it clear in the first post.

By 'it' I'm guessing you mean the computer, and yes I have, and no it didn't work.
I meant both, or...all three? I don't know what you'd call that one. For me, my router sometimes is a little bitch and it starts messing things up until I reset it.

So when you log into classic via minecraft.net you say there is a black screen. Does the whole screen turn black or just the game window?

It sounds like you should delete your .minecraft folder and see if that works. If not delete EVERYTHING and download a new copy of Minecraft.

It sounds like you should delete your .minecraft folder and see if that works. If not delete EVERYTHING and download a new copy of Minecraft.

Save the screenshots folder if you have any you want to keep, before deleting the entire .minecraft folder.

Back