What are you currently reading?

Bink_says_Boo.jpg

Tough book to read. :derp:
Diary of a Wimpy Kid lulz

Just finished The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Great books. Hate the idea of it probably being a few more years until the next book ;( Before that I read The Naked and the Dead - another great book that I would recommend. Currently rereading the LoTR trilogy.

I approve of this thread.

Also, I amd currently reading a title called "A Dance of Cloaks" by David Dalglish, but I only just started. I recently finished the Chronicles of the Necromancer Series and loved it. Also, am reading Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson.

My suggestion to read is this: http://www.amazon.com/Mistborn-Final-Empire-Book/dp/0765350386

Called the Mistborn Series, I have gotten both Ralphy and Tommy started on it.

Also, this: http://www.amazon.com/Way-Shadows-Night-Angel-Trilogy/dp/0316033677

Night Angel Trilogy, is basically a book about an assassin of epic proportions.

Also also wit, anyone read Wheel of Time?

My wife actually bought Guns Germs and Steel and read some of it and found it to be boring. I haven't tried to read it myself, I suppose I should at least give it a shot. I can't say I've heard of the other book, though it does sound familiar.

A book on history that I read and enjoyed is Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals". It's a detailed chronology of Abraham Lincoln's presidency. Obviously the ending is tragic, but it still left me feeling good.

That is funny, one of my required readings is a biography of Abraham Lincoln, it gets pretty sentimental but other than that its pretty good.
McGovernLincoln3.jpg

"Collapse" is an awesome read. It puts in concise terms and examples of how our social/political/environmental decisions can screw us or allow us to succeed. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (which was written first).

Since you're a science major, I also recommend "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, which puts forth the idea that genes are actively competing against one another, how organisms that carry these genes are influenced by this genetic competition, and ways we can overcome our biological defects. It's very interesting if you are an evolutionary biologist/sociologist.

"Hot, Flat, and Crowded" by Thomas Friedman is a great read if you're a practical environmentalist (I take it from your name that you have some interest in environmental issues :) ). Friedman elucidates how environmental issues will be a major player in a world with rising populations and shrinking resources.

Another book by Friedman called "Longitudes and Attitudes" opened up my eyes to why the Middle East always seems fraught with problems. It was written before the recent Arab Spring, so it seems a little antiquated now, but there's still a deep history about the Middle East that is rarely seen.

I hope you like my suggestions, and see ya around!

Awesome, I will definitely be stopping by the library soon to see if they have those. The title Collapse reminds me of the documentary, more of a testimony, with the same title about peak oil and resources. It's pretty depressing but I recommend it.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/50078/Collapse__part_1_/

when I get time I am going to either start reading:
  • The Slap" by Christopher Tsiolkas,
  • Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence,
  • Obernewytn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody
or
  • All of Rowena Cory Danielle's books!

You're reading the Zinn?! That's so awesome! It's a terrible book, but I love the idea of looking at history from a completely skewed and one sided perspective. At the end of the day all or our history is that skewed.

I haven't been reading that one as much as this

http://goo.gl/RAsrw

You should hear my professor lecture, he makes it the biggest deal that ever existed. In fact, every single history teacher I've had does that.
God help you if you disturb him or break one of his rules.

I haven't been reading that one as much as this

http://goo.gl/RAsrw

You should hear my professor lecture, he makes it the biggest deal that ever existed. In fact, every single history teacher I've had does that.
God help you if you disturb him or break one of his rules.
I have a copy of "A People's History of the United States" on my bookshelf right next to "A Patriot's History of the United States". The first one was horribly marxist and skewed, the second one is poorly written and horribly fascist.

I have a copy of "A People's History of the United States" on my bookshelf right next to "A Patriot's History of the United States". The first one was horribly marxist and skewed, the second one is poorly written and horribly fascist.

What the fuck is up with this book description.
for A Patriot's History

"For at least thirty years, high school and college students have been taught to be embarrassed by American history. Required readings have become skewed toward a relentless focus on our countryÂ’s darkest moments, from slavery to McCarthyism. As a result, many history books devote more space to Harriet Tubman than to Abraham Lincoln; more to My Lai than to the American Revolution; more to the internment of Japanese Americans than to the liberation of Europe in World War II.
Now, finally, there is an antidote to this biased approach to our history. Two veteran history professors have written a sweeping, well-researched book that puts the spotlight back on AmericaÂ’s role as a beacon of liberty to the rest of the world."

Oh no, we need to stop emphasizing that humans can be assholes so that young people can try not to be assholes. Instead lets paint an unrealistic picture of the world, where the good guys always win, or some shit like that.

What the fuck is up with this book description.
for A Patriot's History

"For at least thirty years, high school and college students have been taught to be embarrassed by American history. Required readings have become skewed toward a relentless focus on our countryÂ’s darkest moments, from slavery to McCarthyism. As a result, many history books devote more space to Harriet Tubman than to Abraham Lincoln; more to My Lai than to the American Revolution; more to the internment of Japanese Americans than to the liberation of Europe in World War II.
Now, finally, there is an antidote to this biased approach to our history. Two veteran history professors have written a sweeping, well-researched book that puts the spotlight back on AmericaÂ’s role as a beacon of liberty to the rest of the world."

Oh no, we need to stop emphasizing that humans can be assholes so that young people can try not to be assholes. Instead lets paint an unrealistic picture of the world, where the good guys always win, or some shit like that.
Yeah, I got it for like... three dollars on clearance at borders. I didn't say it was good. I just said it was amusing. It's probably more skewed than the Zinn anyways.

Ollee, I'm also reading the night Angel Trilogy right now... or I was... stupid school.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get over the term "Wetboy" though.

Yeah, I got it for like... three dollars on clearance at borders. I didn't say it was good. I just said it was amusing. It's probably more skewed than the Zinn anyways.

It's good that you brought it up, I've been so busy trying to finish reading I've been completely ignoring if my current book is skewed or biased.
I'm not even going to mention my high school history books, as they were laughably biased and optimistic.

Back