What is happiness?

Serenity595

Introduction

What is happiness, exactly? Is it a purely physical pleasure that can only be experienced by the senses, or is it a state of mind that is the absence of pain? Is happiness simply a way to survive the troubles of life or is it the sum quality of a lifetime?

Or is it something else entirely?

There are many definitions and philosophies regarding happiness, so I will only go over the four that tend to be the most prevalent in culture and society.

___

Hedonism

Simply defined, it's the philosophical view that happiness is pleasure. In this context, pleasure is only physical. The Greek philosopher Aristippus (435 - 356 B.C.), an advocate of Hedonism, believed that there was no satisfaction in even the memory or anticipation of pleasure. Rather, only what was experienced in the moment could be considered true happiness.

2344680472_08a37cd9f3.jpg

Diego Velazquez's (1599 - 1660) Los Borrachos (The Drunkards), depicting the philosophy of Hedonism through laughter and social drinking

___

Epicureanism

This philosophy regards that happiness is avoiding pain. Contrary to a Hedonist, an Epicurean mainly derives his happiness from being in a state of mind that is absent of pain, rather than simply feeling pleasure for a few brief moments. An Epicurean usually deals with pain by hoping for good in the future. The Greek formulator of Epicureanism, Epicurus (c. 341 - 270 B.C.), was against the beliefs of Hedonism and saw them as being illogical and insufficient. He believed true happiness came from a peaceful outlook rather than a mental euphoria.

1440532995_1089607189.jpg

Michelangelo's (1475 - 1564) The Creation of Adam, depicting the philosophy of Epicureanism through man's desire for no more pain

___

Stoicism

While Hedonism tells us to plan ahead for a life of many pleasures and Epicureanism advises us to avoid pain through discipline of the mind, Stoicism offers no such "illusions". Instead, a Stoic expects pain and rolls with the punches. However, even amidst such chaos, a Stoic can still believe that such pain happens for an orderly reason, even if that reason is not entirely understood. The first major advocate of Stoicism, another Greek philosopher by the name of Zeno (335 - 264 B.C.), would have believed in human reason and the assumption that mankind was a higher form of life in order to come to such a conclusion about happiness.

attachment.php

Leonardo da Vinci's (1452 - 1519) Ginevra de' Benci, depicting the philosophy of Stoicism through the woman's look of indifference

___

Aristotelianism

Though a Stoic would view life by the measure of his ability to deal with pain, an Aristotelian would reflect on his life by examining the sum quality of his entire lifetime, whether they were influenced by Hedonistic or Epicurean tendencies. In this context, happiness is defined by a summary of one's life rather than fleeting outbursts of joy. Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C.) concluded that things such as money, health, or love were provisions for happiness, but not happiness themselves. Rather, they were a means to an end.

1227818246b.jpg

Carvaggio's (1571 - 1610) Narcissus depicting the philosophy of Aristotelianism through reflections

___

Conclusion

Now that you have learned about several philosophies regarding the subject of happiness, which do you believe best describes your outlook on life? Do you live for the moment or plan for a stable and content life? Do you use happiness as a strategy for survival or as a way to measure the sum quality of your life? Or perhaps do you do something differently?

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

I believe happiness is based on the perception of the individual, not defined by a specific philosophy. What may make me "happy" may make someone else upset and vice versa.

Is anyone truly happy though, or is happiness just an illusion created by humanity to fulfill a lack of emotion for something?

Introduction

What is happiness, exactly? Is it a purely physical pleasure that can only be experienced by the senses, or is it a state of mind that is the absence of pain? Is happiness simply a way to survive the troubles of life or is it the sum quality of a lifetime?

Or is it something else entirely?

There are many definitions and philosophies regarding happiness, so I will only go over the four that tend to be the most prevalent in culture and society.

___

Hedonism

Simply defined, it's the philosophical view that happiness is pleasure. In this context, pleasure is only physical. The Greek philosopher Aristippus (435 - 356 B.C.), an advocate of Hedonism, believed that there was no satisfaction in even the memory or anticipation of pleasure. Rather, only what was experienced in the moment could be considered true happiness.

2344680472_08a37cd9f3.jpg

Diego Velazquez's (1599 - 1660) Los Borrachos (The Drunkards), depicting the philosophy of Hedonism through laughter and social drinking

___

Epicureanism

This philosophy regards that happiness is avoiding pain. Contrary to a Hedonist, an Epicurean mainly derives his happiness from being in a state of mind that is absent of pain, rather than simply feeling pleasure for a few brief moments. An Epicurean usually deals with pain by hoping for good in the future. The Greek formulator of Epicureanism, Epicurus (c. 341 - 270 B.C.), was against the beliefs of Hedonism and saw them as being illogical and insufficient. He believed true happiness came from a peaceful outlook rather than a mental euphoria.

1440532995_1089607189.jpg

Michelangelo's (1475 - 1564) The Creation of Adam, depicting the philosophy of Epicureanism through man's desire for no more pain

___

Stoicism

While Hedonism tells us to plan ahead for a life of many pleasures and Epicureanism advises us to avoid pain through discipline of the mind, Stoicism offers no such "illusions". Instead, a Stoic expects pain and rolls with the punches. However, even amidst such chaos, a Stoic can still believe that such pain happens for an orderly reason, even if that reason is not entirely understood. The first major advocate of Stoicism, another Greek philosopher by the name of Zeno (335 - 264 B.C.), would have believed in human reason and the assumption that mankind was a higher form of life in order to come to such a conclusion about happiness.

attachment.php

Leonardo da Vinci's (1452 - 1519) Ginevra de' Benci, depicting the philosophy of Stoicism through the woman's look of indifference

___

Aristotelianism

Though a Stoic would view life by the measure of his ability to deal with pain, an Aristotelian would reflect on his life by examining the sum quality of his entire lifetime, whether they were influenced by Hedonistic or Epicurean tendencies. In this context, happiness is defined by a summary of one's life rather than fleeting outbursts of joy. Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C.) concluded that things such as money, health, or love were provisions for happiness, but not happiness themselves. Rather, they were a means to an end.

1227818246b.jpg

Carvaggio's (1571 - 1610) Narcissus depicting the philosophy of Aristotelianism through reflections

___

Conclusion

Now that you have learned about several philosophies regarding the subject of happiness, which do you believe best describes your outlook on life? Do you live for the moment or plan for a stable and content life? Do you use happiness as a strategy for survival or as a way to measure the sum quality of your life? Or perhaps do you do something differently?

I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

I apologize for turning your philosophical thread into one of science, but in my opinion happiness, along with all other emotions, is caused by changes in hormone levels and chemical reactions inside your body. Happiness, specifically, is caused by the neurotransmitter serotonin being released into your body. Skryter already covered the second half of this though. What causes each individual's body to release the serotonin that makes us feel "happy" is different for each and every person, and even changes as we age and develop and experience life. When your brain experiences something it likes, it sends a signal to your endocrine system telling it to release serotonin which translates to the physical and emotional feeling of joy and happiness.

As much as I love philosophies, they are pretty useless. They are single sided answers to very complex questions. The truth is happiness can be any combination of those philosophies or things not covered by those 4 philosophies and is unique for each person. This holds true to everything from religions to theories in international affairs. By attempting to look at the world through the lens of a single theory or philosophy, you subject yourself to tunnel vision and blind yourself to the bigger picture.

... this could have been posted in the Blogs section...
tumblr_mff1txlfPu1rs7k3ko1_500.jpg

A blog does not allow for in-depth discussion through the use of the 'reply' feature of forum threads. It also does not allow for the use of hilarious pictures and memes.

If you want to read an amazing book that is heavily based in Hedonism, or just a brilliant book in general, read The Picture of Dorian Gray. While I do not agree with everything the book presents, it is thoroughly entertaining and definitely stimulates thoughts on your own perception of pleasure and happiness. I can't recommend it enough, especially for someone such as yourself Serenity.

I coulda sworn it was the open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

I apologize for turning your philosophical thread into one of science, but in my opinion happiness, along with all other emotions, is caused by changes in hormone levels and chemical reactions inside your body. Happiness, specifically, is caused by the neurotransmitter serotonin being released into your body. Skryter already covered the second half of this though. What causes each individual's body to release the serotonin that makes us feel "happy" is different for each and every person, and even changes as we age and develop and experience life. When your brain experiences something it likes, it sends a signal to your endocrine system telling it to release serotonin which translates to the physical and emotional feeling of joy and happiness.
No need for apologizing. :) It's your opinion on happiness, and all opinions are welcome. I haven't researched the science behind our emotions much, but I would assume your description of the process of emotions in our brains is correct.

But let's consider the word "happiness" for a second... by your definition, it would appear to be the fleeting kind - the type of happiness that comes and goes depending on circumstances and external stimuli. But what about joy? By "joy" I mean the type of "happiness" that is long-lasting... that seems to exist in some people or at certain times despite the circumstances (I'm not trying to get into semantics here; I'm just trying to distinguish the two types of happiness that come to mind: temporary happiness and then enduring happiness).

As much as I love philosophies, they are pretty useless. They are single sided answers to very complex questions. The truth is happiness can be any combination of those philosophies or things not covered by those 4 philosophies and is unique for each person. This holds true to everything from religions to theories in international affairs. By attempting to look at the world through the lens of a single theory or philosophy, you subject yourself to tunnel vision and blind yourself to the bigger picture.

So, I assume you believe the key to happiness is also complex? Then don't you think a mere scientific approach is a bit too simplifying? I'm not saying that science is simple by any means, but can science really explain everything? Can it always explain the "bigger picture"? What about love, for example?

Yes, there are different levels of happiness that can be any combination of the philosophies listed or something that was not covered. It is also unique for each person, yes. But to what extent? Is there something out there that could give someone true joy, no matter who the person is (I'm sure you already know my answer to this, but I'm curious to hear your response)?

:)

If people are easily drawn into fights simply because they take part in a conversation that involves the sharing and the philosophical discussion of their differing opinions/beliefs towards any given subject, then they're probably not mature enough to reply to a thread specifically chosen to be listed in the mature discussion forum in the first place.

As always, thanks for the interesting discussions serenity. :p

If people are easily drawn into fights simply because they take part in a conversation that involves the sharing and philosophical discussion of their differing opinions/beliefs towards any given subject, then they're probably not mature enough to reply to a thread specifically chosen to be listed in the mature discussion forum in the first place.

As always, thanks for the interesting discussions serenity. :p
Doesn't stop them from doing it, or us from hearing about it later.. just saying.

Enjoy the convo, I'm leaving because I, actually, do not know happiness. Never have.

tumblr_mff1txlfPu1rs7k3ko1_500.jpg

A blog does not allow for in-depth discussion through the use of the 'reply' feature of forum threads. It also does not allow for the use of hilarious pictures and memes.
Elaboration on why philosophy is useless, please?

These are my favorite threads, btw.

Back