WWII Discussion Thread

German soldier with his arm blown off:
Oh jeez, what a way to start my day. Spoiler please? :confused:

I only appreciate Hitler as an Artist. Other than that, I hate him.
My birthday, August 6th, is also the anniversery of the Bomb dropped on Hiroshima :(

(Don't know where else I would put this)

Epic thread revive. Not much discussion but a amazing amount of rare WW2 photos that could spark discussion. A thread that was archived on 4chan that has a shit ton of amazing WW2 and Vietnam photos (mostly WW2).
Yes it is a 4chan thread but damn some of these pictures I didn't even know exist.
http://4chanarchive.org/brchive/dspl_thread.php5?thread_id=320822701&x=High-Res+World+War+IIVietnam

German soldier with his arm blown off:
1302072553376.jpg

Very rare photo of hitler before WW2:
1302073609895.jpg

Bunch more in the thread for those who love WW2 pictures.
Hmmmm.... apparently there's a malicious link on the first picture. Anyone else getting this? Seems weird.

I recently read a book about life as an enlisted man. It's called Up Front by Bill Maudlin. It was very interesting. Maudlin used to draw comics for the GI magazine Stars and Stripes. Here are some of them:

Mauld1_small.108215029_std.jpg

willie_and_joe_cartoon_21_130.jpg

Mauld3_small.jpg

I freaking love this series. It's hard to believe all that in the video was taken over 65 years ago.

I have a friend who has always taken interest in one of Hitlers greatest generals. Rommel was his name, and supposedly he disagreed with much, if not all of what Hitler was doing and respected his enemies. He had been apart of a coup against Hitler, but Hitler found out. However, since they were such good friends, Hitler politely asked Rommel to commit suicide so that Hitler wouldn't have to kill his whole family.

Wow, I did not know this.

Ireland interned both Allied and German POW's for violating its neutrality.

I have a friend who has always taken interest in one of Hitlers greatest generals. Rommel was his name, and supposedly he disagreed with much, if not all of what Hitler was doing and respected his enemies. He had been apart of a coup against Hitler, but Hitler found out. However, since they were such good friends, Hitler politely asked Rommel to commit suicide so that Hitler wouldn't have to kill his whole family.

Politely asked to commit suicide. There's something so prim and sinister about that.

Wow, I did not know this.

Ireland interned both Allied and German POW's for violating their neutrality.

Very well made film. Premise seems hilariously improbable but not impossible. Interesting fact, never knew that.

Ahh.. Rommel. That glorious son of a bitch.

Hate hitler for his actions against him but god damn he was a incredible tank commander. I always loved the belittling attitude Patton had against Rommel. Such a great battle. Still, I don't blame hitler for his suspicion but his finals days seem all so surreal. Either kill himself and go down as a german hero. Or face war crimes and be publicly shamed and then sentenced to death. His final hours were some very interesting ones.

This was the account from his son the final hour he was alive..

A few minutes later I heard my father (Rommel) come upstairs and go into my mother's room. Anxious to know what was afoot, I got up and followed him. He was standing in the middle of the room, his face pale. 'Come outside with me,' he said in a tight voice. We went into my room. 'I have just had to tell your mother that I shall be dead in a quarter of an hour.' He was calm as he continued: 'To die by the hand of one's own people is hard. But the house is surrounded and Hitler is charging me with high treason. ' "In view of my services in Africa, I am to have the chance of dying by poison. The two generals have brought it with them. It's fatal in three seconds. If I accept, none of the usual steps will be taken against my family, that is against you. They will also leave my staff alone.'

After this he went with the 2 generals, was given the poison and about 20 minutes later took the poison. A sad ending for one of the few German generals I really respected.

Stuff like this is still unfathomable to me...

Shoe deposit for prisoners at Auschwitz before being burned hours later...
n5.jpg

n7.jpg

7-GK_16570.jpg

Don't know where else to put this but found a very VERY awesome blog. Guy finds old pictures from WWII era, goes to the exact location and takes a photo at the exact same angle and everything. Then overlaps and cuts a certain part of the old one out on top of the new one.
Result, the haunting beautiful past.
000e21re

http://sergey-larenkov.livejournal.com/

I wonder if someone has done something similar for mainland Japan. So far, I haven't found anything.

Because of the Allied bombing (both conventional and fire, but especially the latter), a lot of pre-war Japanese architecture was destroyed. There are only a few cities in Japan (like Kyoto) that still have buildings built in this style, but the number is shrinking as efforts to modernize and costs of maintaining such homes continue to rise.

More about that here.

Little known fact, but the Nazis actually got their ideas about eugenics, and the concentration camps from how the United States government treated the Native Americans. During the 20's and 30's, the government was sterilizing Indians and other citizens they considered genetically unfit (this included other minorities, poor people and people with mental illnesses). Also, the herding of Indians onto reservations inspired the Nazis to make those camps. They just took it several steps farther.

Back