• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

A proposition. Read the WHOLE thing, it might change how you think about this.

People will still have projects going at the next wipe, I guarantee. People won't just stop doing stuff because a wipe is coming. Also, I know, as does anyone else who has been here for a while, that it won't be wiped for a while. This thread was made to make people think.
Think about what though? That people get bored? If so, then like I said earlier, if it went their way it would just be constant wipes every time the excitement from the new world ends, becoming the "daily grind" thing, whatever that means.

To quote my gf, "If you're bored playing Minecraft, you're doing it wrong."

Explain why it should be wiped though? Tons of people are still having projects they're doing.

And bottom line, Woot's not going to wipe it unless it needs to be, not just a few people are bored.

Because I agree with Squirley.
I was actually thinking there were more bored people and less people having projects, but I could be wrong. I don't really know how many projects you have planned or started in Haven for now.
This world was created 6 months ago, that looks old enough to me.
I could have tried to join Haven, and agree with you and say no to a wipe, but I'm playing something else too. I might come back if there was a wipe. Nowadays I never see more than 2 friends online, and maybe they would come back too. Maybe.
Now I guess from Woot's message that there won't be any wipe soon. I didn't realize that before I replied.

the world should be wiped in 1 month, for summer holidays

Then if you prefer, in 2 months, for august.

We have too much vested.

Find a blank area, build something new, join a town with projects in motion. Haven is starting a modern city area across the lake from where we currently are. We are currently flattening the plains, then going to start city planning.

Those will take awhile and will consume our thirst for something new. So why don't you do the same?

What difference will the wipe make? Eventually you will got bored with the new map. As for large biomes, there are lots of tools that will allow you to change a biome, and there is also still lots of map that can be opened if we need space. Lots of ungenerated chunks that will have all the new stuff. Items will be there anyway.

I've been playing the snapshot and there isn't much difference.

Again, too many players are just starting towns, and too many players have too much vested.

Sure, eventually a wipe may come, or worlds may come back, but that point is obvious and a post wasn't really needed to state so. There are plenty of old threads on this same subject.

If you haven't noticed already, world generation is changing in 1.3. Though it's not enough to cause a wipe, I have a feeling that sooner or later, we're going to encounter a major change that does require one. It's inevitable.

EDIT: As far as woot's suggestion of playing something else, it doesn't have to be another game, or another server. Singleplayer is actually quite fun! I just finished a blaze farm.

Protip: Try playing something else.

Over the past week alone, on Mumble we've played Minecraft, GTA: SA Multiplayer, Killing Floor, Diablo 3, and Terraria.
Shit, I missed the GTA:confused:A?? grr! never got the chance to play that one on multiplayer :(

I think most of the fun of the game is getting started and "surviving". I just don't see the joy in being complacent and doing the same thing over and over again. On the other hand I don't really play the game anymore.

What are you doing that involves doing the same thing again and again? Join a more active city. We are building a modern city which will involve skyscrapers and modern loft homes.

Find a blank area and "survive" in the wilderness. It'll be more fun that way because, you also will have to protect yourself from "pirates" who will try to get your stuff since it's not protected by towny.

Minecraft appeals to those with lots of imagination, and it will quickly diminish in playability if you don't reach deep down and give it a chance.

Wiping the map is a good way of starting over and keeping the game fresh, but what about people with lots of hard work involved?

I invite you to come down/up (depending on where you are) to Haven sometime. Look at what we are building. Check out Kagato's giant tree atop a hill. Check out Bracabrad's glorious bridge. Kagato isn't even finished, and our city build will at least consume the next few months.

That's not even just our city, there are other's I am sure who are the same.

Then there is the player set who are just joining our server, getting their towns established.

I think that perhaps we should bring back the worlds like we had before. With one being the current map, and another being the "wilds" were "storms" can reset the map at any given time. This way you appeal to both player sets.

Quick question: Will we ever have a map where the worlds are connected by portals again? I really liked that set-up and it was one of the things that made The Outlands/Oxytown/Eagle Pass/Elm Creek so great. Also, that world only lasted for 5 months and people were still in the middle of huge projects. No matter what time we wipe the map, there will always be players who want to finish their builds. It's inevitable. Just as "no more room" is a ridiculous reason, "I need to finish my projects" also seems unreasonable. I'm not asking for a server wipe because I stopped playing Minecraft in December, but I think people need to not cling to the current map so much. Someday, there will be a wipe and you will have to abandon your incomplete builds. Even if that day was today, you still wouldn't have a choice.

Quick question: Will we ever have a map where the worlds are connected by portals again? I really liked that set-up and it was one of the things that made The Outlands/Oxytown/Eagle Pass/Elm Creek so great. Also, that world only lasted for 5 months and people were still in the middle of huge projects. No matter what time we wipe the map, there will always be players who wanted to finish their builds. It's inevitable. Just as "no more room" is a ridiculous reason, "I need to finish my projects" also seems unreasonable. I'm not asking for a server wipe because I stopped playing Minecraft in December, but I think people need to not cling to the current map so much. Someday, there will be a wipe and you will have to abandon your incomplete builds. Even if that day was today, you still wouldn't have a choice.
fuuu cathy, stop ninja-ing what I'm trying to write XD

But yes. This current map has lasted for SIX months. I think that's more than enough time to build a house.

Quick question: Will we ever have a map where the worlds are connected by portals again? I really liked that set-up and it was one of the things that made The Outlands/Oxytown/Eagle Pass/Elm Creek so great. Also, that world only lasted for 5 months and people were still in the middle of huge projects. No matter what time we wipe the map, there will always be players who wanted to finish their builds. It's inevitable. Just as "no more room" is a ridiculous reason, "I need to finish my projects" also seems unreasonable. I'm not asking for a server wipe because I stopped playing Minecraft in December, but I think people need to not cling to the current map so much. Someday, there will be a wipe and you will have to abandon your incomplete builds. Even if that day was today, you still wouldn't have a choice.
Not that I was around directly at the end of that map, but wasn't that wiped because of Towny? Not because people were "bored".

I don't think it was ever wiped for that reason.

Not that I was around directly at the end of that map, but wasn't that wiped because of Towny? Not because people were "bored".

I don't think it was ever wiped for that reason.
I never said it was wiped because people were bored. I don't know the reason why it was wiped, but my point is that people were in the middle of projects when it was and I think a server wipe at any time now will still have a similar outcome.

I never said it was wiped because people were bored. I don't know the reason why it was wiped, but my point is that people were in the middle of projects when it was and I think a server wipe at any time now will still have a similar outcome.
If there actually is a major reason for a wipe (aka, one that can't be solved with a store, changing biomes, or expanding the map) I'm sure there will be a wipe, and while of course no one likes their builds being gone, I'm sure they'll deal with it.

However, the only argument being made for a wipe here is "I'm bored". That's not a very good reason for wanting a wipe. You can do things to not be bored. And like me and Jerzey pointed out a few times already, even with a new map, the people that got bored with this one are going to quickly get bored with the next.

A lot of the people that are saying this world needs a wipe, were saying it needed a wipe after a month. Two, at the most.

Haven just wants to control the world and play creative mode. Just sayin'.

Look guys, you aren't the server. There hasn't been much discontent about a wipe from anyone except Haven. You certainly are not the majority of the server. Other people cannot even begin to have fun on the server, and don't want to join a town (Your standard excuse of letting yourselves get more time in to build whatever you want, things that nobody other than you really cares about), so you'll enslave them, have them mine you diamonds so you can claim the rest of the land on the map?

Also, sorry if this makes anyone unhappy, this is just my opinion on some parts of Haven. Also, forgive any grammar/ conventions errors, I just woke up.

Look guys, you aren't the server. There hasn't been much discontent about a wipe from anyone except Haven. You certainly are not the majority of the server. Other people cannot even begin to have fun on the server, and don't want to join a town (Your standard excuse of letting yourselves get more time in to build whatever you want, things that nobody other than you really cares about), so you'll enslave them, have them mine you diamonds so you can claim the rest of the land on the map?

Also, sorry if this makes anyone unhappy, this is just my opinion on some parts of Haven. Also, forgive any grammar/ conventions errors, I just woke up.
Holy shit this.

The crap about Haven is absurd. Just saying.

Haven is the only one that seems discontent about a wipe because, of the towns that don't want a wipe, we're on the forums the most (Guess what, Haven isn't even the largest town, there's a few larger than us in population) There's not THAT many people replying to this thread, if you notice.

If someone doesn't want to be part of a town, then they're screwed. Woot has said he will NOT handle that grief, basically if you're not in a town, it's your fault you got griefed. I'm not sure what you mean by "cannot even begin to have fun" either.

Don't make this about just Haven. Don't get mad at us because we actually have things to do while you sit in your tiny towns bored and lonely.

I like stability, and wiping every couple of months is absurd. A wipe may be inevitable, that I can be sure of, but I would prefer woot to perform the wipe because features in the game required so, not because a bunch of towns have no room for ideas and want to start over.

Want to start over? Demolish your city and start anew.

EDIT: a look at map.team9000.net will show that our cities do not take up even 25% of the map. There are lots of cities in the central area, so go to the west and east and there is plenty of open space where you could "survive".

From this, I'm going to guess nobody from Haven has ever been around to tell you just how wrong you are, so your opinions have gone unchecked for longer than most.

We don't want creative-mode because we like to work for our creations, it's just the way we are. Just sayin'.

Look, we know we aren't the server. Just because our town holds more of the long-standing members than any other town doesn't mean we think we are.

There hasn't been much discontent about a wipe from anywhere else because most of everyone else isn't mature enough to realize that there's a metric shit-ton still to do in this map. Also, nobody else has put in as much time building as the Haven members, so nobody else has as much attachment to this map.

I don't even know what you mean that people can't begin to have fun. What the fuck is that about? It's easy to begin to have fun. Start building like you would on any other server. Eventually, join a town or start your own. We usually suggest joining a town because it's generally more fun for everyone involved.

Our standard excuse? I don't even. That doesn't even make sense. Of course the things we build are only cared about by ourselves. Do you think we give half a shit what you build either? The answer is no, of course. Yeah, we want time to build what we want to build (duh?); if you don't, then you don't seem to understand the point of Minecraft. Perhaps GMod is more your pace?

We'll mine our own diamonds, thanks. Nobody who joins our town is forced to do anything other than build something awesome. The town's stores are maintained by volunteers, our funds are donated, and we don't follow any particular theme. My build is an entirely empty plot (on the surface)!

Yes, we would like to claim more land. Why? We need more room for awesome builds. NOT because we want to take over the server, that's not a serious thing. It's a running joke, and if you take it seriously you need to get out more. Yeah, we had one hostile takeover with someone who decided to found his town where we were planning to expand (there was an offered peaceful option, his own fault that he didn't take it), and we gave him fair compensation in the end anyway. Yeah, we had quite a few hostile discussions with another town that decided to destroy a landscape near us for the sake of building a skull; but we like our view as beautiful as the builds near it (ie. not looking like TNT grief).

And yes, we have a lot of pride. Yes, we're often arrogant. Yes, we're quite a bit like an old boys' club. We have a reason to be. Take a walk through Haven and look at the beauty. The awesome. The epic. We hold most of the server's talented builders, most of the dedicated miners, and most of the long-time members of the community. Not many towns can claim to have absolutely zero non-aesthetically pleasing builds. Not many towns can claim to have more than one member who has mined for 18 hours straight on a regular basis. Not many towns can claim to have more than 5 "well-known members" in their roster.

Am I opposed to a wipe? No. Am I clamoring for one? Also no. I don't think a wipe is what this server needs right now. I think it would be a good thing though. Give it a month or two before a wipe.

Back