Boston Marathon Explosion

The events that I experienced earlier today have had a profound impact on me. I have spent the majority of the day doing some serious soul searching as I try to find meaning in the muddled mess of experiences, better or for worse, that constitute life.

As I thought about life and death and the meaning of it all, I found myself reading the speech that Steve Jobs gave at a Stanford commencement ceremony.

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart...

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

I came to the realization that if I had died today, I would not have been satisfied by what I had accomplished in life. I would not have lived my last day as if it were in fact my last. Through the commotion of growing up and focusing on an education, I have not spent nearly enough time doing the things I really care for and enjoy in life. Because of my shyness and fear of embarrassment I have missed out on developing relationships with people I like and people I love. Knowing that life could end as abruptly as it began, I am beginning to see that there is no reason to fear embarrassment. There is only the joy of knowing that you are doing the things you love most with the people you love most for as long as the world allows.

I will always remember that death is life’s crowning creation. Knowing that tomorrow I may not wake up again is a call to arms today. Today is the day to help someone, to thank someone, to love someone. Today is the day to smile. I think that this is the way that we, as a nation and as a species, can overcome the seemingly endless onslaught of violence and cruelty that have become all too familiar in this day and age.

TL;DR Don't worry. Be happy.

I'll post my opinion on the subject when I have access to a computer. The majority of you will probably not like it.

People are so retarded. Twitter is insane at the moment.
"@x_natalieJade: Two bombs gone off in Boston! Probably them paki terrorist cunts again! Black fucks hate em all !!"

People are going as far as suggesting North Korea had something to do with the bombings.
Others seem to be saying it is Westboro Baptist Church behind the attacks.
So much misinformation and speculation.

The majority of you will probably not like it.
*grabs popcorn*

Others seem to be saying it is Westboro Baptist Church behind the attacks.
speak of the devil
literally
559040_440937532666553_2030412521_n.jpg

speak of the devil
literally
He's not even kidding.
Go to the WBC Twitter page; it's filled with them claiming that the bombs are "God's vengeance" because of same-sex marriage.

...which, you know, totally makes sense

The events that I experienced earlier today have had a profound impact on me. I have spent the majority of the day doing some serious soul searching as I try to find meaning in the muddled mess of experiences, better or for worse, that constitute life.

As I thought about life and death and the meaning of it all, I found myself reading the speech that Steve Jobs gave at a Stanford commencement ceremony.

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart...

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

I came to the realization that if I had died today, I would not have been satisfied by what I had accomplished in life. I would not have lived my last day as if it were in fact my last. Through the commotion of growing up and focusing on an education, I have not spent nearly enough time doing the things I really care for and enjoy in life. Because of my shyness and fear of embarrassment I have missed out on developing relationships with people I like and people I love. Knowing that life could end as abruptly as it began, I am beginning to see that there is no reason to fear embarrassment. There is only the joy of knowing that you are doing the things you love most with the people you love most for as long as the world allows.

I will always remember that death is life’s crowning creation. Knowing that tomorrow I may not wake up again is a call to arms today. Today is the day to help someone, to thank someone, to love someone. Today is the day to smile. I think that this is the way that we, as a nation and as a species, can overcome the seemingly endless onslaught of violence and cruelty that have become all too familiar in this day and age.
That TL;DR should be taken out. If people can't read that, then fuck'em... and not in a good way!

Well I've ready every post in this thread, so TL;DR doesn't apply to me. As for the WBC their a bunch of idiots! Strat I'm sorry you have had to experience that today. It's always a shock at how simply life can be given or taken away.

As for WBC, BAN THE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH FROM ENTERING BOSTON AND PICKETING THE FUNERALS OF THOSE WHO DIED DURING THE BOMBING Hmmm sounds like a great petition to me! There's tons of petitons and several that are directed at WBC such as one I've signed previously to "Revoke the tax exempt status of the Westboro Baptist Church & re-classify Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group."

Also just had to mention this last thing... Since when can cigarette's get married and why would "God" be furious over it if they could? Their an inanimate object! My god the people of WBC need to quit their inbreeding.

Edit: P.S. please excuse me for linking those petitions, but I feel they are truly important.

speak of the devil
literally
Look at the bright side: several members of the WBC left because of various funeral protests. There's no way that they will get into Boston, but the fact that they'll try should do the same amount of damage to their group.

130416-martin-richard-jsw-654a.photoblog600.jpg

The eight-year-old boy killed in the sudden blasts at the Boston Marathon was identified as Martin Richard of Dorchester, Mass.

Richard was at the race to watch his father cross the finish line, NBC affiliate WHDH reported. The boy's mother and father were identified as William and Denise Richard by the Boston Globe. The boy's mother and his six-year-old sister were reported to have been seriously injured in the explosion. A third child has been reported uninjured.

208940_427060407336068_104691687_n.jpg

Krystle Campbell, 29, of Arlington, Massachusetts, has been named as the second confirmed death from Boston Marathon bombings.

speak of the devil
literally
Now that is just sickening. I don't care how unwilling they are when it comes to accepting gay marriage but to celebrate the deaths and injuries of others is too far. I am outraged that some people are so hateful that they can accept a tragedy like this as a gift. There is a difference between following beliefs and being complete assholes. I am having extreme difficulty writing this because words cannot describe how outraged I am. All I have left to say is that the celebration of this event by the WBC shows a complete lack of respect for human life. Strat, I am happy that you are alright and I hope that you, and the rest of Boston will remain safe after this tragic event.

To the WBC: "The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him" - Daniel 9:9

Nothing about this situation calls for humor.
It does however. It would be better for people not to beat themselves up over this, or to be down and have it affect them an awful lot. I can speak from experience.

As long as it's prefaced properly. Like this:

"If I can't laugh, I would die." - Abraham Lincoln to Secretary of War Edwin Stanton on why he would read from his joke book while the Civil War raged in full force

As long as it's prefaced properly. Like this:

"If I can't laugh, I would die." - Abraham Lincoln to Secretary of War Edwin Stanton on why he would read from his joke book while the Civil War raged in full force

I was merely re-stating what he said which I found to sound like a meme. I am sorry if a bit of humor made you feel worse. :)
Also, just popped up on my newsfeed. Sometimes people amaze me.
66832_391194430995030_1217172177_n.jpg

I was merely re-stating what he said which I found to sound like a meme. I am sorry if a bit of humor made you feel worse. :)
Also, just popped up on my newsfeed. Sometimes people amaze me.
66832_391194430995030_1217172177_n.jpg
Where did she die? Because I've only heard of the three at the Boston Marathon, and the 8 yr. old was male.

Just wondering, sorry.

Back