• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Contest 021: I ???? Minecraft!

I just like seeing the amazing shit people can make out of a handful of colored cubes.
Almost every day i get amazed by something new.

I love minecraft because I get to see all of the amazing things that people can make. Just thinking about the days and weeks people can put into making a single structure is crazy.

I love it because... MineCraft, PineCraft, FineCraft, WhineCraft, NineCraft, VineCraft, DineCraft, LineCraft, WineCraft, MineShaft... you get the idea

I just discovered the Team9000 Contest thread about 1 minute ago, and I figure I'll go ahead and respond to this week's prompt, due to the fact that my response is one I've already been explaining to interested passerby's all week long. It can be summed up as a combination of my personal background, situational discovery of the Minecraft program, and subsequent discovery of the Team9000 artistic community which, all together, form the foundation for my deep appreciation of, and respect for, this creative microcosm titled "Minecraft".
First things first, I need to explain a little bit about who I am, where I've been, and where I'm going. This will, undoubtedly, be of additional interest to any of the readers for whom getting to know me has been a declared interest (I want to get to know you all, too, you know who you are, I'll get on mumble this week, I promise). My personal details will be saved for those I just mentioned, but on a general basis, I'm a full-time senior studying Psychology and minoring in Japanese and Biology. I work two jobs: I manage the Architecture and Mechanical engineering computer labs at my University (Yes, my major is Psychology), and I deliver pizza part-time a well. It's important to know this about me because it is important to realize that someone in a similar life situation as mine doesn't have much free time. Now, it is also imperative to understand that I am of an artistic nature: It permeates every aspect of my life in terms of how I view, interpret, and wish to shape the world. Beyond my academic goals, I am an actor, a painter, a writer, a musician...I need creative outlets. Moreso, and this is what should be taken as very important from all of this, is that I respect creative outlets which challenge me while at the same time allow me extreme independence, spring forth communities of fellow artists, and allow impressive results to be brought forth from limited allowances, or "rules". Now that you know the setup, we should probably move on to how I discovered the program itself.
I was reading through the various stories on Digg.com several weeks ago, and came across one article entitled "Why More Video Games Should Be Like Minecraft", and, seeing as I had never heard of it before, I read the article. Terms like "virtual sandbox", and "lego multiplayer for ages 1-101" hooked me from the get go. I went to Minecraft's site, and made an account. Simple! Then I went to the SrvList and scrolled for a server that had a lot of people on it...Team9000 was my first choice. I said "Meh, let's check this thing out," and clicked to load it up. I had no idea that at that moment I was due to discover something beautiful. From the very first block I laid, I was having fun. When I started going underground, I was riled up. When I started going up, I was ecstatic. When I discovered the possibility of virtual art within the Team9000 community...
I was hooked. I decided I wanted to make projects, but I needed to know my canvas a little better. After many, many questions answered by members of the community, and much trial and error and experimentation within the program, I felt confident I could begin. Every project I built, I decided, would require 100% of my effort and abilities, and I could not cut any corners. You all know the rest. It was then that I started making friends within the Team9000 community, and really having fun in ways that I couldn't do if it were single player. I also noticed that I started answering questions that even newer players began asking, without even realizing it. I began to know why I loved Minecraft.
So there it is. This is the most thorough and realistic way for me to answer this week's question. In a nutshell, if I had to say the number one reason why I love Minecraft, however, I can sum it up in two words:

Community Art.

~Lifeminer

I just cant decide on my main number 1 reason of loving this game but these are my main ones.

Minecraft is a simple game that is easy to start off, but as you move on through the game you can make new things that can have more complexity , e.g. tnt traps, mob traps.
Another thing that helps a lot with the creative people is the invedits, say your trying to make a sprite or something and you need a black colour obsidian would work best but it is pretty hard to obtain, so thats where the invedit comes in hand.

and that is why i love this game

I just discovered the Team9000 Contest thread about 1 minute ago, and I figure I'll go ahead and respond to this week's prompt, due to the fact that my response is one I've already been explaining to interested passerby's all week long. It can be summed up as a combination of my personal background, situational discovery of the Minecraft program, and subsequent discovery of the Team9000 artistic community which, all together, form the foundation for my deep appreciation of, and respect for, this creative microcosm titled "Minecraft".
First things first, I need to explain a little bit about who I am, where I've been, and where I'm going. This will, undoubtedly, be of additional interest to any of the readers for whom getting to know me has been a declared interest (I want to get to know you all, too, you know who you are, I'll get on mumble this week, I promise). My personal details will be saved for those I just mentioned, but on a general basis, I'm a full-time senior studying Psychology and minoring in Japanese and Biology. I work two jobs: I manage the Architecture and Mechanical engineering computer labs at my University (Yes, my major is Psychology), and I deliver pizza part-time a well. It's important to know this about me because it is important to realize that someone in a similar life situation as mine doesn't have much free time. Now, it is also imperative to understand that I am of an artistic nature: It permeates every aspect of my life in terms of how I view, interpret, and wish to shape the world. Beyond my academic goals, I am an actor, a painter, a writer, a musician...I need creative outlets. Moreso, and this is what should be taken as very important from all of this, is that I respect creative outlets which challenge me while at the same time allow me extreme independence, spring forth communities of fellow artists, and allow impressive results to be brought forth from limited allowances, or "rules". Now that you know the setup, we should probably move on to how I discovered the program itself.
I was reading through the various stories on Digg.com several weeks ago, and came across one article entitled "Why More Video Games Should Be Like Minecraft", and, seeing as I had never heard of it before, I read the article. Terms like "virtual sandbox", and "lego multiplayer for ages 1-101" hooked me from the get go. I went to Minecraft's site, and made an account. Simple! Then I went to the SrvList and scrolled for a server that had a lot of people on it...Team9000 was my first choice. I said "Meh, let's check this thing out," and clicked to load it up. I had no idea that at that moment I was due to discover something beautiful. From the very first block I laid, I was having fun. When I started going underground, I was riled up. When I started going up, I was ecstatic. When I discovered the possibility of virtual art within the Team9000 community...
I was hooked. I decided I wanted to make projects, but I needed to know my canvas a little better. After many, many questions answered by members of the community, and much trial and error and experimentation within the program, I felt confident I could begin. Every project I built, I decided, would require 100% of my effort and abilities, and I could not cut any corners. You all know the rest. It was then that I started making friends within the Team9000 community, and really having fun in ways that I couldn't do if it were single player. I also noticed that I started answering questions that even newer players began asking, without even realizing it. I began to know why I loved Minecraft.
So there it is. This is the most thorough and realistic way for me to answer this week's question. In a nutshell, if I had to say the number one reason why I love Minecraft, however, I can sum it up in two words:

Community Art.

~Lifeminer

What a great read, great to have you onboard.

it totally helped me kick my nicotine habit *twitch-twitch* :DD

kidding. it's fun and reminds me of how some classic games could've turned out (uh, something like that)

note: this entry ineligible to win -- selection constitutes re-selection of valid winner, thanks.

I'd have to say the number one reason for loving minecraft is how vastly varied it can or could become. I mean when it first started I don't think anyone could of thought of how big this could become or how much we would be able to do with it. Such as recreating massive monuments to other great gaming icons of old. Or to build massive fortifications with just dirt? All for (at least in the true single player mode.) just to be safe from the night and it's endless mysterious monsters that spawn all for the hunger of survivalist's flesh.

On a side note, my favorite moment in the survival mode was one time I had started to mine at night near my small house, I had recently filled in some holes in the ground with some glass, so I could work at night. During my small exploration and mining fiasco, a shadow had cast over the area. I looked up to find a spider, I freaked out for a second, but thought "Oh it's just one and it doesn't seem to know I am here. I'll take care of it in the morning."
Morning came
I walked out and was on an immediate hunt for that spider.... Let's just say, he had friends.

So there you have it, my main reason I love Minecraft and a little side story to add to another reason I love Minecraft.

Back