General Anime Discussion Thread

So today I sat around and watching a shit ton of anime:
Evangelion 1.0: Hey this is the same as the original.
Evangelion 2.0: Asuka has one good scene and the rest is butchered, Mari has no purpose, Kaji is still my hero, and Rei has some good moments.
Evangelion 3.0: Pretty good, but they dropped the ball with Kaworu's death.
ME!ME!ME!?: I felt like I was watching a scene from Welcome to the NHK.
Glad to hear you finally watched the Rebuild movies, here's what I thought.

Eva 1.0: Yup. You, me and everyone else in the world said the same thing. Did you also notice the hints that it's taking place after End of Evangelion? (The Red Ocean, the outline of an MP EVA, the blood streak across the moon, the multiple coffins on the moon and Kaworu saying "I'll make you happy this time." Because of the manga's ending, which is drastically different from the anime, there's a universal loop theory running around with this series.)

Eva 2.0: Asuka's opening scene is A MILLION TIMES BETTER this time around. Fuck Mari. And the movie wasn't stellar besides everything after
Zeruel eating Rei and Unit-00
in my opinion and Asuka's opening scene. The Unit-03 fight (although equally as horrifying) was butchered because Toji wasn't the pilot and because Shinji gets blinded and doesn't watch Unit-01 rip it to pieces.

Eva 3.0: Yup, it was pretty good and the soundtrack to this movie specifically was fucking great. I really liked seeing an extended amount of time of Shinji and Kaworu but didn't like Gendo's big dumb visor (I get they're making him look like Keel but he just looks silly to me).

ME!ME!ME!: 2deep4me

Glad to hear you finally watched the Rebuild movies, here's what I thought.

Eva 1.0: Yup. You, me and everyone else in the world said the same thing. Did you also notice the hints that it's taking place after End of Evangelion? (The Red Ocean, the outline of an MP EVA, the blood streak across the moon, the multiple coffins on the moon and Kaworu saying "I'll make you happy this time." Because of the manga's ending, which is drastically different from the anime, there's a universal loop theory running around with this series.)

Eva 2.0: Asuka's opening scene is A MILLION TIMES BETTER this time around. Fuck Mari. And the movie wasn't stellar besides everything after
Zeruel eating Rei and Unit-00
in my opinion and Asuka's opening scene. The Unit-03 fight (although equally as horrifying) was butchered because Toji wasn't the pilot and because Shinji gets blinded and doesn't watch Unit-01 rip it to pieces.

Eva 3.0: Yup, it was pretty good and the soundtrack to this movie specifically was fucking great. I really liked seeing an extended amount of time of Shinji and Kaworu but didn't like Gendo's big dumb visor (I get they're making him look like Keel but he just looks silly to me).

ME!ME!ME!: 2deep4me
I actually prefer her old introduction. The one good scene I was talking about was the scene with her and Misato talking on the phone. She actually seemed like Asuka in that scene instead of some stupid bitch. In regards to the infinite loop theory I think that they are all separate universes that merge together after 3rd Impact that choose the strongest of each incarnation of a character. The only constant within the series seems to be Rei.

I actually prefer her old introduction. The one good scene I was talking about was the scene with her and Misato talking on the phone. She actually seemed like Asuka in that scene instead of some stupid bitch. In regards to the infinite loop theory I think that they are all separate universes that merge together after 3rd Impact that choose the strongest of each incarnation of a character. The only constant within the series seems to be Rei.
What I didn't like about her introduction in the original anime was it felt like Shinji did most of the work in the Gaghiel fight, despite the fact that only Unit-02 was being used. It didn't really paint the picture that she was gonna be the "Badass #1 pilot" that they were trying to get across when introducing her, plus the fight was also done better in the manga (All that's shown of it is a few shots of Unit-02 one manning it, via a video recording that Misato and Ritsuko are having Shinji and Rei watch).

Also I preferred her anime version over Rebuild BECAUSE she's more of a bitch. It helped paint exactly how fucked up she is and made her the Broken Ace that I love. By downplaying her bitchiness, they're downplaying her psychological trauma, by downplaying her psychological trauma they make her less interesting of a character, by making her less interesting of a character I make a face similar to that of my current profile pic.

TL;DR
The Rebuild movies gave Asuka a better entrance than the anime, but not better than the manga, and watered her character down, which makes me unimpressed.

16.jpg

yay noob question

I'm thinking of starting to watch Hetalia, any suggestions on what site I should use/sites to avoid entirely?

Is The Fate/Zero dub any good? Also, should I watch Fate/Stay afterwards? I heard that Fate/Stay kinda sucks.

Is The Fate/Zero dub any good? Also, should I watch Fate/Stay afterwards? I heard that Fate/Stay kinda sucks.
Fate/Zero has a fine dub. Stay Night is kinda iffy. Watch the remake of Fate/Stay if you want to see where the story goes. Also check out Fate/Illya if you want a fun loli magical girl show to watch.

Watch the Studio Deen Adaption of FSN first subbed, and yes, it is kinda sucky.

Fate Zero has an excellent dub, so it's up to your discretion whether you watch it in Jap or Eng, but I'd watch it after FSN (2007?) for a higher level of enjoyment.

Then I'd start watching FSN (2014) which is currently airing.

Alright, thanks. I guess I'm gonna suffer through FSN sub and then watch Fate/Zero dubbed; I find I enjoy it more if it's a good dub in English since I get to pay more attention to the animations.
I suggest getting practice with subtitles, there's nothing distracting about them once you get used to it. Sometimes I find myself wishing for subtitles in the English shows I watch, or in the simple Japanese raws I watch, just because it's habitual and nice.

I suggest getting practice with subtitles, there's nothing distracting about them once you get used to it. Sometimes I find myself wishing for subtitles in the English shows I watch, or in the simple Japanese raws I watch, just because it's habitual and nice.
I mean, if the dub sucks or even if it isn't as good then of course I watch subs, however, it's much more relaxing to kick my feet up and watch then have to read; plus, my eyes aren't as confined to the bottom of the screen and I don't have to quickly switch to look at details in the animation.
I don't think subs will ever be something I just "get used to"; Literally the last 4 anime I've watched have been in Subtitles (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Clannad + afterstory, Code Geass R2, Welcome To The NHK)

Also, This helped convince me to watch the subbed FSN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRwy1Nu5Q2I

Fate/Stay Night spoiler
V V V
Fate/Stay Night: The story of how a trainer falls in love with his Pokemon. But seriously, I didn't find it all that bad. I still enjoyed it, it was about twice as good as SAO (Which isn't saying much).

As a Christmas "gift" for myself, I decided to start a random new anime. I picked Nagi no Asukara...

I now immediately regret that decision since I'm already in the 10th episode. It is sooooooo depressing,

As a Christmas "gift" for myself, I decided to start a random new anime. I picked Nagi no Asukara...

I now immediately regret that decision since I'm already in the 10th episode. It is sooooooo depressing,

Thats why i stopped about halfway aswell. What was the most depressing thing for you?

Back