Good computer or bad computer?

What I meant to say is: Do they have unlimited rewrites? Clayto said they didn't, and you said they can last for 50 years or so which I assume means they do have unlimitied rewrites or they have so many that they can last that long.

Nothing that is re-writeable lasts forever, even CDs. If you rewrite something enough it'll keep enough corrupted data from the previous write that eventually there won't be room for anything else. I think an SSD that can last for 50+ yrs is more than enough time for you to not worry about it running out of space. I would hope that in 50yrs you will have something far better than an SSD to store your data.

Nothing that is re-writeable lasts forever, even CDs. If you rewrite something enough it'll keep enough corrupted data from the previous write that eventually there won't be room for anything else. I think an SSD that can last for 50+ yrs is more than enough time for you to not worry about it running out of space. I would hope that in 50yrs you will have something far better than an SSD to store your data.

Haha yea I see your point. I wasn't really thinking about that when I asked, it was too early. :p

I have heard this from several people. One of them is a CCIE/MCITP I worked with at a data center that sets up enterprise data storage. Another is an ISP server admin. I might still have to take their word for it.

They're right as well. There's typically a big difference between servers and consumer machines when it comes to drive wear patterns. It's not uncommon for high load database servers (where you might actually want an SSD for its low seek times) to just read and write constantly. In this case, an SSD might not be a very good idea.

However, in the consumer world, you will throw your computer away before your SSD dies.

What I meant to say is: Do they have unlimited rewrites? Clayto said they didn't, and you said they can last for 50 years or so which I assume means they do have unlimitied rewrites or they have so many that they can last that long.

They do not have unlimited rewrites. However, on consumer machines, where you aren't reading and writing to disk all day long, modern SSDs have technology built in to shuffle the data around which effectively makes it a non-existent problem.

Oh. And TF2, for Vorsprung. I'll be the medic :D

But guys, listen. Pre built. So I can very minimally upgrade. Although Alienware stated it's completely upgradeable. It's designed to be upgraded, per se.
1: Good man.

2: Even if it's pre-built, I hardly think the components will be so specialized that you can't replace them if need be. I mean, if it was a laptop, it would be a different story. However, I'd just be patient before you rip the thing apart and play three-SSD-monte with it. To upgrade will hit your wallet, no matter how minimal. I would say that you're probably O.K. without switching things up. (I mean, I'm using a 32-bit Dell laptop from '05 and I can still run most games, albeit with awful graphics and speed.)

I'll hush up. I really have no clue about hardware. I would just say to be aware that a lot of these high-end components are often marketed very flash-ily. Ignore the hype before you get anything.

EXACT SAME BUILD :

MEMORY 6GB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) DDR3 at 1333MHz
@Newegg = $37.98

GAMING KEYBOARD Alienware TactX Keyboard
@Dell = $79.99

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
@Newegg = $99.99

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.3GHz
@Newegg = $127.99

OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner
@Newegg = $12.99

KEYBOARD (Two..?) Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard
@Amazon = $14.99

MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse MG100
This only comes bundled with Alienware computers, so there is no fixed price on it.
Estimate ~ $40

VIDEO CARD 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
Once again, this only comes with Alienware computers, and there is no fixed price. The 1.5GB version costs $99.99, so we're going to assume a 1GB version costs $70.
Estimate ~ $70

HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7,200RPM
@Newegg = $124.99

WIRELESS DW1502 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
This only comes bundled with Alienware computers, so there is no fixed price on it.
Estimate ~ $10

POWER SUPPLY 240W External Power Supply
This only comes bundled with Alienware computers, so there is no fixed price on it. What I linked is the closest example I can give.
@Newegg = $14.99

Now, if we add that all up, we get...

~$635.

[$980 - ~$635 = ~$350]

(Don't worry about the American to Canadian price exchange rate, because they are practically identical.)

It's a shame you can't build, mate. You would save $350. You should show this to your parents and convince them that building a computer will not only create a better computer for yourself, but save yourself nice bit of cash.

I have 20 tabs open.

I should add that you can still build way better computers than what i listed for $635.
True dat. Not to mention, if he utilised the saved $350, and added some more in, he could even buy a much better off-the-rack machine, or make a lovely rig.

True dat. Not to mention, if he utilised the saved $350, and added some more in, he could even buy a much better off-the-rack machine, or make a lovely rig.
He can pretty much make a top-of-the-line rig with $1000 if he built. You can easily fit dual 560TIs into a $1000 budget. Shame shame.

Like I had said:

Also keep in mind that an alienware is a prettied up Dell computer and you can probably get a better bang for your buck if you build your own rig. Great price for an alienware though...

The guy's parents aren't letting him build it and for an alienware it is about as good a deal as you can find. I say just let the cat get his alienware remorse free. It will have a year warranty and the drivers will be easy to find. Pretty damn good starter gaming setup if you ask me.

Like I had said:

The guy's parents aren't letting him build it and for an alienware it is about as good a deal as you can find. I say just let the cat get his alienware remorse free. It will have a year warranty and the drivers will be easy to find. Pretty damn good starter gaming setup if you ask me.
I'm not going to deny that pre-builds are often superior in terms of warranty and reliablity.

Back