Incomplete Horror Game Idea

Random question: how do you guys feel about a "one of them" concept? As in, a way to become one of the creaters you are running from? Maybe doing so would have a highly negative outcome, such as an ending where you lose control and murder many people before being killed by a form of law enforcement. Maybe this would increase senses and health, increase speed, and increase immunity to mental damage at the cost of stealth, a permanent mental disorder that makes all living beings look the same, and a bad ending? The decision would be made at a type of alter if a living being were to be sacrificed or something. Please note this idea just came to me and may be terrible.

Also, I think I will rethink crippling damage to just damage that is WAY more difficult to heal than wound. I realize walking around with a broken limb would really make a game less enjoyable. And as to what Chiba said, I believe that those would be additions to mental damage.

a couple ways I could see this enacted include "unlocking" that enemy based upon a combination of 1.) fulfilling/hampering with their backstory, or 2.) disposing them in a near-impossible feat (Basically Achievements sourced from different elements of the game):

Example:
there's an un-killable Lich who lives in a camper van along the river B. He traps, tortures, and cannibalizes (in no particular order) his victims, who are hapless campers/visitors unfortunate enough to trod within his sphere of influence. These are hints tipped from previous scenes in the game, or on/within dead corpses to help you figure this out. The location, of course is on your way between the last area A from which you are pursued by Horror A, heading to area C that is a potential safe-haven.

One achievement required (out of, say four or five during the same playthrough) to unlock playable Lich B is to cause his attention toward Horror A, before it targets you (if you stay in area B long enough, maybe as an optional save-point) This is made difficult with the ability to sneak during a chase near-impossible, and requires timing and finesse to lure the Horror A into one of Lich B's randomized traps (that automatically attract his attention) without triggering any yourself. (and fulfilling variety 2 for unlocking Horror A)
Other achievements may include jamming/triggering all of the traps intentionally without being found, sneaking until you find the Lich's phylactery (where he keeps his soul, therefore his un-killable immortality) inside his camper van that he rarely leaves from, killing the Lich with his own van/traps... you get the drill. Oh, and all the while suffering no Wound Damage until you enter safe-haven C.

Random question: how do you guys feel about a "one of them" concept? As in, a way to become one of the creaters you are running from?

I think this is a really bad idea to add to a horror game.

The player's sense of fear is dispelled if he knows that nothing is out to get him, but instead he is out to get someone. The genre essentially switches to a sort of fighting RPG game with gory elements. The player's mindset switches from running away to kill-everything-on-sight, and all sense of terror that fans expect from a horror game goes out the window. Horror fans hate games with that sudden shift in perspective. You must do one or the other, but never both.

If you're interested in doing something from the perspective of the monsters, it might be more effective not to make it an add-on or feature of a horror game, but instead make it a different game with its own narrative and gameplay mechanics. Prototype comes to mind on this idea.

Just random tidbit of stuff that you might be able to add to the game, you ever hear of Killer's Guilt? When a person kills another for the first time, sometimes it can cause them to start violently puking and make them feel VERY sick overall. I know you were talking about something for mental damage and how you were sick of the fact that some normal person can go on a killing spree and walk out without any repercussions, maybe referencing killer's guilt would be a good way to set that tone.

(Thanks for telling me about killer's guilt Solid Snake, you're my hero)

Just random tidbit of stuff that you might be able to add to the game, you ever hear of Killer's Guilt? When a person kills another for the first time, sometimes it can cause them to start violently puking and make them feel VERY sick overall. I know you were talking about something for mental damage and how you were sick of the fact that some normal person can go on a killing spree and walk out without any repercussions, maybe referencing killer's guilt would be a good way to set that tone.

(Thanks for telling me about killer's guilt Solid Snake, you're my hero)
You enjoy all the killing, that's why! ~Liquid Snake

I actually thought about adding this if you kill a human being. I would say innocent, but in a game that mental illness could strike even the main character, I doubt everyone you encounter will still have their minds...

My brother also added that if you kill multiple people, you should start to grow accustomed to the killing and get less ill. However, it will deteriorate your mental health.

You enjoy all the killing, that's why! ~Liquid Snake

I actually thought about adding this if you kill a human being. I would say innocent, but in a game that mental illness could strike even the main character, I doubt everyone you encounter will still have their minds...

My brother also added that if you kill multiple people, you should start to grow accustomed to the killing and get less ill. However, it will deteriorate your mental health.
If you're doing that, then be sure you add an alternative "Insanity" playstyle.

Don't make it so that "Oh crap, you went insane, bend over, because the game is done for you,"

You should make it so "Insanity" has benefits and drawbacks (think vamparism in skyrim, for example), like you can restore health by eating the people you kill, or I don't know. Make it so that it adds another dimension to the game.

Back