Like the New Windows 8?

After seeing and hearing about Start8, I'm thinking about upgrading.
indeed, that sounds like the only thing that would make it bare-able
well i've had my opinion on win8 since the very 1st screenshot, I hate the tablet design of the OS, there is a reason why i keep almost nothing on my desktop but hidden neatly in folders, and why my icon size is set to the smallest one....

also to quote that one article someone posted here:
"I'll stay with Win7 the next few years and hope for better times with Windows 9. One great thing about Microsoft is that they do have a history of correcting their mistakes."

Lol at people that make fun of Windows 8. I've had it for months and there is not a single problem with it whatsoever. People need to give it a chance. It's a great OS.

Windows 8 should have just been a service pack for windows 7 with all the performance improvements minus the start menu. The flat style can stay. The start menu reminds me of a bad port of an XBOX game to the PC with a horrible UI. It doesn't consider that mice are more precise than fingers and don't need giant buttons or large swipes across 24 inch screens.

You're saying this as the market just got flooded with 20+ inch tablets.

indeed, that sounds like the only thing that would make it bare-able
well i've had my opinion on win8 since the very 1st screenshot, I hate the tablet design of the OS, there is a reason why i keep almost nothing on my desktop but hidden neatly in folders, and why my icon size is set to the smallest one....

also to quote that one article someone posted here:
"I'll stay with Win7 the next few years and hope for better times with Windows 9. One great thing about Microsoft is that they do have a history of correcting their mistakes."

Only the Metro start screen is tablet UI designed. The desktop and file explorer and everything else that was in Win7 is still here.

I'll tell you this, When XP came out everyone loved it, in fact its on some netbooks and its has a service pack 3. when Microsoft pushed people to Vista its was god awful, itunes wouldn't sync well. Call of Duty was hard to get it to run smooth. All of my burn CD music was messed up etc. When Windows 7 came it out it was glory! it was a new improved and it was great! But check this, how old is Windows 7?
only 5 years old right? wtf is Microsoft popping out Win8? I'm happy to hear that you guys are liking it but I'll wait a little. I Don't know
when I'll buy a new pc with win8 but I'll stay as long as i can with win7 and beside, I use 97% of the time Linux then Windows.

I love windows 8

I respect Gaben...but his opinions SUCK

Look back about what he said about the ps3, and now he works with them. There is even linking of your ps3 account with steam.

I think it takes a lot of empowerment away from your average user. Whenever I set up a windows 8 computer, the first thing I do is create desktop shortcuts for windows explorer and control panel. In fact there are windows 8 programs that give users back their start menus. I personally don't like it and tell everyone that is in the market for a new windows machine to buy a windows 7 machine while you can. You can downgrade from 8 to 7 for a little while (like 6 months) but you really have to want it. If there is new hardware that came out for a windows 8 machine it may not have drivers for windows 7.

Edit: I like the surface tablet and the idea behind it. I just wouldn't buy RT because there aren't a lot of apps for it yet. If it takes off in popularity somehow the number of apps will skyrocket. I would think about getting a surface pro if I had a use for one but I need to have a disc drive and multiple USB ports for work....

I understand discussing the pros and cons of Windows 8 vs every other OS but... If you don't like it just don't use it... Everyone has their own preference and style so you can't really force an opinion onto someone else. I haven't had the opportunity to try out Windows 8 but I think the UI looks neat enough. I'm a lazy person and I rarely like to relearn something so I'll probably give it a pass and stick to my 7 until I get a new com or something.

I do not like the Windows 8 start page, it feels like a phone and i don't like that feeling. That is of course just my opinion......

What does that have to do with Metro being unoptimized for keyboard and mouse users?

Because the market is shifting towards touch.

Stop looking at it from a hobbyist point of view. MS does not cater to us. Look at it from the average consumer point of view. Touch enabled PCs are going to soon outsell notebooks. Many companies are no longer producing netbooks. Touch enabled All-in-Ones and now 27" tablet/AIO hybrids are going to be what's in everyone's home. Hell, even I want the new Transformer All-in-One 24" tablet. Microsoft had to get themselves ahead of the curve. 60 million copies of Windows 8 have been sold as of this message, that's both retail, upgrade, and OEM.

For us "prosumers" or "hobbyist" we can still buy a new license of Windows 7, or if you want to be on the cutting edge, then get Windows 8, install Start8 and be happy.

Start 8 LITERALLY SOLVES all of your complaints. Metro is no longer the start menu. You get a Windows 7 start menu with the Windows 8 flat color scheme, you get a cool new Windows 8 logo start button, you can EVEN make it so that the Metro Start app runs inside the Start menu in a mini version and not go full screen. It has control panel, etc, etc. See screenshot:

start8_095.jpg

sizes_full.png

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

Windows 8 is faster, has more optimizations which offload work to the GPU, and starts up in half the time Windows 7 did.

In the end, it's all your preference, but please make it clear that it is your opinion you dislike Windows 8. Do not slander it and make it seem like because you hate it, that it is the worst OS in the world.

Because the market is shifting towards touch.

Stop looking at it from a hobbyist point of view. MS does not cater to us. Look at it from the average consumer point of view. Touch enabled PCs are going to soon outsell notebooks. Many companies are no longer producing netbooks. Touch enabled All-in-Ones and now 27" tablet/AIO hybrids are going to be what's in everyone's home. Hell, even I want the new Transformer All-in-One 24" tablet. Microsoft had to get themselves ahead of the curve. 60 million copies of Windows 8 have been sold as of this message, that's both retail, upgrade, and OEM.

For us "prosumers" or "hobbyist" we can still buy a new license of Windows 7, or if you want to be on the cutting edge, then get Windows 8, install Start8 and be happy.

Start 8 LITERALLY SOLVES all of your complaints. Metro is no longer the start menu. You get a Windows 7 start menu with the Windows 8 flat color scheme, you get a cool new Windows 8 logo start button, you can EVEN make it so that the Metro Start app runs inside the Start menu in a mini version and not go full screen. It has control panel, etc, etc. See screenshot:

start8_095.jpg

sizes_full.png

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

Windows 8 is faster, has more optimizations which offload work to the GPU, and starts up in half the time Windows 7 did.

In the end, it's all your preference, but please make it clear that it is your opinion you dislike Windows 8. Do not slander it and make it seem like because you hate it, that it is the worst OS in the world.

well you would think those that had use it has give it a chance but in my case I haven't upgrade yet. In other thing is I played with it at BestBusy but didn't see a need to change and confusing, what you posted from stardock would be nice until people get use to the new win8. I just think its to soon that windows came up with a new os. And Windows 7 is still fairly new. but if i do get a chance I'll try it on one of my computers

well you would think those that had use it has give it a chance but in my case I haven't upgrade yet. In other thing is I played with it at BestBusy but didn't see a need to change and confusing, what you posted from stardock would be nice until people get use to the new win8. I just think its to soon that windows came up with a new os. And Windows 7 is still fairly new. but if i do get a chance I'll try it on one of my computers

I don't think so.

Windows 95
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 98
v
*2 years later*
v
Windows 2000
v
*7 months later*
v
Windows ME
v
*1 year later*
v
Windows XP
v
*5 years later*
v
Windows Vista
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 7
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 8

Seems normal to me. With iPads and Android tablets flooding the market, Microsoft needed to innovate. What did they do? The combined Windows Phone and Windows 7. The result is Windows 8. With this Microsoft also lessens the fragmentation in their ecosystem. Tablets, desktops, and phones will all be running nearly identical services.

As said before, Windows 7 is still available as a downgrade, new OS, and OEM as well. No excuse to complain as you can roll back with no problems what-so-ever. However, Windows 8 still contains everybit of what you need from 7.

Also, a demo at a kiosk is not enough time to familiarize yourself and get acquainted with Windows 8. You must experience it for yourself in your own home, and at $40.00 for an upgrade, what do you really have to lose? (besides $40.00)

I don't think so.

Windows 95
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 98
v
*2 years later*
v
Windows 2000
v
*7 months later*
v
Windows ME
v
*1 year later*
v
Windows XP
v
*5 years later*
v
Windows Vista
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 7
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 8

Seems normal to me. With iPads and Android tablets flooding the market, Microsoft needed to innovate. What did they do? The combined Windows Phone and Windows 7. The result is Windows 8. With this Microsoft also lessens the fragmentation in their ecosystem. Tablets, desktops, and phones will all be running nearly identical services.

As said before, Windows 7 is still available as a downgrade, new OS, and OEM as well. No excuse to complain as you can roll back with no problems what-so-ever. However, Windows 8 still contains everybit of what you need from 7.

Also, a demo at a kiosk is not enough time to familiarize yourself and get acquainted with Windows 8. You must experience it for yourself in your own home, and at $40.00 for an upgrade, what do you really have to lose? (besides $40.00)

I'll give it a shot for 40$ bucks? i saw it for 70$ at walmart, may be that's the full install and your right, its different looking at it from a store then using it in your home where you have more time to play around more. I got a few computers laying around and give it a shot.
I'm just saving money to buy a nice rig for both windows and Linux since steam is working on having Linux to join the party and i was playing warsow and its so awesome, so smooth and rich that I was thinking i was on windows. Going back to win8, for 40$ thats a done deal, I'll buy it next week

I'll give it a shot for 40$ bucks? i saw it for 70$ at walmart, may be that's the full install and your right, its different looking at it from a store then using it in your home where you have more time to play around more. I got a few computers laying around and give it a shot.
I'm just saving money to buy a nice rig for both windows and Linux since steam is working on having Linux to join the party and i was playing warsow and its so awesome, so smooth and rich that I was thinking i was on windows. Going back to win8, for 40$ thats a done deal, I'll buy it next week

I don't condone piracy (sometimes I do), but maybe download it, install it on a VM or extra hard drive, and just let it kick for awhile. You have 30 days to activate it anyway.

I don't think so.

Windows 95
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 98
v
*2 years later*
v
Windows 2000
v
*7 months later*
v
Windows ME
v
*1 year later*
v
Windows XP
v
*5 years later*
v
Windows Vista
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 7
v
*3 years later*
v
Windows 8

The thing about it is, Windows phones are probably the worst smartphone OS on the market right now.

I disagree. Quite the contrary. Better than apple. Just doesn't have the app market yet.
When I had mine I disliked the OS for the phone a lot. Far more buggy than other devices I've used, not even a sliver of the amount of apps on other OS's for phones, and probably the most restricted for personalization.

Back