Magic: The Gathering Thread

Its got the bones to be a lifegain deck... simply cuz pridemate + soul sisters is foul play in my book.

I think a main problem you'll encounter is mid game when you played all your cards in your hand and are topdecking for a winner.
Fortunately, Green has ways to draw cards.

I'd drop the elixirs for Karametra's favor for more ramp + draw

or you could add big dumb cards like Chalice of Life

329272.jpg

Beware simple but effective board wipes like drown in sorrow.
or Bident of Thassa's ability.

I like Theros. It's imaginary Sparta, its Ancient Greek really except not.
That may help some. I also did notice how dumb the board wipes can be. I once had a friend who made a deck just to ruin mine. It had burn cards that exiled when they killed their target for my soul sisters, a creature that gets stronger every time an opponent gains life (he even gave it trample), and a card that dealt 1 damage to everything on the field.

That may help some. I also did notice how dumb the board wipes can be. I once had a friend who made a deck just to ruin mine. It had burn cards that exiled when they killed their target for my soul sisters, a creature that gets stronger every time an opponent gains life (he even gave it trample), and a card that dealt 1 damage to everything on the field.

A panacea for most board wipes are counter spells...

but for your case, you'll need to get creative like brave the elements; or even golgari charm and protection like Gods willing.
Or a good ol' fashion Giant Growth.

So I'm still attempting to make a Clone Deck. I plan on running Harabaz Druids and using Progenitor Mimic to make more (as they give more mana for each ally on the field, so for every clone copy I make, my max mana literally squares itself)

The idea is that if I have 5 on the field, that's 25 mana of the color of my choosing. 10 makes that 100. of course, this would be pointless with the 4 in deck limit (making me only able to have 4 of them) but the fact that progenitor mimic copies itself a lot, I thought this would be a great mana source. I also plan on running ascetism to prevent my druids from being targeted by spells, and counter cards for board wipes.

My question is this: Are Harabaz Druids a good, reliable source of high mana? I know they are big targets, but if I can keep at least one out, I can create a mana flood.

So I'm still attempting to make a Clone Deck. I plan on running Harabaz Druids and using Progenitor Mimic to make more (as they give more mana for each ally on the field, so for every clone copy I make, my max mana literally squares itself)

The idea is that if I have 5 on the field, that's 25 mana of the color of my choosing. 10 makes that 100. of course, this would be pointless with the 4 in deck limit (making me only able to have 4 of them) but the fact that progenitor mimic copies itself a lot, I thought this would be a great mana source. I also plan on running ascetism to prevent my druids from being targeted by spells, and counter cards for board wipes.

My question is this: Are Harabaz Druids a good, reliable source of high mana? I know they are big targets, but if I can keep at least one out, I can create a mana flood.
Harabaz Druids are good cards in ally decks, but is not necessarily something you want to spend your time wasting clones on. I don't necessarily know what your current intended win condition is, but I highly recommend Biovisionary (https://t9k.me/3cj) as your win condition. With this in mind, you should only be using clones to either copy your Biovisionary, or to stall the board until you can find your Biovisionary.

Now putting my competitive thinking aside and looking at this from a casual perspective, I would say that yes, it is a source of high mana. Reliable? I doubt so. As it requires not only one on the field and protected, but also requires clones to copy it is far from reliable. This also means you are turning the fuel for your deck (clones) into mana.... to cast what? More clones? If that's the case then you should probably pick better targets for your clones that have a higher impact on the board. If this is multiplayer casual, then that means cloning whatever the biggest/best creature on the board is. In casual duels, and NOT going for a combo or alternate win con, then have some fun forcing your opponent to fight their own army.

tl;dr: Harabz Druids is inefficient outside of a purely ally deck. The amount of card advantage you lose outweighs the pros of cloning it. You might as well use your clones for copying a card for a combo win or copying the best creature in play. THERE ARE OTHER GREAT AND MORE EFFICIENT MANA PRODUCERS IN THE GAME.

Harabaz Druids are good cards in ally decks, but is not necessarily something you want to spend your time wasting clones on. I don't necessarily know what your current intended win condition is, but I highly recommend Biovisionary (https://t9k.me/3cj) as your win condition. With this in mind, you should only be using clones to either copy your Biovisionary, or to stall the board until you can find your Biovisionary.

Now putting my competitive thinking aside and looking at this from a casual perspective, I would say that yes, it is a source of high mana. Reliable? I doubt so. As it requires not only one on the field and protected, but also requires clones to copy it is far from reliable. This also means you are turning the fuel for your deck (clones) into mana.... to cast what? More clones? If that's the case then you should probably pick better targets for your clones that have a higher impact on the board. If this is multiplayer casual, then that means cloning whatever the biggest/best creature on the board is. In casual duels, and NOT going for a combo or alternate win con, then have some fun forcing your opponent to fight their own army.

tl;dr: Harabz Druids is inefficient outside of a purely ally deck. The amount of card advantage you lose outweighs the pros of cloning it. You might as well use your clones for copying a card for a combo win or copying the best creature in play. THERE ARE OTHER GREAT AND MORE EFFICIENT MANA PRODUCERS IN THE GAME.
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I'm not just using ANY clone on them. Progenitor Mimic is what I shall use. this clone duplicates itself every upkeep, therefore squaring my mana every turn. I will also run asceticism, which pretty much gives all of my creatures hexproof and a regenerate ability, and counter cards, to prevent boardwipes. My other clones will be used for BIovisionaries, other creatures, ect. (Copy their planeswalkers with Clever Impersonator 3).

I understand your criticism, but you have to think, I only need ONE Progenitor Mimic and ONE Harabaz druid for limitless mana, allowing both your early and late game to be amazing.

Which should I buy, a Battle for Zendikar Booster Box for $104, or that AND a fat pack for $154?

I'd say fat pack only, the bar flys at my games store want all the full art lands cuz they think its a solid investment.

I think i'll get one one too cuz full art lands would be like a dollar a pop 2 years later.

Overall I"m not that hyped for BFZ, I kinda know already the justice league wins. No contest.
I'd be hype for fictional ancient Egypt like they did with Theros being ancient Greek... where undead slaves build great pyramids and sphinxes so the Pharaoh can become god. But I understand they might not want to do it because it references alot of moses who of course is touchy.

Which should I buy, a Battle for Zendikar Booster Box for $104, or that AND a fat pack for $154?
The lands aren't going to be worth investing in IMO. They're not going to go up that much, and if they will it will take many years. That's assuming that don't print any more full art lands. The box has potential, as there will most likely be some chase rares, and the expeditions are always nice to open. If you want the fat pack for the extra cards, go ahead. But if you're getting it for the basics, then I'd recommend not getting it.

I'd say fat pack only, the bar flys at my games store want all the full art lands cuz they think its a solid investment.

I think i'll get one one too cuz full art lands would be like a dollar a pop 2 years later.

Overall I"m not that hyped for BFZ, I kinda know already the justice league wins. No contest.
I'd be hype for fictional ancient Egypt like they did with Theros being ancient Greek... where undead slaves build great pyramids and sphinxes so the Pharaoh can become god. But I understand they might not want to do it because it references alot of moses who of course is touchy.
The lands aren't going to be worth investing in IMO. They're not going to go up that much, and if they will it will take many years. That's assuming that don't print any more full art lands. The box has potential, as there will most likely be some chase rares, and the expeditions are always nice to open. If you want the fat pack for the extra cards, go ahead. But if you're getting it for the basics, then I'd recommend not getting it.
I thought I'd get the fat pack for the lands, the spindle, and the cards. The Booster Box was going to be for more chances at getting my Ulamog and other great cards.

I wanted to revive this thread due to the recent pre-release event for the new block Oath of the Gatewatch. I pulled a Chandra, Flamecaller and a promo Inverter of Truth (which can someone tell me why this card was worth mythic status? It looks really crappy in my opinion.) I put my Chandra in my standard landfall deck and I wanted reviews as to if she was a good add and if the deck is good in general.Here are the contents of the deck:

Planeswalkers (1)
Chandra, Flamecaller x 1 (Want one more)

Creatures (23)
Dragonmaster Outcast x 1 (Want one more)
Grove Rumbler x 2
Makindi Sliderunner x 2 (May remove/replace)
Omnath, Locus of Mana x2 (one is foil)
Oran-Rief Hydra x 2
Scythe Leopard x 4
Snapping Gnarlid x 3
Undergrowth Champion x 3 (one is foil)
Valakut Predator x 4

Enchantments (3)
Retreat to Kazandu x 2
Zendikar's Roil x 1 (want one more)

Artifacts (1)
Sword of the Animist x 1 (want one more)

Instants (4)
Swell of Growth x 4

Sorceries (3)
Nissa's Renewal x 1
Seek the Wilds x 2

Lands (25) (need 4 Wooded Foothills)
Blighted Woodland x 4
Cinder Glade x 3 (need one more)
Evolving Wilds x 4
Forest x 8
Mountain x 6

How It's Played
This deck, as you can see, is based on a lot of Landfall triggers. Almost every creature has a Landfall trigger, and the other cards are either Landfall or land search with the exception of Chandra (I'll explain why)

Omnath is not important, but he is amazing here. Most of the creatures are elementals, and there are three different cards that make elementals (Omnath, Zendikar's Roil, and Chandra's +1) Due to Omnath's second ability, killing any of the elementals will hurt the opponent or their creatures (the weakness being exiling Omnath, which as far as I see is inevitable.)

Chandra in this deck is used to make two 3/1 elementals (that get exiled at the end of the turn), which if Omnath is out on the field basically forces your opponent to eat 6 damage. Her ultimate that costs -x deals x damage to all creatures, which you can use -5 and kill all of your opponent's toughness 5 and below creatures as well as all of your elementals, which if Omnath is out there deals 3 damage per elemental killed to creatures or players of your choosing.. You could buff up Omnath so he won't die, but it isn't necessary.

There is a sideboard also, but I'm out of time. I may add it later. Please let me know what you thing about this deck.

Last edited:
I wanted to revive this thread due to the recent pre-release event for the new block Oath of the Gatewatch. I pulled a Chandra, Flamecaller and a promo Inverter of Truth (which can someone tell me why this card was worth mythic status? It looks really crappy in my opinion.) I put my Chandra in my standard landfall deck and I wanted reviews as to if she was a good add and if the deck is good in general.Here are the contents of the deck:

Planeswalkers (1)
Chandra, Flamecaller x 1 (Want one more)

Creatures (23)
Dragonmaster Outcast x 1 (Want one more)
Grove Rumbler x 2
Makindi Sliderunner x 2 (May remove/replace)
Omnath, Locus of Mana x2 (one is foil)
Oran-Rief Hydra x 2
Scythe Leopard x 4
Snapping Gnarlid x 3
Undergrowth Champion x 3 (one is foil)
Valakut Predator x 4

Enchantments (3)
Retreat to Kazandu x 2
Zendikar's Roil x 1 (want one more)

Artifacts (1)
Sword of the Animist x 1 (want one more)

Instants (4)
Swell of Growth x 4

Sorceries (3)
Nissa's Renewal x 1
Seek the Wilds x 2

Lands (25) (need 4 Wooded Foothills)
Blighted Woodland x 4
Cinder Glade x 2 (need two more)
Evolving Wilds x 4
Forest x 9
Mountain x 6

How It's Played
This deck, as you can see, is based on a lot of Landfall triggers. Almost every creature has a Landfall trigger, and the other cards are either Landfall or land search with the exception of Chandra (I'll explain why)

Omnath is not important, but he is amazing here. Most of the creatures are elementals, and there are three different cards that make elementals (Omnath, Zendikar's Roil, and Chandra's +1) Due to Omnath's second ability, killing any of the elementals will hurt the opponent or their creatures (the weakness being exiling Omnath, which as far as I see is inevitable.)

Chandra in this deck is used to make two 3/1 elementals (that get exiled at the end of the turn), which if Omnath is out on the field basically forces your opponent to eat 6 damage. Her ultimate that costs -x deals x damage to all creatures, which you can use -5 and kill all of your opponent's toughness 5 and below creatures as well as all of your elementals, which if Omnath is out there deals 3 damage per elemental killed to creatures or players of your choosing.. You could buff up Omnath so he won't die, but it isn't necessary.

There is a sideboard also, but I'm out of time. I may add it later. Please let me know what you thing about this deck.
My buddy got me into Magic a couple months ago and I made a landfall deck similar to yours! I can already see some improvements for mine by looking at your list, but I will post it anyway.

Creatures
Dragonmaster Outcast x 1
Belligerent Whiptail x 2 LAN
Akoum Stonewaker x 2 LAN
Valakut Predator x 3 LAN
Lifespring Druid x 2 TO CONV/MANA
Tajuru Stalwart x 3 CONV
Wave-Wing Elemental x 2 LAN

Enchantments
Retreat to Kazandu x 2 LAN
Prism Array x 2 CONV

Artifacts
Slab Hammer x 1 TO LAN

Instants
Swell of Growth x 1 TO LAN & BUFF
Infuse with the Elements x 1 CONV BUFF
Roilmage's Trick x 3 CONV OPP NERF
Stonefury x 2 KILL BIG

Sorceries
Nissa's Renewal x 1 TO LAN
Sylvan Scrying x 2 TO LAN
Radiant Flames x 2 CONV KILL ALL LITTLES
Ugin's Insight x 1 SCRY/DRAW
Exert Influence x 1 CONV BETRAY (For low power big ability/effect creatures.)
Coastal Discovery x 1 DRAW/AWAKEN 4
Clutch of Currents x 3 BOUNCE/AWAKEN 3
Brilliant Spectrum x 2 CONV DRAW

Lands
Cinder Glade x 1 ($4 each at the local Magic shop. Nope, not for me.)
Forest x 6
Fertile Thicket x 2
Mountain x 4
Looming Spires x 2
Island x 4
Skyline Cascade x 2

First, I can't believe I didn't think to put Evolving Wilds in my Landfall deck. Secondly, there is a lot less Landfall in here than I thought. Really only the Belligerent Whiptails, Akoum Stonewakers, and Valakut Predators are useful as Landfall creatures. Oh, and the two Retreat to Kazandu. I put in the Wave-Wing Elementals because I had no flyers, but they are a six cost and only comparable to other six cost flyers when a land drops! Even then, that only applies for attacking; as defenders, they are terrible as there is no chance of getting the +2! They need to go. I might replace them with Lifespring Druid since green seems a bit under-represented and there is a ton of Converge cards that would benefit from them. (And because Lifespring Druid is 15 cents at the Magic shop. ^u^)

Oh, but if I am putting more 2/1 mana making druids in, that makes Radiant Flames less useful. Perhaps I should replace them with another Landfall creature. I have some Scythe Leopards and Snapping Gnarlids, those could be nice. Grove Rumbler is cool too. ( And 35 cents ^u^)

Got any suggestions for whatever-color-you-want lands? The upcoming Colorless (Friday!) lands won't be any good for Converge.

I thought I'd get the fat pack for the lands, the spindle, and the cards. The Booster Box was going to be for more chances at getting my Ulamog and other great cards.
Did you ever get Ulamog? I got it in a booster pack, but my luck has been meh otherwise. I got a Kiora and 3 Ob Nixili for planeswalkers. I have already sold my Tarkir rare lands to bring down the cost for an Oath of the Gatewatch booster box, but it is tempting to do the same with Ulamog.

Did you ever get Ulamog? I got it in a booster pack, but my luck has been meh otherwise. I got a Kiora and 3 Ob Nixili for planeswalkers. I have already sold my Tarkir rare lands to bring down the cost for an Oath of the Gatewatch booster box, but it is tempting to do the same with Ulamog.
Yes I did. I have every mythic from BFZ except the greenwarden and sire. Even 2 Gideons and Kioras.

I'm done with standard. Jaces 3expensive5me. I'm Modern only atm, I have an Oloro control edh, and I'm working on Legacy High Tide.

So I got some of the new cards from a prerelease I won first in, and decided to make a deck. It is red black with a splash of white. This is what I have so far:

Creatures x 25

Archangel Avacyn/Avacyn, the Purifier x 2
Bloodmad Vampire x 4
Drana, Liberator of Malakir x 2
Indulgent Aristocrat x 4
Insolent Neonate x 4
Odric, Lunarch Marshal x 2
Olivia, Mobilized for War x 1
Rancid Rats x 4
Sin Prodder x 2

Instants/Sorceries x 10

Lightning Axe x 4
Sure Strike x 2
Titan's Strength x 2
Tormenting Voice x 2

Enchantments x 2

Stensia Masquerade x 2

Land x 23

Battlefield Forge x 1
Caves of Koilos x 3
Evolving Wilds x 4
Mountain x 7
Plains x 3
Swamp x 5

Any advice for what else I should add?

Last edited:
Crackling Doom is fun. And is also in your colors.

And like I said, I'm not building a standard deck again. Format is far too expensive. I changed my modern deck to UWr Control, and I've had fantastic results with it. I'm picking up a playset of the recently unbanned Ancestral Visions to give it a bit of a kick. I'll be at GP LA next month if anyone else is going.

Oloro is dead as well, thanks to this guy.

lazav.jpg

Going to be a control deck with a bit of voltron to take advantage of the hexproof. All 5 swords with artifact cloning effects will be fun.

On the topic of EDH, here's my commander. (funfact : EDH means Elder Dragon Highlander where the orginal commanders where limited to Elderdragons. ((funfunfact: Tarkir's dragons are Elder dragons for some reason))

Image.ashx

Tasigur... While it is true that bug has amazing cards like consecrated sphinxes, crooof-daddies(cartmanhoofs), and of course a million other crazy mythics... I choose to win in the most heinous invention that man has ever created : politics.

Heres a quick run thru on how to win and what I run.

I run lots of instants... and the best part : they're cheap like gasoline. Has your opponent got a board state that can do a total of 40+ dmg? Put fog in your deck (or better your graveyard). Spend 4 and ask the guy next to you for an obvious answer to your current predicament..

its repeatable until your friend gets tired of your shenanigans.

Another serious strat is asking the question

"should I counter that? I've got a counter in my grave and mana" or

"if you give me that card from my grave I'll remove that filthy enchantment".

That's basically his ability " your best friend is an eternal witness(no lands though) " for 4 mana...

But I'm pretty much defenseless until the mid or late game... so there's that.. but its quite satisfying to eventually turn on your best pal who helped you fetch graveyard things when he becomes the next biggest threat.

Last edited:
So I rarely buy anything less than a fat pack when buying cards and found some fat packs for the new Innistrad line and got one. Last card of the last pack, me am a happy camper.
0OwxhhU.jpg

Back